Backcountry Protection: FMJ & Bonded JHP

Whatever the reason for being in the backcountry, hiking, hunting, etc. I am pondering a backcountry practice of carrying my magazines loaded with alternating FMJ and JHP. Anyone else do this? Are there any legal issues? ( I can't think of any, but it is late, . . and my brain is off - so I'll ask.) - again, this is for a self defense firearm, not for the actual hunting.

I carry a Glock 23, so I would be carrying with a 180grain bonded JHP in the chamber, and then alternating between that round and a 180grain FMJ throughout the magazine. I will test a good bit to be sure it feeds - unless someone on here sheds light on my ignorance with a good reason not to load rounds that way.

Here's my thinking: The JHP does what it does and provides a wound cavity; the FMJ offer greater penetration and bone-crippling potential on larger 4 legged attackers. I'm wondering if the combo might make the .40 caliber a little more effective than it would be with just JHP.

Alright, . . . let err rip.http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/images/smilies/nervous.gif

Edited by Peace
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, the only critters I am worried about move about on two legs or some mean-ass dog. Your biggest threat in the back-county are two-legged kind and for that HP is probably the best choice. I have no recommendations for anything other than that but what you describe is sound.

Thanks guys-

About FMJ and junting - right, right. understood, but this thread is just asking about the combo making the .40 more effective against (attacking) animals that it might not take down with just HP in a defensive situation.

anybody have experience with this - ever heard of it before?

I wouldn't be worried about over penetration for a self defense situation from an animal. It's not like you're worried about shooting a wild dog and the round going through the dog into a tree....lol

Either one is fine....I'd probably use something you trust and that feeds 100% in your gun. I would be more worried about my gun failing as a wild dog is approaching then whether or not I shot it with HP or FMJ.

I carry Hornady XTP's in the woods. They are deeper penetrating hollow points. I don't have experience with them in .40, but I have used them on hogs in .44 and .357. I have been happy so far and I would carry them solely in a .40 in the back country without worry.

Guest BEARMAN

Or, maybe Buffalo Bore +P ammo would fit the bill nicely.

Bestsellers

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun... Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun... Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun...

Sale Item

Home » Handgun Ammunition» Heavy .40 +P Smith and Wesson

gray_h_arrow.gif Heavy .40 +P Smith and Wesson

Heavy .40 +P Smith & Wesson Field Proven pistol and handgun ammo. Maximum firepower ammunition. Best ammunition for pistols and handguns for sale. Buffalo Bore. Strictly big bore. Strictly Business.

Page 1 of 11

Sort By: Select Sort Method... Alphabetical Most Popular Price (Lowest to Highest) Price (Highest to Lowest) Age (Newest First) Age (Oldest First)

thumb_115_23a-100.jpgSKU: 23A/20

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 155 gr. (1,300 fps/M.E. 582 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

$26.66

Manufacturer: Buffalo Bore

spacer.gifthumb_116_23b-100.jpgSKU: 23B/20

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point (1,100 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

$26.66

spacer.gifthumb_117_23c-100.jpgSKU: 23C/20

Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Pistol and Handgun Ammo Heavy .40 Smith & Wesson +P Ammo - 180 gr. F.M.J. (1,100 fps/M.E. 484 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

$26.66

spacer.gif

Personally, the only critters I am worried about move about on two legs or some mean-ass dog. Your biggest threat in the back-county are two-legged kind and for that HP is probably the best choice. I have no recommendations for anything other than that but what you describe is sound.

This.

If you're worried about "larger 4 legged creatures", carry a larger gun. If the hide on a bear (or similar) clogs up a JHP and prevents expansion, it functions just like a FMJ anyway.