Upper advice for AR

Guest I_AM_WOOD

Guest I_AM_WOOD

Building my first AR and I am doing it on a budget. I have been looking at the Blackthorn uppers, but today start started to look around at forums and the census seems to be on AR15.com that they have bad products. Would I be better off spending a little more and getting a Del-ton kit? Any other recommendations?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Del-Ton upper and it is great! they accidentally sent a bolt and carrier with it as well, and told me to just keep it. So I got the whole thing for $380. Blackthorne is Vulcan, is Hesse, is crap. Do a search and you will not find many pleased customers with and of the afore mentioned incarnations of Hesse.

I bought mine from blackthorne and I have not put it through any endurance tests or abuse yet but I did get it out and shot about 30 rounds thru it with no malfunctions at all. I can't say what it may do in the long run but realistically I will not shoot thousands of rounds thru it anyway so it will most likely hold up just fine for my uses.

I know lots of folks talk badly about them and say they are vulcan, hesse, but this is from their website: http://akpartskits.com/faq.html if you scroll down to the part about who makes them you will see they say LMT, LAR...

Edited by andersmg
  • 2 weeks later...

If you do a little research you will find that chrome lined barrels are not as accurate as non chrome lined. The only reason most manufacturers chrome them is because law enforcement agency's require it. Custom builders offer both. Yes they are easier to clean. The only advantage is if you shoot corrosive ammo, and you wont in an AR. You will get a longer barrel life also if its not chromed.