Limits on ammunition possession

Don't know if this is the right place so if not a mod can move it I guess.

Does anyone know, or know where to look for information concerning how many rounds of ammunition a person may legally keep in their residence?

What about cans of smokeless or black powder, primers etc..?

Is there limitations?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know of a federal or TN state law that would limit the amount of ammunition you have. TN weapons laws are not that long and do not note any limit on how much you can i have. I guess it all depends on how much money you can spend on toys and ammo.

Guest ETS_Inc

It's regulated by Fire Codes, not BATFE or TCA.

Oh, and I personally know people with 100,000+ rounds of ammo in their home at any given time. (And it's not all .22 lr, although, I'm sure there are a good 10,000 rounds of it on hand.) You wouldn't believe the amount of 5.56, 7.62x51, and 9mm he has. :D

In TN no counties or cities can pass local laws when it comes to firearms or ammuntion. T.C.A. 39-17-1314

I saw that also. But the intent of that law appears to be to protect against the civil lawsuits against gun manufacturers, and to prevent city gun bans.

I doubt that law would trump a local fire code that says you can’t store 50,000 pounds of gun powder in a residence….. But I certainly could be wrong. :(

Also, I would guess that most laws on the storage of explosives and gun powder were in place prior to 1986; that law has no impact on them.

What about cans of smokeless or black powder, primers etc..?

Is there limitations?

As far as the Feds are concerned, you can buy up to 50 pounds of BP for "sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms or in antique devices." Be sure to keep an antique around.... If you sell the stuff, it has to be in an approved storage container.

Looks like how much you can have in your home is up to state and local authorities. In single family dwellings it's 5# in New York and 2# (without fire department permit) in Massachusetts.

As far as I know, Tennessee has no regulation. So I guess.........you can have up to 50 pounds. Please consult with your attorney for a more definitive answer. :(

I ain't particularly worried about it. My boss and I were talking and he has a buddy that has a class 3 permit and a couple or more automatic guns. I mentioned about the amount of ammo they could run through and he said something to the effect of this guy has a lot of rounds on hand.

It just made me wonder if there was a law about it. I have been looking but can't find anything.

i know a guy who shoots a lot of skeet and trap and reloads. He told me that a lot of insurance policys have limits on how much powder and primers you can keep in your house. If you have over x amount, then they would not cover damages if there was a fire. Never did any research to find out if this was true or not so take it for what its worth...

I saw that also. But the intent of that law appears to be to protect against the civil lawsuits against gun manufacturers, and to prevent city gun bans.

I doubt that law would trump a local fire code that says you can’t store 50,000 pounds of gun powder in a residence….. But I certainly could be wrong. :(

Also, I would guess that most laws on the storage of explosives and gun powder were in place prior to 1986; that law has no impact on them.

I guess you are probably right Dave. I was more just wanting to say a city can't have a law that says you can only have X amount of rounds of ammunition on hand. Of course there are other ways around it.

And thanks for the update on the other thing.

Depends on city, county, state and federal regs. The most restrictive apply.:(

In Tennessee, the state preempts cities and counties from making firearms rules more stringent than the state. So you only have to be concerned with the Feds and the State code.

Guest TN.Frank

I know BATFE has a limit on how much black powder you can stock before you need to buy a special safe to keep it in and special storage areas but as to ammo, don't know of any in Tennessee. Of course if Hillery gets into office you know they'll be all kinds of junk gun laws pushed thru "for the children",LOL.

• 2 months later...
Guest Liberty Seeker

After having read a couple of articles about people being arrested for this, I started trying to check on the legal issues regarding this in TN. I can't find anything in the TN Code, so the only restriction I can find is the fire code. It says you can store no more than 10,000 centerfire primers in a residence, but doesn't clarify between loose primers or ammunition. Does anyone have any concrete information regarding the amount of ammunition that can be legally kept in a residence? I'm no where close to the 10,000 even if that is the limit, I just thought it might be a good thing to know if there is a limit.