How do you talk your daughter into carrying?

Guest tngw1500se

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

Although my grown daughter was on the shooting team in High School and now lives not too far outside of DC in VA, I am having no luck at all with her or her hubby along those lines. They are more afraid of one of their 3 kiddos getting ahold of a gun than they are of being a victim.

I finally had to just back off for awhile as they were not at all receptive of the idea. I do intend to keep trying but so far no luck at all.

Guest TargetShooter84

Bring up the Knoxville double murder case and that ought to help. That's what I do sometimes because I knew Channon, and if she was armed, this would've been prevented or would've spared them the worst at the end.

I think it has all been said now.

1, be there for her, be supportive and let her know you are willing to teach her everything you can and answer any questions she has about gun.

I don't want to dig into your personal life as everyone has different backgrounds and histories. This being East TN. Did she grow up in a home with guns?

My wife's Dad probably has 20 pistols, and in the 14 years I have known them, I don't believe any of them have been shot once. My wife never shot a gun until the day I took my HCP class.

I am in a way glad our washing machine broke the way it did back in the summer. It made a horrible sound like someone was breaking in the front door. Had it been an armed robbery I would not have had time to have loaded a gun or done anything. The noise along scared the crap out of both of us, and the cat.

Thanks to the washing machine scare we now have a loaded pistol or 2 in the house at all times. That was a wake up call to her just how fast things could go bad.

Bring up the Knoxville double murder case and that ought to help. That's what I do sometimes because I knew Channon, and if she was armed, this would've been prevented or would've spared them the worst at the end.

What case are you referring to?

Never mind, that is the one I thought i was

Although my grown daughter was on the shooting team in High School and now lives not too far outside of DC in VA, I am having no luck at all with her or her hubby along those lines. They are more afraid of one of their 3 kiddos getting ahold of a gun than they are of being a victim.

I finally had to just back off for awhile as they were not at all receptive of the idea. I do intend to keep trying but so far no luck at all.

maybe you just need to take him shooting, it might get things started, and of course start talking to the kiddos about gun safety when they are at your place so that they are getting educated on gun safety and might want to go shooting with you....

you could always offer them something like a shotgun that can be stored out of the kids reach and hard to rack the first round into...

to op not sure except for what has been said already, without more details

I bought my daughter a Charter Arms light wight snub 38 about 5 years ago when she got her HCP, and when I moved back here from Fl. and found she wasn't caring it ,( she said it was to hard to conceal while at work ) then I bought her a P3AT and now she want go out of the house with out it.

I don't have any kids now, but when I have kids I plan to introduce them to guns early and have them shooting by the time they are 5-6. Dad had me shooting when I was about that age.

When I went to college, started work and got married I fell behind on my gun knowledge. I find myself playing allot of catch up.

Lord help me if I have a daughter, but I will certainly make sure she can hand a gun. Might even encourage chewing tobacco to keep the boys away.

You can't. It is a personal decision, you know that. My daughter won't even fire a gun. She hates them and makes fun of me for carrying one. The few times she has fired one...well, let's say she is a natural,a bad A$$ shot! She carries pepper spray and I hope that one day she will come around to learning more about guns and possibly carrying.

Until your daughter decides carrying is what is best for her, Suggest the pepper spray. It is better than nothing and there are a few out there that can really reach out and touch someone. Good luck in you endeavor of convincing her to carry.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am in a way glad our washing machine broke the way it did back in the summer. It made a horrible sound like someone was breaking in the front door. Had it been an armed robbery I would not have had time to have loaded a gun or done anything. The noise along scared the crap out of both of us, and the cat.

Thanks to the washing machine scare we now have a loaded pistol or 2 in the house at all times. That was a wake up call to her just how fast things could go bad.

You are very lucky, our dryer went out a few months ago but hanging them out was good enough for the summer, now the washer has fried itself and all I got was a house full of stink and the opportunity to buy another set......some guys have all the luck:p

maybe you just need to take him shooting, it might get things started, and of course start talking to the kiddos about gun safety when they are at your place so that they are getting educated on gun safety and might want to go shooting with you....

you could always offer them something like a shotgun that can be stored out of the kids reach and hard to rack the first round into...

I do think both my daughter and SIL would be willing to go shooting but the distance and the requirements of his hush hush computer job inside the beltway get in the way of that.

He is "on call" for weeks at a time, and then only has a few days completely off each month. For the past near two years everyone of their trips anywhere have been related to his job. Even though my ability to travel is limited by both my wife and FIL's health I have offered to come and help with the kids while she or he or both took classes but so far it is a No Go.

As far as I understand the SIL had a childhood friend killed years ago in some sort of gun accident which I believe has clouded his thinking. They do live in a very nice gated community but we all know that is no perfect insurance against threats.

He has had to come to Memphis a time or two and I am hoping that happens again soon but I dont know how much time he will have, the past few times it has only been enough to share a meal and he was gone again.

He is the Nerdy type but I do believe he would go shooting with me if I ever got the chance to get him alone long enough to talk with him and actually take him, I know for certain my daughter would and I am pretty sure that I am much closer to convincing her, and may well already have, only to have him put the nix on it. I have no way of really knowing for sure.

I have offered to buy them a weapon of their choice several times and will again and again and again. I do really think it is mostly him but he provides very well for her and the kids and as we know we can not push people too hard. I sure do not want to completely alienate him.

Like I said I wont give up but so far I have hit a brick wall with them.

To the OP. Tell her that Homecoming Queen, Cheerleader, All Region Soccer Player gals shoot all the time. Once they reach 21, getting a HCP is no big deal.

But Be careful - - - They also tend to "claim" any firearm that they like to shoot.

Edited by DMark
You can't. It is a personal decision, you know that. My daughter won't even fire a gun. She hates them and makes fun of me for carrying one. The few times she has fired one...well, let's say she is a natural,a bad A$$ shot! She carries pepper spray and I hope that one day she will come around to learning more about guns and possibly carrying.

Until your daughter decides carrying is what is best for her, Suggest the pepper spray. It is better than nothing and there are a few out there that can really reach out and touch someone. Good luck in you endeavor of convincing her to carry.

Have to somewhat agree with the above

Guest Guy N. Cognito

I can't believe it took 15 posts for someone to finally get the right answer.

Until someone is ready to consider a firearm for self-defense, it will be near impossible to convince them otherwise. Furthermore, putting a gun in the hand of someone who is hesitant to use it is DANGEROUS and STUPID, as they are likely to hesitate at a critical time and put a gun in the hand of their attacker.

You've made your case, now leave them alone. They are adults and can make their own decisions, even if you don't agree with them.

My wife is around that age. Maybe, I won't go into any more detail for fear of being beat.

She was not progun by any means when we married. However, as her politics have changed, so has her stance on guns. She is still wary of them, but open to the idea of getting her HCP. Watching the news is what did it for her. She is also very glad that I am what she terms a 'gun nut.'

The simple explanation I gave her was 'If anything were to happen to you, and I was unable to protect you, I would never forgive myself.' It changed a lot in her way of thinking. After the recent rash of shootings here in West Knoxville (the formerly good side of town) she has warmed up to the guns in the house greatly and begun learning how to use them.

As for my daughter, I don't have many worries, she is taking after Daddy and is pretty much a 'gun nut' as well, even at four.

..... As for my daughter, I don't have many worries, she is taking after Daddy and is pretty much a 'gun nut' as well, even at four.

I think that is the correct answer.

If you raise your kids around the safe use of firearms, then it becomes another tool that they respect and most important, understand the how and the why you would use a firearm.

However my wife (The Delightful & Wonderful Mrs Kari) is a lost cause having been raised in a YellowDog Democrat Liberal household. She doesn't hate firearms, but she is afraid of them and won't touch one. To her credit she did bring into the world two kids that can quote Jeff Cooper. B)

To the OP, it will take that "moment" when your daughter realizes you mentorship for her need of a firearm is stronger than her objection of them.