Stupid Gun Store Tricks

Hope this is the right category - no forum dedicated to stupid, but here goes:

I was in Outdoor Junction at Cookeville Saturday. At the checkout counter, a man and young boy, about 3 years old, were ahead of me.

The boy was fascinated by a red dot of light on the counter. Every time he reached for it, it moved, or disappeared. The man with him laughed, asking, "What is that?"

After a few moments watching the kid, I turned to locate the light source - and saw another young man about 25' feet down the asile...

The laser was mounted on his drawn pistol. Pointed at the child, also the cashier.

I may do my all my shopping online for a while.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at a gun show once and a vendor was demonstrating a laser to a customer by pointing his loaded gun at customers walking around the floor.

I was also once in a gun store where a sales guy was showing a customer guns...he would take the gun out of the counter, point it directly at the customer's chest, pull the trigger, then open the slide to check to see if it was loaded, then point it at the customer's chest again and pull the trigger again. After about the third time he did it, I left.

...in my case, I opted for silence - after all, it wasn't pointed at me.

About the time I turned and saw him, he turned around, put the gun away, and headed toward the "gun room" in the back of the store. I had no desire to chase down and confront an armed idiot.

I didn't recognize the guy, and have no idea if he was a customer or employee.

I paid and left.

I was at a gun show once and a vendor was demonstrating a laser to a customer by pointing his loaded gun at customers walking around the floor.

I was also once in a gun store where a sales guy was showing a customer guns...he would take the gun out of the counter, point it directly at the customer's chest, pull the trigger, then open the slide to check to see if it was loaded, then point it at the customer's chest again and pull the trigger again. After about the third time he did it, I left.

I would demand to talk to the owner or manager, and if that produced no results that's the last time I would set foot in that GS.

Telling someone that they're an idiot or an a** seldom result's in a positive resolution, nor does a public outing of their action's do much more than getting an employee fired or a customer tossed out of the store. Tact is gained from experence so at this point I'll simply either leave or pull the person aside and out of hearing distance of other's and explain that what they're doing isn't safe and why it isn't. It's all a question of what you see as the best option for the situation.

Guest drv2fst

video on cell phone shown to manager/owner would work best in this situation. Anything less, get's nothing but denial that there was anything wrong with their actions or lack of precautions.

video on cell phone shown to manager/owner would work best in this situation. Anything less, get's nothing but denial that there was anything wrong with their actions or lack of precautions.

I like this response.

Hope this is the right category - no forum dedicated to stupid, but here goes:

I was in Outdoor Junction at Cookeville Saturday. At the checkout counter, a man and young boy, about 3 years old, were ahead of me.

The boy was fascinated by a red dot of light on the counter. Every time he reached for it, it moved, or disappeared. The man with him laughed, asking, "What is that?"

After a few moments watching the kid, I turned to locate the light source - and saw another young man about 25' feet down the asile...

The laser was mounted on his drawn pistol. Pointed at the child, also the cashier.

I may do my all my shopping online for a while.

That could have ended VERY badly for the guy pointing the gun.

I would demand to talk to the owner or manager, and if that produced no results that's the last time I would set foot in that GS.

I've been there several times and I don't think the owner or manager would have liked or allowed this at all. My dealings with them have always been very professional, and they are trying to build a good and reputable business with new indoor range and all.

I called the store later and talked to the owner. I was told that it was no big deal because they know their guns are unloaded. I told him it WAS a big deal to me, and that if someone pointed a gun at me, they would likely find a gun pointed back at them. I mentioned that there is no requirement for me to "know" whether or not their gun is loaded, but I could guarantee that MINE would be. He just didn't think it was a big deal, so I told him that I would never come back into his store.

I called the store later and talked to the owner. I was told that it was no big deal because they know their guns are unloaded. I told him it WAS a big deal to me, and that if someone pointed a gun at me, they would likely find a gun pointed back at them. I mentioned that there is no requirement for me to "know" whether or not their gun is loaded, but I could guarantee that MINE would be. He just didn't think it was a big deal, so I told him that I would never come back into his store.

So if someone in the store pulls a gun puts the laser on his forehead (or worse, his kid's forehead), he won't care because he KNOWS it's unloaded? Nice.

Edited by peejman

ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. Every gun should be handled always with this respect. The fact that this person did that shows they are an a** and an ignoramous. The fact that the owner apparently wasn't concerned that a customer had one of their guns pointed near a child, or anyone, is even more disturbing. How does the owner know the guy didn't have a full mag in his pocket, that he switched? Absolutely absurd.

Guest tnxdshooter
ALL guns are ALWAYS loaded. Every gun should be handled always with this respect. The fact that this person did that shows they are an a** and an ignoramous. The fact that the owner apparently wasn't concerned that a customer had one of their guns pointed near a child, or anyone, is even more disturbing. How does the owner know the guy didn't have a full mag in his pocket, that he switched? Absolutely absurd.

I agree, that owner is about the biggest retard I have ever heard of. I was going to go and check the place out with my brother in cookeville, he said he heard the dude was an arse so we didnt even attempt to go in there. If one person says something I tend to give the owner the benefit of the doubt but when you have multiple people telling you the owner is an arse then you should definitely listen.

Guest tnxdshooter

I think that I would have let him know that you would have also called the cops and gotten him for aggravated assault. Technically you could not have been charged if you drew your weapon because at that point you could clearly state that you felt your life was in danger. I dont think any jury would hold you accountable for drawing your weapon on someone or even shooting them for that matter if it came down to where you had to.

Guest tnxdshooter

Ummmmmmmmmmmm that makes no sense. If their guns are unloaded how do people shoot them on the range LOL? Someone has to load the gun before shooting.

Warbird and tnxdshooter, you may be confusing the two stories, mine and robbiev's. And I'm not complaining, just attempting to clarify a little bit:

RE: OP, Outdoor Junction, Cookeville: I was initially focused on the humor of the boy chasing the laser light, as was his father(?) The lady at the checkout had her head down, looking at merchandise or the register, and didn't seem to notice any of this. Manwithagun was about 6'-something, average build, jeans & light camo jacket or shirt, and semi-auto pistol about 9mm. I saw the muzzle real clearly. Again I'm not sure any store personnel knew what was going on.

Yes, kesava, this could have had a really bad outcome. Probably at least a stop,drop, and draw, if he'd pointed it toward me. And I really hate hard landings on concrete. Especially at my age and weight.

To those who would have confronted, called manager, or police: I agree this guy needs to be corrected somehow. But I lack the necessary experience and training to do it myself. And my limited experience with LEO in Cookeville/Putnam has been less than positive.

But, I can de-escalate with the best of 'em! :rolleyes:

Guest tnxdshooter
Warbird and tnxdshooter, you may be confusing the two stories, mine and robbiev's. And I'm not complaining, just attempting to clarify a little bit:

RE: OP, Outdoor Junction, Cookeville: I was initially focused on the humor of the boy chasing the laser light, as was his father(?) The lady at the checkout had her head down, looking at merchandise or the register, and didn't seem to notice any of this. Manwithagun was about 6'-something, average build, jeans & light camo jacket or shirt, and semi-auto pistol about 9mm. I saw the muzzle real clearly. Again I'm not sure any store personnel knew what was going on.

Yes, kesava, this could have had a really bad outcome. Probably at least a stop,drop, and draw, if he'd pointed it toward me. And I really hate hard landings on concrete. Especially at my age and weight.

To those who would have confronted, called manager, or police: I agree this guy needs to be corrected somehow. But I lack the necessary experience and training to do it myself. And my limited experience with LEO in Cookeville/Putnam has been less than positive.

But, I can de-escalate with the best of 'em! :)

Yeah I understood the laser deal but for the manager/owner to sit there and condone it that is just plain stupid. What an idiot and a liar. I checked with my brother that lives in Cookeville, he seems to think that place wont be around very long because he says that the owners are hard to deal with and seem ignorant about alot of gun safety issues. Whether this is true I cannot say but that is what my brother garnered from his visit there.

Guest tnxdshooter

But, I can de-escalate with the best of 'em! :)

Yeah they have a bad habit of killing childs dogs when the dogs get out of the car and run around in the chaos. They also came to my mothers trailer one time when I was over there and opened the door and just walked right on in I was in the bathroom and mom was doing something in her bedroom, I came out of the bathroom saw someone in the den and took cover in the shadows and called out who is there I have a gun? He said police officer so and so. I came out from cover with my hands up and said I have a permit but what the hell are you doing in my mothers house uninvited? I showed him my permit and asked if he had a warrant he said no so I advised him I would be contacting his superior and complaining. He said we are looking for so and so, me and mom looked at each other and said heck we've never heard of that person. I filed a complaint with cookeville pd over there. Never did hear back about it.

Guest tnxdshooter
Yeah they have a bad habit of killing childs dogs when the dogs get out of the car and run around in the chaos. They also came to my mothers trailer one time when I was over there and opened the door and just walked right on in I was in the bathroom and mom was doing something in her bedroom, I came out of the bathroom saw someone in the den and took cover in the shadows and called out who is there I have a gun? He said police officer so and so. I came out from cover with my hands up and said I have a permit but what the hell are you doing in my mothers house uninvited? I showed him my permit and asked if he had a warrant he said no so I advised him I would be contacting his superior and complaining. He said we are looking for so and so, me and mom looked at each other and said heck we've never heard of that person. I filed a complaint with cookeville pd over there. Never did hear back about it.

Now I could be wrong but something tells me you cant just walk up in someone's house without knocking or a search warrant without their permission even if you are a police officer.