Geocaching

Guest uofmeet

Guest uofmeet

Anyone on the board do it? I did a couple months ago with some friends and stopped for a while. Just started doing it again the other day. Was wondering if anyone else does?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
can you guys recommend a GPS? I wonder if I can just unplug the Garmin that I have in my car and use it.

Not really, most car GPS units are programmed to "follow" roads and a lot of times they don't know how to act once you leave the road. I like the Garmin eTrex line of units. The most basic one is real cheap. Some even have Geocaching features. I use a Garmin eTrex Venture HC and it suits me just fine.

Never done it but I have run into a few groups of people doing it. Harmless fun but doesn't really seem entertaining to me. I found one group at the gate of a secure area at the Police Department one day and they tried to tell me their next location was inside the area. Needless to say they had to figure their coordinates again lol.

Guest clownsdd

Actually was a charter member of the TN Geocachers. Haven't done it in a while, my arthritis won't let me ride the bike as much.

I use a Garmin etrex legend. Mapquest or some other mapping software is helpful as well. Shelby Farms has some great ones hidden.

Great group.

can you guys recommend a GPS? I wonder if I can just unplug the Gamin that I have in my car and use it.

I have been a few times. I went to some public places but i stopped when some caches where on the edge of snooping around too much for my comfort. I didn't care for feeling like I was sneaking around so I don't do it much.

As for a GPS. I don't have the model with me at the moment, other the my droid X, the Gamin I brought my wife a few years ago had a screen option to tell your position and I was able to use it to get with in a few feet of a cache. So yes some car GPS have the correct options. But I am not into them a wholealot.

The most we did other then GeoCache with hers was update an SD card with a trapster app so it beeps around traffic cameras and stuffs.

Guest 73challenger
I have been a few times. I went to some public places but i stopped when some caches where on the edge of snooping around too much for my comfort. I didn't care for feeling like I was sneaking around so I don't do it much.

I looked at some coordinates that were pretty close. Seemed like most of them were on the edge of trespassing. I think the Cherokee national forrest would be a prime place to have geocaches.

The rules for placing a cache allow for being accessible.

Yea, however not everyone seems to follow those rules when hiding them. You may not know until you are getting close. I forget where a couple was but I knew I was close and it seems like I was going to have to be on the edge of trespassing and decided not to go any farther.

can you guys recommend a GPS? I wonder if I can just unplug the Garmin that I have in my car and use it.

I use the Garmin 60 series and it's really good but if I was buying today I would get the new 62 series. I think the 62 series is replacing the 60. I have seen some great deals on the 60 series lately.

Can someone explain to me what geocacheing is? I'm very uninformed on this, all I know is you get coordinates and it's like a treasure hunt. Do you get what the last person put there and put something in it's place or am I just out there?

You find it, sign the physical log, and log it online telling about your experience hunting the cache and or what you think about the location of the cache. There is more to it but that is the basics.

Guest clownsdd
Can someone explain to me what geocacheing is? I'm very uninformed on this, all I know is you get coordinates and it's like a treasure hunt. Do you get what the last person put there and put something in it's place or am I just out there?

Simply put, a worldwide scavenger hunt.