Wikileaks Documents

Good enough, I reckon.

I don't think the Mossad is after him, or the FSB (KGB), since he hasn't bared any of their secrets, or he'd probably already been zapped.

Of course, we don't do that sort of thing any more (and I guess we really don't, unfortunately -- sure would save a lot of tax money).

So that just leaves the various Arab nations who are chagrined over one release or the other. After all, etymology of "assassin" IS Arabic.

- OS

Yeah, not much a sense of humour in the Arabic world generally.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry:________________

Thanks for the kind words. They are much appreciated. I believe as you do (....and as many others here do....) that real people have to take back the political discourse.

RE: LBJ --- LBJ was one of the most delightful, windsome, and rascally political personalities in modern times. You couldn't help but love his style and antics no matter the political persuasion. I was about 21 years old when LBJ made the speech that i referenced. Any student of modern history (...or oratory...) should take the time to go to Youtube and watch some of LBJ's speeches (...if they are there...).

RE: Beck. I see Beck just like you do. He is an "over the top" guy; and that tends to stir things up. I think Fox needs to team Beck up with Geert Wilders from the Netherlands; they would really have some incenderary stuff then!! I love Wilders; he is a great Dutchman.

Keep up the good work.

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!

Saw some here commenting on the "catty" remarks by our diplomatic corp. Actually, that is their job. Those cables were never meant to be public knowledge for at least 40 or 50 years. They are supposed to be candid assessments from our diplomats of their counterparts. If the counterpart is crooked and demands a bribe or even hints at it, then they need to pass that on to Washington. If he or she speaks a certain way or uses certain language or likes little boys or girls then Washington needs to know that too. It's all part of diplomacy. Yes it is embarrassing when these things get out, but I guarantee you that other diplomatic corps are doing and saying the same thing about us. I haven't seen or heard a great uproar from other Governments about these cables. So I think it's really a big to do about nothing. It does educate the public about how things work and about reasons we do things.

The leaks of military documents were much more damaging. They put our troops in harms way by telling what/when/how and where we were operating. They can be studied for trends as to the way we operate, though our enemies should already have a pretty good idea on that already. They also exposed contacts on the ground that we were using for intelligence purposes. For this the young private should be tried for treason and if found guilty, be sentenced to death, be allowed to appeal and then shot if that appeal is lost.

I understand that the next big Wiki-Leak is to come from a very large American Bank. Rumor has it that is Bank of America. When this was announced last week about the Large Bank release, Bank of America's stock fell quite dramatically. Hate to be them.

Should Wiki-Leaks be prosecuted? I don't think so. I think they are doing what our on news organizations would do, if given half the chance and we will never prosecute them.

We obviously, as stated earlier by several here, need to clean our house up and tighten security of our documents, so this doesn't happen again.

Saw some here commenting on the "catty" remarks by our diplomatic corp. Actually, that is their job. Those cables were never meant to be public knowledge for at least 40 or 50 years. They are supposed to be candid assessments from our diplomats of their counterparts. If the counterpart is crooked and demands a bribe or even hints at it, then they need to pass that on to Washington. If he or she speaks a certain way or uses certain language or likes little boys or girls then Washington needs to know that too. It's all part of diplomacy. Yes it is embarrassing when these things get out, but I guarantee you that other diplomatic corps are doing and saying the same thing about us. I haven't seen or heard a great uproar from other Governments about these cables. So I think it's really a big to do about nothing. It does educate the public about how things work and about reasons we do things.

I wasn't commenting on whether or not those remarks should be made. Instead, I was saying, "So their catty remarks went public. Big deal."

The leaks of military documents were much more damaging. They put our troops in harms way by telling what/when/how and where we were operating. They can be studied for trends as to the way we operate, though our enemies should already have a pretty good idea on that already. They also exposed contacts on the ground that we were using for intelligence purposes.

And my thought on that is, "What military info would a young private and a silly website be able to get ahold of from documents that are classified, not top secret, simply classified that wouldn't already be common knowledge in the international espionage community and that the other countries that matter wouldn't already know?" Had it been top secret info that was released then this might deserve all the hoopla but it wasn't. In other words, once again, big deal.

Yeah, the Private in this incident should be punished. It appears that he went against his duty and the confidence vested in him. Should he be shot? Nah. Should he spend a few years in a military prison and be dishonorably discharged? Yeah.