Thinking about a Sig P220?

flyanything

I've been pondering on trying a Sig Sauer P220 for a while. I want to stay with .45 only is the reason for the 220. I will have to give up my Kimber Custom Classic 1911 to get one. I don't see many P220's on here for sale/trade very often. If I end up with the Sig and decide to go back to a 1911 later it will definately be a Kimber. I am just wandering what input you might have on the Sig P220? I understand it's all about personal prefference, I'm just wandering about everyones thoughts on the Sig. Thanks for your time.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood

I have one and it's a great shooter and pretty easy to take down and clean. It's a keeper. I like a 1911 but the P220 just feels better to me and is more comfortable to carry (for me).

As for a shooter it's probably not quite the tack driver like a 1911 but not far off at all.

I have one and it's a great shooter and pretty easy to take down and clean. It's a keeper. I like a 1911 but the P220 just feels better to me and is more comfortable to carry (for me).

As for a shooter it's probably not quite the tack driver like a 1911 but not far off at all.

I agree. Sold a 220 several years ago to fund another purchase; another 1911 of course. I've regretted selling several times. I thought it a bit large and heavy as a carry for my taste. But YMMV. Personally, when opting for .45 carry now, it's usually a glock 30.

I have the 220 Elite and a several Kimbers. The Kimber fits me better and I would not make the swap. The 220 seems large to me. I have other Sigs as well, 226, 239,232, and 238. Just in .45, I like the Kimber better. I did buy a threaded barrel from Sig so that I could get a 45 can. The threaded barrel fits very snug and the frame is hard to cycle. I ran about 75 rounds through it at Charlie's yesterday to loosen it up. Then, I shot my Kimber and in my hands, I could put several clips in a 5" circle at 25 yards. The 226 and the 220 were larger groups. But, as always, YMMV:)

I have carried both a 220 and a 1911 with out much difference. For me and others I know it has to do with the right holster and the shape of ones body. With the exception of my longslide and 10mm 1911.

My 220 shoots much better for me.

Edited by R1100R
Guest carbonarcher

I have three 1911's, If you have trained alot with the 1911 stick with it! I also have a p220, that's the nightstand pistol. When things go bump in the night at 2-3am I would rather have a DA first pull then go with a SA at that time in the morning. I would go with the 1911 for carry, not the Sig p220 for TCP(CCW). Just my .02 cents. Good luck!

Go to the range and rent one!

I absolutely love my Sig 220 Elite - it's really a fantastic firearm, and holds well, shoots well, and is accurate as all get out. That being said - I'm a 1911 person, and always will be (my father gave me his first 1911 about 7 years ago, and his father gave it to him). Between my 1911s and my Sigs (you can't just buy one, of either), I prefer the 1911 (certain guns of mine), but always look forward to shooting my 220 whenever I can. A 226 will be next on my list, in 9mm, even though I have a SP2022 (because I love the 22X so much).

You cannot go wrong in buying one - they're just a GREAT firearm.

I absolutely love my P220 Stainless Sport that I bought from another member a few weeks ago, over 500 rounds through it and flawless, I've had several 1911's but ended up selling them for some reason but I've got certain Sigs I'll never get rid of and one being my new P220. It is far more accurate that I am, made in Germany, full Stainless and did I mention it's really accurate!!!! Buds have these new for $899 shipped. By far the best Sig I ever owned, I do carry it sometimes and with the right holster it's not a problem so to answer the OP's question, Buy a Sig P220.... I like Sigs.. COOP

DSCN0634-1.jpg

Guest The Highlander

I have both the Kimber and the P220. The Kimber fits my hand (smallish) better, and is a natural pointer for me. I prefer the grip angle and feel of the Commander actually. The P220 recoils a little softer for me, maybe the wider grip spreads the feel around. The P220 is easier for me to carry because the dang thumb safety on 1911's digs into my pudgy parts.

For carry, the P220 is the winner for me.

For range use, it just depends. The second mag I fired through my P220 put the first five shots into one hole. When I noticed that, I got excited and of course blew the next four rounds! The Kimber is also a very good shooter (mine has adjustable sights) and feels great.

I like them both very much. Don't trade away a good gun for a "gotta have it RIGHT NOW" thing. The P220 is definitely worth buying, I'd recommend saving up for it though. I've never been happy trading away guns.

The Highlander

Guest 10mm4me

Quit thinking about it and get it. They rock. If you like SA's, get the SAO P220. They are truly one of the end all handguns that if you have one, you don't need any other handgun.