Moving to mid TN, where to avoid?

Guest PapaB

To make a long story short, the wife and I plan to move in the next 18 months. We know we'll end up nearer Nashville but aren't sure where to avoid. We won't consider Davidson County but don't know about Rutherford or Williamson Counties.

We want to keep the country life on a few small acres and stay out of the cities and subdivisions. South of Nashville looks more promising but we're just not sure. How are places like Walterhill, College Grove, Readyville, Nolensville, Arrington or to the west or south of Franklin?

Politically we'd rather be in a more conservative area, I'm tired of our current liberal reps ignoring us.

Any suggestions from TGOers on where to avoid?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito

If you want to enjoy the country life, stay out of Novensville. Rapid expansion as a bedroom community will mean that the cow pasture next door today will be a subdivision tomorrow.

Guest mustangdave

here's some info...Walter Hill / College Grove...our own local TORNADO ALLEY....Nolensville growing like a WEED...there are some pockets of nice smallish subdivisions...out away form the brew-haha on the border of Davidson /Williamson/ Rutherford Counties...you just gotta do your homework. We live in a nice subdivision in the Cane Ridge Community (aka...the southeastern corner of Antioch)...gun friendly...little or no crime because our neighborhood watch organization is extremely PROACTIVE.

I live in the 'BORO, and if I could, I'd move to Lascassas, or Milton. Readyville is good too. You're out in the country , yet close enough to M' Boro ( b/w 10 -20 mins) that way you have access to all the city amenties if you are so inclined. If I could talk the wife into it... ah well maybe when the kids are gone.

Guy, Thanks for the info on Nolensville, I suspected as much but wasn't sure.

mustangdave, I forgot to ask about Tornado's, thank for including that.

First Strike, I considered Lascassas but the wife wants to be closer to a larger number of job opportunities when the economy recovers. We may have to choose a location closer to La Vergne and Smyrna, or one closer to Brentwood and Franklin but near all 4 would be nice. A 30 to 45 minute commute would be best.

Arrington certainly fits the country part of the question. Nice area and 10-15 minutes from Franklin. If you head south of Franklin to Spring Hill things are rapidly expanding there too. Fairview could be a consideration. Williamson county and convenient to Franklin and not to far from Nashville.

• Administrator

Have you considered Lebanon / Mt Juliet? Both are in Wilson County. You're going to pay less for both real estate and on property taxes out there than you will in either Williamson or Rutherford counties. If I were to move inside the mid-state area right now, I would be looking at those places.

Not to pick a bone with Mustangdave or anything, but Cane Ridge is still Antioch no matter how much the residents don't want it to be. They have made strides towards turning it into a very nice "Green Zone" (their own schools, their own post office, their own ZIP code) but the fact remains that prior to about 6 years ago it was all Antioch. What would help most would be a nice perimeter of concertina wire between Cane Ridge's very pretty upscale neighborhoods and the rest of Antioch. Maybe a moat. With a dragon.

I'd seriously look for land along the SR-840 corridor between Rutherford and Wilson counties. Easy access to Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro and Smyrna. Easy access to I-24 and I-40 for trips elsewhere. Lots of open space out there.

The further west you go, the less there is, but land prices drop off too. Fairview (Williamson county), or perhaps Kingston Springs (Cheatham county). If you have kids, Williamson public schools are considered some of the best around. The south or east side give you better access to I-65/I-24. Fairview has about a 30 min. drive to Fanklin, 35 to Cool Springs. Lots of office parks in Cool Springs now. It's amazing how much it has grown in last 15 years.

Edited by monkeylizard
What about clarksville, if that aint country Ill kiss your butt as david allen coe would say.

The problem with Clarksville though is that jobs can come and go with the 101st, depending upon your occupation. It is also a typical military town for both the good and bad that brings. I must say though that I was pleasantly surprised with the school system when my kids went there.

[...]I'd seriously look for land along the SR-840 corridor between Rutherford and Wilson counties. Easy access to Lebanon, Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro and Smyrna. Easy access to I-24 and I-40 for trips elsewhere. Lots of open space out there.

Not to mention, if they ever finish 840 I would think property values would increase rapidly. That is if the government will ever stop trying to fix the economy and let it fix itself. :D

The further west you go, the less there is, but land prices drop off too. Fairview (Williamson county), or perhaps Kingston Springs (Cheatham county). If you have kids, Williamson public schools are considered some of the best around. The south or east side give you better access to I-65/I-24. Fairview has about a 30 min. drive to Fanklin, 35 to Cool Springs. Lots of offcie parks in Cool Springs now. It's amazing hom much it has grown in last 15 years.

This is the area in which I live.

The pros:

It's country, but still close to Nashville. My commute to downtown is in the 30 minute range. A little more with heavy traffic, a little less with light.

Traffic on the west side of town seems to be much lighter than east and south of town. You'll still hit bumper-to-bumper traffic at times, but not as much as the other two.

Lower property taxes than any of the surrounding counties.

No emissions check to register your vehicle.

One of the largest TWRA public hunting areas in the state. Of course that is also a con, depending on your point of view.

The cons:

If you have kids, the schools aren't as glamorous as those in say, Williamson County. Lower taxes and all.

Because it's not as "A list" as some of the other areas listed above, real estate seems to move a little slower. Of course if you're buying that's good. If you're selling, not so much.

Police/fire/EMS presence is not what it is in the big city. Of course many here have a mindset that favors that type of environment, so again, this may go in the pros for you.

The biggest con: Guns & Leather is about a 45 minute drive with light traffic. :(

All in all, I think the pros far outweigh the cons. I like the rural feel of Cheatham County. Kids ride their 4 wheelers and dirt bikes around the neighborhood without ever being stopped by the police. People are friendly, but not nosy. Everybody has guns, so nobody has ever even taken a double take when I wear mine in my yard or garage.

Of course I'm biased because I live here, but I shopped the other areas before buying and this is what I came up with.

Guest mustangdave

Not to pick a bone with Mustangdave or anything, but Cane Ridge is still Antioch no matter how much the residents don't want it to be. They have made strides towards turning it into a very nice "Green Zone" (their own schools, their own post office, their own ZIP code) but the fact remains that prior to about 6 years ago it was all Antioch. What would help most would be a nice perimeter of concertina wire between Cane Ridge's very pretty upscale neighborhoods and the rest of Antioch. Maybe a moat. With a dragon.

LOL...good one David...no bone to pick....If money were no object Cane Ridge/Antioch would not be my my first choice...there actually is a perimeter of sorts...southside of Bell Rd (sorta) I get my compass points FUBAR'd in the area some. Go out Bluehole Rd from Bell Rd...or up Cane Ridge Rd...it gets "country" in a hurry with sub divisions kinda sprinkled in...and just go to the Rutherford county line...for a moat...we have Mill Creek...LOL...see the May 2010 flood news footage....the dragon we may just have to import.

Guest BEARMAN

Gladeville, Hartsville, Tuckers Crossroads, Ocana, Cottontown....just a few quaint little towns to check into.

Hate to hear your leaving the Gainesboro area.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I don't know chit about it, but since the Saturn plat closed, I'll bet you can buy a mini mansion for pennies on the dollar around Spring Hill.

Haven't seen many mini mansions in Spring Hill. If the OP is looking for rural, Spring Hill is the wrong place.

What about clarksville, if that aint country Ill kiss your butt as david allen coe would say.

Maybe outside the city limits, but inside it is a jungle. Towards Pleasant View would probably be nice. Good

commute to Nashville now that Coopertown doesn't stake out the interstate.

Any of the counties directly around Davidson co. are going to be okay. I'm personally partial to Robertson, Cheatham, and Dickson, but any of the rest will put you close enough to what you need - work, shopping, etc. - without having to live with the pitfalls of being in Davidson it's self. Clarksville/Motgomery, as has been mentioned, has some nice spots, but also the trouble/problems of living close to a military base.

It's really going to come down to you checking an area out, finding a plot of land you like, and then weighing everything that goes with it.

Guest tnxdshooter

Sumner county, or even some parts of wilson county? What about carthage, or lafayette (I reckon I still have family there). I would recommend hartsville but my ex is from there and seeing as how I hate her and hate that place I cant recommend you to live there.

Sumner county, or even some parts of wilson county? What about carthage, or lafayette (I reckon I still have family there). I would recommend hartsville but my ex is from there and seeing as how I hate her and hate that place I cant recommend you to live there.

No. Lafayette isn't allowing any new residents. Sorry.