Fingerprinting

When I applied for my HCP years ago, the fingerprinting was done at the DL Testing Station. My son took his application to the local testing station to get the permit approval ball rolling, only to find that you now have to go to a third party to get this done? Are they trying to make it harder to get your HCP or what?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno,

Typically, they tell him in the permit class where to go. I believe the finger printing is included in the State's fee. I got mine done at Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN (where I took my course...)

Don't really see how it's harder to get it done. All you gotta do is walk in, mine was at a UPS Store, tell them you're here for fingerprints, and you walk out 10 minutes later.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I went to a little clinic, ran my 10 little fingers over the plastic topper machine thingy (<-- Technical Term) and walked out less than 10 minutes later. It was on the way HOME from the DMV, too. :(

I went to a place in West Knoxville, I picked a place called Goin Postal. I just liked the name.

Used the

plastic topper machine thingy (<-- Technical Term)
the girl hated me. I had trouble getting it to read my prints, I think she just though I wanted her to hold my hands while she rolled my prints out. I really had some trouble with it.

But yes, the printing fee is included in the 115 you pay at the DL.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I went to a place in West Knoxville, I picked a place called Goin Postal. I just liked the name.

Used the the girl hated me. I had trouble getting it to read my prints, I think she just though I wanted her to hold my hands while she rolled my prints out. I really had some trouble with it.

They had some kind of oil to use to keep my fingerprints working.. Like bee oil or something.

Used the the girl hated me. I had trouble getting it to read my prints, I think she just though I wanted her to hold my hands while she rolled my prints out. I really had some trouble with it.

hmmmm.... i wonder could this be what held up your application....;):panic::wall:

When I got my permit it was still when the fingerprinted at the DOS as well and you had to make an appointment. The earliest you could make an appointment in Jackson was 2-3 months out. So I made an appointment at a station in West Nashville (nearly 200 mile round trip).

Based on post here it sounds like the way it is done know is much simpler.

It was my understanding when I took my HCP class that each county is different as it is contracted out?????

I also heard through some grapevine that only electronic prints are now accepted.

I had my done on a computer/copier type machine and it was printed on paper, which was rejected and had to be reprinted all over.

I ended up going to Cogent Fingerprinting which was totally electronic.

Guest tnxdshooter

The reason they do it electronically is for two reasons and one of them is the same reason we are no longer required to give a thumb print when we purchase a gun.

Reason 1. Submitting them electronically is much faster.

Reason 2. Alot of the finger printing cards that were used and the ink used on the cards and the finger prints not being "rolled properly" made alot of prints sent in illegible.

That (reason 2) is the main reason that they do it electronically and is the specific reason as to why we no longer have to give thumb prints when purchasing a firearm.

Guest tnxdshooter

Also,

Did they not give your son a sheet from Cogent where he could call and kind of "setup an appointment so to speak" where they give him a confirmation number and then he just goes to any old finger print place and gets r done?

Also,

Did they not give your son a sheet from Cogent where he could call and kind of "setup an appointment so to speak" where they give him a confirmation number and then he just goes to any old finger print place and gets r done?

Yes, they did. He just has to drive down to Spring Hill to do it.