Springfield XD Tactical VS Glock 34 ??

medipedicman

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Highlander

Yep. The Glock is lighter and has more accessories available for it. Neither is a bad gun, I just prefer the Glock based on familiarity with the breed. Some will like one over the other, some like the grip safety on the XD, I think it looks and feels like a toy gun. It is all personal perception, both are good guns.

The Glock does have the advantage (a big one) of membership in the GSSF.

By the way, I really appreciate the J.S. Mill quote, interesting man.

The Highlander

Guest bnoland

I have owned both XDs and Glock. I had a sub compact .40 and a compact .45. I now have a glock 23. The biggest reason I changed is holster options. I wanted a Blackhawk level 3 for my secondary job because that's what I carry on duty. The glock is little slimmer than the Springfield. I never had any issues out of my Springfield though. Same trigger manipulation, same basic feel in your hand.. really not much difference to me other than the width of the frame.

I can't comment on the XD, but I can share some thoughts on the Glock 34. I purchased a new Glock 34 several months ago. I have put over 1k rounds through it with no problems whatsoever.

Feel and ergonomics: It isn't bad, but sort of blocky to my taste.

Sights: Okay.

Trigger: It is better than a lot of guns I have picked up. However, the trigger feels a little spongy to me, but it isn't bad at all.

Accuracy: Not too bad

Reliability: No question there. It is a tank.

I just ordered some Dawson Precision sights (adjustable target rear with fiber optic front) and a Vanek drop-in trigger for my Glock 34.

While they weren't needed, I would like to make my 34 just a little bit better. Am I pleased with it, and would I buy another one in the future? Absolutely.

Guest gw2and4

Can't go wrong with the 34. I can't get over mine--shoots great. Ran it fresh out of the box at an IDPA classifier using low-pressure target loads, first round through the gun being on the timer. Had zero problems thus far and up to a few hundred rounds. The other day for giggles I put an IDPA target out at 100 yards at CHMSR and fired three mags worth at the target. Connected 17 times out of 51 attempts: five -0, five -1 and seven -3. This was the first long range trial with my new 34, and let's just say I was quite pleased.

The Glock 34's trigger isn't bad at all. However, I just got in my Vanek classic grandmaster trigger yesterday. Geeze louise, the trigger is as good as some of my high end 1911s. It does have a pretravel adjustment on it, but I am too afraid to mess with it since I will be affecting the Glock safety.

I was at an advanced pistol class this weekend and of the 11 guns 5 were XDs. The only guns I saw jam were all 5 XDs. There was a Ruger P89, a few Glocks, and even a S&W Sigma that ran better than any of the 5 XDs. If you want a malfunction in the heat of battle go with the XD.

I was at an advanced pistol class this weekend and of the 11 guns 5 were XDs. The only guns I saw jam were all 5 XDs. There was a Ruger P89, a few Glocks, and even a S&W Sigma that ran better than any of the 5 XDs. If you want a malfunction in the heat of battle go with the XD.

Oh, horse pucky. C'mon, the odds of 5 out of any 5 XDs malfing in the same short time span are pretty much the same as for 5 out of any 5 Glocks: that is, right at a bazillion to one, unless your "heat of battle" training was in molasses or something.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

This is a "should I get sausage or pepperoni on my pizza" thread - you're going to enjoy it either way. If the OP really does want to mod a Glock, as some other posters have suggested, he could also consider an XDm. By the time you put in a Ghost trigger and aftermarket disconnecter, there's just not much difference beyond ergos; cost should be pretty close.

I'll go ahead and stand up for my XD9 Tac. Over 15k rounds through it and the thing keeps running. I prefer the grip angle of the XD to the grip angle of the Glock, as it is more in line with all the other weapons I own.

Been competing with it for over a year, when I'm not on the disabled list, and I will admit to having FTF issues at the very beginning. I bought it used and only gave it a cursory cleaning before putting it into service. After taking it completely apart and actually scrubbing out the crap the previous owner was smuggling inside, it has not failed to fire, feed or eject.

Personally, I bought a Blade-Tech holster and haven't needed another one, so availability for me is a moot point. Trigger parts, replacement springs, grip tape, sights, etc. are all available from Canyon Creek or Springer Precision.

Not knocking the Glock, just saying that regardless of what others say, the XD is a viable option.

Mac

Edited by McAllyn
can't spell
Guest tnfireman

I had the same choice to make. I went with the Xd because it felt better in my hand and the sights seemed to naturally line up. Over 1500 rounds without the first malfunction.

I have only seen one malfunction through a XD and it was fixed with oiling it down. It had seen about 300 rounds that day and I am just assuming it was oiled before coming out to the range that day. I love Glocks but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another XD.

Guest Bronker
Oh, horse pucky. C'mon, the odds of 5 out of any 5 XDs malfing in the same short time span...

I would bet good money, that every single malfunction was due to a weak grip during those drills. During an advanced class I took, I went for a combat grip, and drew my XD before I had a firm grip. Less than full depression of the grip safety led to failure to fire. I wonder if that is what some were calling a 'malfunction.'

Now I have no XD's. Three Glocks. Not because I don't like and trust the XD's, because I do. Just have grown to like Glocks better.

I would bet good money, that every single malfunction was due to a weak grip during those drills. During an advanced class I took, I went for a combat grip, and drew my XD before I had a firm grip. Less than full depression of the grip safety led to failure to fire. I wonder if that is what some were calling a 'malfunction.'

Now I have no XD's. Three Glocks. Not because I don't like and trust the XD's, because I do. Just have grown to like Glocks better.

For all of those unaware: The weak wristing of the gun is officially called "rainbow" wristing it. I have both guns and really have no issues with either one. Even though Nathan switched from XD to Glocks, he made the good decision as there are significantly more parts available for the Glock. I seriously doubt that that many XD malfunctioned at the same time(maybe M&P breaking firing pins).

Nathan needs to make the best decision and go with the G34 that I reserved with his name on it.

Guest Bronker
...Nathan needs to make the best decision and go with the G34 that I reserved with his name on it.

Nathan does well to find time to shoot one 9 mm Glock a month, and that would be the one carried the most often (G19).

My safe is already FULLLLLLLLL of guns that I just HAD to have, and NEVER shoot...

:lol:

Nathan does well to find time to shoot one 9 mm Glock a month, and that would be the one carried the most often (G19).

My safe is already FULLLLLLLLL of guns that I just HAD to have, and NEVER shoot...

:lol:

Shoot, you know me......I may be willing to add to 126 if the price is right. PM me you email, need to send you something since you are a member for 2 years.

Shoot, you know me......I may be willing to add to 126 if the price is right.

Reminds me, think you ought to make a list of what you've got in those safes sometime and hand it out to a few of us at one of the matches... that way next time one of us is wondering about a gun we're thinking of getting we can just check your list and see if you own like 23 of 'em or only just 2 or 3. :)