CASTING .45 ACP LEAD BULLETS

Future son-in-law purchased some casting equipment, pot, bullet molds, etc for the .45 ACP/230 grain round nose. For a first timer, those are some nice looking bullets. I checked the bullets for hardness like the directions said, and compared to some I had from another source, his are some dang hard bullets! I sized them this morning, lubed them, and have loaded several different loads.

1 - Accurate #2 powder, 5.2 grains

2 - Accurate #5 powder, 8.1 grains

3 - Unique powder, 6.5 grains

I think these loads are correct, however, its late and I don't remember the data. Good thing I DID write them down!

I will post range results later. Although I had not become a fan of casting bullets, this does seem to be quite fun and challenging. I could be on to something else to occupy my time......

Edited by ftncityfatboy
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on the ventilation! Maybe +4 or 5! Lead vapors are nasty and bad for you. I cast for a short time back in the 80's. Lots of work. Not sure what lead is running these days, but back then I was getting linotype for cheap... around 25 to 50 cents a pound. Made good hard bullets. I'd guess wheel weights are a good choice these days.

You can back those AA5 loads way down if you just want a good plinking load. I use 6.0-6.2 gr of AA5 with both the 230 and 190 gr lead and it is very mild and cycles the action even on my RIA Compact. Doesn't beat the gun up either.

Thanks, I will back that one up. I will load a few tomorrow and take those along with the rest of them to the range and see about accuracy. I want to find a GOOD plinking round and a GOOD self defense round to put into the safe.

I generally use 5.0 of unique in 200 swc in .45 acp and makes for a nice easy shooting round. I'd say 6.5 is going to be humpping w/ a 230.

great, thank you for the advise....I will try that one as well. Don't want no humping going with my .45!!!