Pawn shop guns

Guest carbonarcher

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have bought several guns from pawn shops over the years. The key is to know a ball park value of what you are looking for and go in with cash. Those pawn shop guys love cash. I have offered half their asking price (in cash) and walked out with some very nice guns. Half is always where I start and depending on how bad I want it I'll haggle from there.

I have bought several guns from pawn shops over the years. The key is to know a ball park value of what you are looking for and go in with cash. Those pawn shop guys love cash. I have offered half their asking price (in cash) and walked out with some very nice guns. Half is always where I start and depending on how bad I want it I'll haggle from there.

The problem with pawnshops in my area is that they rarely have truly 'nice' guns but they sure think that they do. Most of the guns I have seen in pawnshops around here would still be overpriced even at half their asking price.

I've purchased several pistols and rifles from pawn shops, & so far have always had good experiences with them. If it's overpriced, haggle. If you can't get it for a good price keep looking. Eventually you'll find the gun you've always wanted...just be sure you know what you're looking for and what it's worth. You'd be amazed what turns up at pawn shops.

Guest mikedwood

I've done it a few times and gotten some good deals, but on a few of the firearms I purchased from pawnshops had issues. Nothing I couldn't fix but issues none the less.

The main thing as with any used gun. Take that thing apart as far as it can go and clean and oil it. I have found some rust in odd internal places doing that.

I'd be interested in knowing what are the chances that any of the guns in the pawn shops are stolen. I know they are supposed to run number checks with the PD, but what if the owner, like most people, didn't have their numbers recorded? I always hear that guns are the #1 item stolen from homes. Could buying stolen guns be encouraging thieves to steal mine and your guns? I don't know if any of these concerns are legit. I guess that's why I'm asking.

I've bought as many guns used at pawn shops as I have new. As long as you have an idea of the value of the gun and can see that it functions well and are willing to haggle (Remember the Pawn broker normally only has about 25% of the guns value actually invested.) you should be fine. Though I must admit I get many of my guns from clients who are cash poor but have available assets.

Edited by MikePapa1
Inserted aside
I'd be interested in knowing what are the chances that any of the guns in the pawn shops are stolen. I know they are supposed to run number checks with the PD, but what if the owner, like most people, didn't have their numbers recorded? I always hear that guns are the #1 item stolen from homes. Could buying stolen guns be encouraging thieves to steal mine and your guns? I don't know if any of these concerns are legit. I guess that's why I'm asking.

If you purchase a gun at a pawn shop in Tennessee and they do the normal TBI background check, the gun is checked at the time of purchase to be sure it doesn't show stolen or wanted. It's standard operating proceedure with the TBI. If they don't do the TBI bacground check, then they aren't following the law and you shouldn't buy a gun there anyway.

So... by that, I mean that, even if the gun IS stolen, it should show up on the background check, so they won't sell it to you anyway.

ETA: so to answer another part of the question: if you buy a gun at a pawn shop and it shows up later to be stolen because the person didn't have the serial number, you at least have some record that you purchased the gun legally. That however, won't change the fact you will probably lose the gun and whatever you paid for it. You run that same risk, although probably not as likely, at a gun shop if you buy a used gun.

Edited by robbiev

And, if the event you got sold a stolen gun, you may have a claim against the pawn shop. IF that occurs, contact a lawyer and go after the pawn shop... And report it to all that will listen they did sell you stolen merchandise (state, BBB, forums, etc.)

If the proof shows they did not do their homework, they may face fines, possible licensing issues, and you ask a Court to get your $ back, and attorney fees (I hope.)

Check out the Pawn Shop's reputation before purchasing.

Edited by HvyMtl

I've only gotten one good deal at a pawn shop. It was a large locally owned shop where I worked in Florida. I would stop in a couple times per week to look over the pawn tickets to look for stolen items I had taken reports for. They would usually have some good deals on tools, and one day they made me a great deal on a Smith & Wesson .22 pistol. I got it, cleaned it up, shot it for a few years as a plinking gun, refinished the metal with some Brownell's oven-cure coating, and traded it to a gun shop for a better S&W .22 pistol getting more in trade than I put into it. Unfortunately, I haven't come close to a deal like that before or since. Most of the pawn shops I have visited around Knoxville have junk guns that are very over-priced. The remainder have decent guns that are very over-priced. I have found the best deals here on TGO and a couple of local gun shops.

Guest tntrucker

It depends on each Pawn shop. Some only have a handful of junk or a few pawned guns. Some are actually a gun shop and pawn shop combined. I've moved from that area, but if you live in Knoxville or north of there. Check out South Clinton Pawn Shop in Clinton, Tn. He has one of the largest inventories of "new" guns in the Knoxville area and good prices.

Any time you buy a used gun there is the risk of it being stolen. That's what the background check is for/ not just you but checking the gun also.

The last gun I bought on Gunbroker/ here come the cops and there goes the gun. A good thing I had purchased with a credit card / otherwise I would been SOL.

I see this topic come up pretty often, and each time I have to wonder what the perceived differences in guns shops and pawn shops are. In reality, they are basically the same thing. My experience with pawn shops pretty much mirrors my experience with gun stores; looking at thousands of overpriced, abused pieces and occasionally finding a jewel.

I just put a Marlin 39A on layaway at a local shop. It is in near mint condition and got it for what I would consider a deal. The steel in nice and deep, the wood is still noce but has a few handling marks. It has been shot very little.

This was at a shop I hadn't stopped at in a very long time but decided to pop in to check for and Savage bolt guns.

Dolomite

I see this topic come up pretty often, and each time I have to wonder what the perceived differences in guns shops and pawn shops are. In reality, they are basically the same thing. My experience with pawn shops pretty much mirrors my experience with gun stores; looking at thousands of overpriced, abused pieces and occasionally finding a jewel.

I think the perceived difference is that thieves take merchandise to pawn shops because pawn shops will take a gun from anyone without checking it first, where as gun shops won't risk their FFL...they will always check it first. For the most part, I would guess that is untrue, but I think it's the perception some people have.

I just left a gun store where a policeman was picking up a stolen gun. They are checked both places before they are sold. A pawn shop that carries firearms has a Federal Firearms License, and is held to the same rules and regs as a gun store owner.

+1

The pawn shops do work with LE regularly to prevent all thefts, not just gun thefts. I would be more worried about buying a firearm from an individual at a show, especially if it seems too good to be true. Pawn shops are reluctant to take in anything that might be stolen because they will be the ones out the money if it is. The bad guy already has his cash and the cops will have the item leaving the pawn shop loosing both.

Dolomite