post office carry?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FedEx/UPS doesn't compete with many USPS rates. Like 1oz to 13 oz First Class for $.44 to $3, 1lb Media Mail for $2.38, etc, etc.

FedEx/UPS Ground starts making sense for individual user at around 10 lbs., or sometimes for large odd sized items even lighter. FedEx Ground starts significantly beating UPS Ground at around 25 lbs.

- OS

not to bash you, more of USPS bashing but.... sometimes you get what you pay for. i have had too many to count lost packages with post office lately to feel like i'm saving money. when priority mail takes 14 days or more (or sometimes they just flat out lose or damage stuff and then could care less) the few more bucks for ups would have been well spent. it recently took me about a month to get an important first class large envelope from jackson to nashville. they carried it from jackson to memphis to nashville and then back to me finally to tell me i owed 2 more $ for priority mail because the letter was too thin to be sent as first class?? what the hell is that about, it's not over sized or too big but it's too thin and you owe more?

its about like buying gun parts, only use the real cheap stuff when it doesn't matter. but if it aint worth doin right it aint really worth doin at all.

Guest tnxdshooter
not to bash you, more of USPS bashing but.... sometimes you get what you pay for. i have had too many to count lost packages with post office lately to feel like i'm saving money. when priority mail takes 14 days or more (or sometimes they just flat out lose or damage stuff and then could care less) the few more bucks for ups would have been well spent. it recently took me about a month to get an important first class large envelope from jackson to nashville. they carried it from jackson to memphis to nashville and then back to me finally to tell me i owed 2 more $ for priority mail because the letter was too thin to be sent as first class?? what the hell is that about, it's not over sized or too big but it's too thin and you owe more?

its about like buying gun parts, only use the real cheap stuff when it doesn't matter. but if it aint worth doin right it aint really worth doin at all.

Dude, anything I sell on ebay or send that is important I send priority mail. I have never had any packages take over the three days. Most take two or less. Also, you can get delivery confirmation and they scan it in at each post office so you can essentially track it. So if they are getting lost then perhaps it is partially your fault for not getting delivery confirmation which is a free service. I wouldn't be so quick to bash the postal service.

Dude, anything I sell on ebay or send that is important I send priority mail. I have never had any packages take over the three days. Most take two or less. Also, you can get delivery confirmation and they scan it in at each post office so you can essentially track it. So if they are getting lost then perhaps it is partially your fault for not getting delivery confirmation which is a free service. I wouldn't be so quick to bash the postal service.

+100

I have used USPS through the years for all kinds of transactions on eBay and/or straight from my own biz. Likely right around couple of thousand. This includes Priority, First Class, Parcel Post, and Media Mail.

I have never had one, NOT ONE, of my sent packages be lost in a domestic shipment of any class. Have had a few that never arrived to me, but could not prove they were ever sent, either. Most common aberration I've seen through the years is mis-routing, where a package goes to wrong city and has to go back through system to get to destination, had one of those just recently, but it did make it.

Also, have never had a package significantly damaged or destroyed by USPS either, something I can't say for UPS or FedEx. Once I got two golf clubs from UPS, broken in half. Amazing, since these were wedges (short stout shafted clubs) -- that really took a special effort somewhere along the line.

Obviously, bonzaii34 does not send out many packages in the 1lb and less weights ... the shipping for these through UPS/FedEx is prohibitively expensive for items in $50 and less price range; indeed, if you sell on eBay for example, this shipping price alone would zap most of your sales.

Most all delivery probs with USPS come down to user error ... illegible writing, invalid addressing, poor packaging (especially of delicate items), improper labeling that comes off package (and no duplicate to/from inside box), sending wrong class for dimensions/weight/contents, etc.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Most folks opperate on the assunption that the USPS will always be in it's present form. I don't. The USPS does not cover it's cost. It's subsidized and maintains a monopoly because of it. It cannot compete with private enterprise unless it has that monopoly,so eventually it will either cease or become a manager of contracts for private concerns that actually deliver mail or parcels. The various parcel delivery companies could out perform the USPS if it weren't for the government's imposed monopoly. As a voter and tax payer I do not support government doing anything that private enterprise can do better.

I've been using USPS for over 15 years, shipping stuff out in boxes and envelopes. The PO has twice failed to deliver in a timely manner. Both times it took about 3 months for the lost mail to arrive to their destinations. No explanations and post marked on the day I mailed it. I think it got put in a container and shipped overseas.

I used to work as a delivery driver for FedEx Ground, I would not use them to ship a piece of rock... if you can see how they load and deal with your package, I guarantee you, you would never ship FedEx Ground again...

Db

I know some of you guys will be able to help me out here. My wife says we can't carry in our local post office so when I had to ship something via postal this weekend, I disarmed before going in. However, I searched and searched and found no posting or legal warning anywhere in or on the building. This left me with the impression that I did not have to disarm. I just looked over the prohibited carry locations in the state code as posted on this forum and didn't see anything about post offices. Can someone help me out here so I don't get into trouble? :)

Not just guns are verboten - if you are also a fan of and carry a bladed weapon: any knife with a a blade over 2.5 inches is considered a "weapon" and is thus prohibited in federal buildings.

Guest kirkosaurus
I used to work as a delivery driver for FedEx Ground, I would not use them to ship a piece of rock... if you can see how they load and deal with your package, I guarantee you, you would never ship FedEx Ground again...

Db

All the shipping companies handle packages that way. I've heard the same thing from UPS employees.