Killing Snakes

JAB

This isn't specifically about hunting but I put it in this forum because the thread was started in order to avoid hi-jacking the thread regarding what TGOers would change about Tennessee hunting regs. If the mods feel this would be better elsewhere then I will defer to their decision.

I have said, before, and I will say, again that I wish someone would point me to the reg or law that specifically makes it illegal to harm snakes. I do not believe such a reg or law exists, although the website for the Tennessee Herpetological Society would lead one to believe that it does. There are laws prohibiting the harm, killing or possession of non-game wildlife, in general (which would include snakes) but I can find nothing that mentions snakes, specifically.

Also, there are laws that allow one to kill non-endangered or non-protected wildlife if said wildlife is destroying your property (which, by my layman's interpretation, sounds like it would include the damned chicken snakes in my coop eating the eggs.) The only time a special permit is needed for such is when the offending animal falls under 'big game' (deer eating crops, etc.) From the Tennessee Code Annotated via Michie's:

70-4-115. Destruction and disposal of wildlife — Permit — Penalty. —

(a) The owner of lands may destroy any wild animals, wild birds, or wild fowl when such wild animals, wild birds, or wild fowl are destroying property upon such lands. Any person, before destroying any big game under the conditions provided for in this section, is required to obtain a permit for destroying such big game. Such permit shall be issued by an officer of the wildlife resources agency.

Also by my layman's reading, the law says that even protected animals can be legally killed with no permits or prior authorization if they are presenting an immediate threat to human life. I know some folks say that a healthy adult can survive a copperhead bite but I have been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy - a weak heart muscle - as well as a couple of other health related issues that would likely put me in a higher risk category. Personally, I will not take the chance that I can 'possibly' or even 'probably' survive simply to spare a poisonous snake. That doesn't mean I will go looking for snakes to kill them just that I'm not taking any chances. From the TCA, again via Michie's with the relevant part 'bolded' by me:

70-8-106. Management programs — Exceptions to regulations. —

(e) Upon good cause shown, and where necessary to alleviate damage to property or to protect human health and safety, endangered or threatened species may be removed, captured or destroyed but only pursuant to a permit issued by the executive director and by or under the supervision of an agent of the agency; provided, that endangered or threatened species may be removed, captured, or destroyed without permit by any person in emergency situations involving an immediate threat to human life. Provisions for removal, capture, or destruction of nongame wildlife for the purposes set forth above shall be set forth in regulations issued by the executive director pursuant to § 70-8-104(a).

Edited by JAB
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The harvesting of any animal in which there is no specified season, may only be done so by special proclamation of the wildlife resources commission". Snakes are a protected species in TN, and may not be harvested ect., ect.,. I'm sure it all comes down to "intent". There is a differnce between rattlesnake hunting and killing a Copperhead in your yard. Read up on it.

I'm sure it all comes down to "intent". There is a differnce between rattlesnake hunting and killing a Copperhead in your yard. Read up on it.

bingo!

I am a forester and I tend to leave all snakes alone, but from time to time i have been confronted with a contrary one that impeded my work safety and it had to be dealt with.

Guest Republican

Dont kill them unless one is in your yard or camp, etc regardless of whatever the law says. How many people do you know that have been bitten by a copperhead or rattlesnake? Less than 3 if any, so it shouldnt be a major concern.

I know a few people that is so afraid of snakes they will almost wet themselves when they see them. The part that gets me is, is the snake is crawling AWAY and they get after it with a stick, rock, log, hoe ect., ect. instead of just letting the thing crawl away.

I have killed 2 in the last 25 years, 3 if you count an accidental, all copperheads. The accident was my window as a teen, I had crank out/sideways windows and he got scissored in the works, never knew it was there. Never bothered a rattler, though I have seen a couple. Its not something I worry about much, but if I encounter a mean animal, I can and will deal with it.

Guest Jcochran88
Dont kill them unless one is in your yard or camp, etc regardless of whatever the law says. How many people do you know that have been bitten by a copperhead or rattlesnake? Less than 3 if any, so it shouldnt be a major concern.[/quote

i have been bitten by a copperhead before. But I agree with everyone else just leave them alone unless they are in your yard or as such.

Guest BEARMAN
[[/quote

i have been bitten by a copperhead before. But I agree with everyone else just leave them alone unless they are in your yard or as such.

Would like to hear your rest of the story on the snake bite, J.

Guest Jcochran88

Was a while ago in the boy scouts playing capture the flag at night. Jumped over a log rolled up next to it as a hiding spot. Sharp pain in lower leg shinned the flashlight down there and there she was about 3 foot long as big as my arm. Luckily she only got one fang in but that was enough!!

Guest 22-rimfire

Copperhead damage can be substantial if you are bit. You probably won't die.

I don't kill any snakes anymore. I used to spend a great deal of my time in the woods in KY and TN. Without trying particularly, I have seen three rattlesnakes in a day and a couple copperheads. Snakes are protected in TN now. It is one of those things you do what you have to do and you don't talk about it. Snake hunts are out of the question.

• 2 weeks later...
Dont kill them unless one is in your yard or camp, etc regardless of whatever the law says. How many people do you know that have been bitten by a copperhead or rattlesnake? Less than 3 if any, so it shouldnt be a major concern.

This happened just a few days ago

EAST RIDGE, TN. (WRCB)-- A man is dead after being bitten by a copperhead snake.

It happened at a home on Blanton Drive in East Ridge.

Eyewitness news has learned 26-year-old Wade Westbrook was bitten just above the elbow by a copperhead.

A friend brought the snake to the house.

Police and investigators with the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency are still putting the pieces together.

We know that EMS responded to the home just after 8:00pm Saturday and immediately began CPR. Westbrook was taken to Erlanger, but by the time the ambulance arrived it was too late.

"He was a nice guy, I liked him and he was just fascinated with exotic animals and snakes," says Clyde Malcomb.

[snip]

Complete store here

Guest mosinon

"Eyewitness news has learned 26-year-old Wade Westbrook was bitten just above the elbow by a copperhead.

A friend brought the snake to the house."

Wow, pretty sure bringing a venomous snake INTO THE HOUSE is not the best way to deal with the things.

Like when Seigfried or Roy or whichever got mauled by the that tiger. Wild animals are just well, wild animals.

So where can I get that proper permit? I have to ask. :rolleyes:

Going back to where can i get a permit to kill snakes.

here is the closest I can find.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - FAQs

There's a skunk, opossum, etc. living under my house will you remove them?

TWRA permits certain private individuals who do animal damage control. For a list of animal damage control permit holders, click here.

The click here in the quote is ----> http://www.state.tn.us/twra/pdfs/adclist.pdf

I am guessing these companies have the permits and they are probably not issued to private people like me. O well. No snake hunts for me.

If it's in your yard or on your property and you decide to let it go, it stays around and someone else get bitten how would you feel? :rolleyes:

so you kill the snake and then a rat gets in your house and gnaws on your baby's leg, how would you feel?

When we were kids we would kill any snake we found just our upbringing. Now I will no longer kill a snake unless it is me or it I have even caught a grass snake with gloves on and let it go and we had one lay eggs in a rotted out tree that we cut down moved the eggs to a mulch pile and let them hatch keeps the mice population down. You just have to use some common sense. Over at Brandon Springs LBL they have a big black snake and they will let the kids pet it and it just lays on the ladies lap like it is no big deal.

Guest mosinon
If it's in your yard or on your property and you decide to let it go, it stays around and someone else get bitten how would you feel? ;)

One time lightning struck a golfer by my house. Sure, he was carrying a twelve foot umbrella that trailed copper wires but... I felt terrible because I didn't shoot the last cloud I saw.

Guest Aces&8s

I knew a man, old friend of the family, who lived down near Greenville, SC, who would kill any snake he came across... then on Sunday, would go to church and dance around holding a timber rattler. Never got bit so far as I know, but he continued to kill wild snakes as being "murderous" til he died. Of course, he voted for John Kennedy because he thought JFK was the antichrist and his election would cause the Second Coming to occur, too...

Never really got that guy.

I knew a man, old friend of the family, who lived down near Greenville, SC, who would kill any snake he came across... then on Sunday, would go to church and dance around holding a timber rattler. Never got bit so far as I know, but he continued to kill wild snakes as being "murderous" til he died. Of course, he voted for John Kennedy because he thought JFK was the antichrist and his election would cause the Second Coming to occur, too...

holy :rolleyes: that dude was looney on some many levels

:rolleyes: