Simmunition

Was watching a show called Special Ops Mission on the Military Channel. It's a show where they simulate a bunch of bad guys protecting some assets, and a good guy is sent in to infiltrate and destroy an objective. Fairly interesting. Much of it is filmed from a first person view, similar to Survivor Man.

Anyway, one of the objectives is to take out the enemy. They were using actual M16's, but loaded them with something they called Simmunition. Basically it is a paintball loaded inside an actual round. Sounded to me like it did not have the same powder load.

Anyway, they said the rounds were something new, but only available to military and law enforcement. I was wondering if anyone had seen them in person?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the new simmunitions in training. To use them you use your actual weapon, you simply swap in a different bolt. The sim rounds are actually a rimfire round vs. The standard centerfire.

The new sim rounds are good for their ability to use real weapons for training. However they do have malfunctions. I would say one doublefeed per magazine the last time I used them.

Sims are great for force on force training. However... those f*%$ers hurt. I photographed a couple of exercises where the troops were using those. As it turns out, being the guy with a camera just makes you more of a target. I had bruises for days afterward.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

I've used them in FOF training. They have quite a bite to them. They were also pretty unreliable and seemed to malfunction frequently. I used them in instructor-provided guns painte orange, so I'm not sure what modifications had been made to the weapon.

I've used them in FOF training as well.

The guns we were using were made by Glock, but were dedicated Sim guns (blue frame, black slide). We also had shells for our 14" 870's that allowed them to use .38 special sim rounds.

Loads of fun. :D

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Honestly, I've found it to be one of the most eye-opening experiences I've ever had in training. Not only does FOF test your shooting skills, but your decision making process and your ability to operate under pressure. You discover the holes in your training very quickly. You also learn important things about armed confrontation. Action always beats reaction. You are VERY likely to be shot or injured, especially when faced by multiple BGs. You also learn that many times, the best action is to retreat, rather than enter a dangerous situation.

For example, when I first tried FOF, I realized that years of shooting on static ranges had taught me to stand still when I shot, when moving often meant the difference between being shot or not. Once I broke that habit, my performance in FOF improved dramatically. Many USPSA and IDPA shooters would find that they really knew nothing about tactics, had terrible use of cover and that their tendencies to go straight to the trigger often got them shot.

If it is run right, everyone leaves FOF training with a to-do list of training items. I've never seen anyone (even some SWAT level operators and numerous military combat vets) leave training without being shot.

I had a class over in Carthage, NC this fall at a facility (Trigger Time) where a lot of DOD, JSOC, CIA, and other alphabet groups train. We found dozens of intact sim rounds on the ground, mostly 9mm. They had no firing pin marks on them and our instructor said they were likely from clearing malfunctions. He had experience with them too and said a lot of guns won't run sim rounds.

BTW...that video is awesome. I wanna do that!