.45acp for SD

No.

The Winchester Ranger-T is a completely different, redesigned bullet from the Black Talon.

It's like saying the Ford Focus is the same as the Ford Mustang...yeah they're both Fords with 4 tires, but they're not the same.

Yes, sell the Talons to someone who values them...and use the money to get more Ranger-Ts (a much superior bullet design).

As I understand it, the Ranger T and PDX1 are the same bullet. Just packaged differently

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

The Winchester Ranger-T is a completely different, redesigned bullet from the Black Talon.

It's like saying the Ford Focus is the same as the Ford Mustang...yeah they're both Fords with 4 tires, but they're not the same.

Yes, sell the Talons to someone who values them...and use the money to get more Ranger-Ts (a much superior bullet design).

Your right, the Winchester representative at the shot show was full of it. And this expansion test...

completely faked...

Thanks for setting me straight :rofl:. J/K the Ranger does have better ballistics, but I wouldn't think it's so different.

FYI the next Focus SVT will leave the mustang in the DUST. almost 300hp and light as all get out. But that's me being a semanticist.

I'm glad the Rangers are better than the Talons. It's a shame that peeps still hold on to the Talons like they do.

Edited by kesava
Your right, the Winchester representative at the shot show was full of it. And this expansion test...

completely faked...

Thanks for setting me straight :rofl:. J/K

Yes, I am right (your passive/aggressive "J/K" and YouTube link not withstanding).

I've attended more than one Winchester and ATK sponsored ballistic gel testing event and have spoken to Paul Nowak at Winchester (Senior Tech) extensively about this subject (part of my job, BTW).

Like I said, totally different bullet...a little research will give you the same facts.

I never said the Talon was a bad bullet, but the Ranger-T is different (more than just the coating, as you originally said) and far superior.

Edited by TN-popo
Yes, I am right (your passive/aggressive "J/K" and YouTube link not withstanding).

I've attended more than one Winchester and ATK sponsored ballistic gel testing event and have spoken to Paul Nowak at Winchester (Senior Tech) extensively about this subject (part of my job, BTW).

Like I said, totally different bullet...a little research will give you the same facts.

I never said the Talon was a bad bullet, but the Ranger-T is different (more than just the coating, as you originally said) and far superior.

Maybe I should take this moment to expound on my original post of this thread.

Both the Talon and the Ranger-T have VERY similar qualities. They will both muck up your day in a very bad way. I dont give a rats ass how they are engineered. They do the same thing. Except one is half the price of the other for no good reason. They both have an awesome expansion coefficient, sharp pedals and penetration depth. Ergo for all intents and practical purposes, a very similar bullet. But, no, they are not the same bullet.

There is a complete disparate comparison that you made. A focus vs a mustang.... where a stock focus has 150hp and the mustang is double. And given that the Ranger T is a better bullet it would be the mustang? correct? So, in with your analogy and my erroneous post, the Mustang, which has 305hp and a 0-60 time of 5 seconds and the focus would be 151hp and a 0- 60mph time of 8 seconds, but they both have tires.

Really, the Talon is doubly out performed by the ranger-t? but they both have tires.... if you say so.

They both produce a massive amount of wound damage, i think we can both agree on that. I have not been to their ballistic gel testing events, but I have spoken to their marketers, and well, I will not recant my "same bullet" statement as I am not versed in bullets enough to give the minute details in the engineering process.

Don't be so abrasive. I'm happy that you have the knowledge that you do. really, I am. Now I can bug you with ??. Pardon my technicality, but to associate information that I have with a total discrediting analogy is impolite.

Edited by kesava
  • 2 weeks later...
being as the .45 ACP is the apex of pistol ammunition I would dare say 230 grains of ball ammo will take a bad guy out of the fight just as well as any hollow point.

agree, if you can hit anything with a 230 gr into a half inch entry hole, it aint gonna be a happy day for the bad guy, wild animal, Xombie, car door, refrigerator, large paper target, etv, etc, etc

I like Hornady XTP in my Kimber 4", I also like Hornady Critical Defense FTX it has a polymer fill in the hollow point that helps prevent FTF. I also like all the others listed, Golden Saber, speer gold dot, in respective order. Most of the Hornady stuff can be found for about $20 for a box of 20 which for SD ammo isnt bad