I had no idea.

mav

:rant:I have been fighting a cold that has lasted for almost 2 weeks. It has been more of a nuisance than anything else. I decided to go to the drug store this morning to purchase some decongestant. While at the drug store, I noticed that a lot of the shelves contained slips of paper stating that you would need to go to the pharmacy in order to get the medicine. I grabbed a piece of paper and went to the pharmacy counter to get what I wanted. I then had to show ID, read some agreement, and sign my name before I could get the item.

I asked the teller why all of this was necessary for over-the-counter medicine. She responded condescendingly by asking me if I had never heard of methamphetamines and did I not realize that some people were snythesizing meth from the cold medicine. She then responded that this was all to protect the children. I have to admit that when I heard the last part I wanted to vomit.

I remember a few years ago Congress passed some nanny-state legislation to combat illicit meth manufacturing. I also remember doing a phone survey on the matter, in which I stated that I was totally against it. Since I am hardly ever sick and rarely buy over-the-counter medicine, this was my first experience since the implementation of the legislation.

Perhaps I am making too big of a deal of this, but I did not like it one bit. I am not a criminal, and I don't really like the idea that I am treated as one and must submit my purchase to some database to prove that I am not.

As far as the "for the children" statement goes, bulls**t. Too much garbage legislation gets passed using that reasoning.

Rant is over.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sudafed is a key ingredient in the manufacture of meth. meth is a very dangerous drug and the people that use this very often not only endanger themselves but their children as well. The manufacturing of this drug is extremely volatile it can and does explode often when made and the fumes will kill you. I see children very often put in harms way just so their junky mom or dad can get a fix. If you saw what law enforcement people see after most people are at home tucked in bed you would change your mind about this so called "bulls**t. Too much garbage legislation"

meth is a very dangerous drug and the people that use this very often not only endanger themselves but their children as well.

So is alcohol. There are numerous violent alcoholics out there, yet I don't see any such legislation even being contemplated requiring you to go through all the steps that it takes to purchase a small package of Mucinex. This combat meth legislation had nothing to do with protecting children. However, the use of such language is designed to stifle debate and demonize those who would oppose it. I mean, who would be against protecting children? No one.

Amen to NRA's comment. Pseudoephedrine is the key ingrediant--a must have. Some other things used are brake fluid, fuel for camping lanterns, etc. A big issue in my area is "mobile labs"--drive to a seculed spot, make the meth, then dump everything. Why anyone would ever consider putting something into their body that a person must wear a hazmat suit and respirator to clean up after is beyond me. The process itself is hazardous and dangerous. The leftover from the process is also extremely hazardous and some of these idiots are making it while their kids are crawing around on the floor! I'm for making it as hard as possible to get the ingrediants because I don't want a lab anywhere near me or where I go.

Amen to NRA's comment. Pseudoephedrine is the key ingrediant--a must have. Some other things used are brake fluid, fuel for camping lanterns, etc. A big issue in my area is "mobile labs"--drive to a seculed spot, make the meth, then dump everything. Why anyone would ever consider putting something into their body that a person must wear a hazmat suit and respirator to clean up after is beyond me. The process itself is hazardous and dangerous. The leftover from the process is also extremely hazardous and some of these idiots are making it while their kids are crawing around on the floor! I'm for making it as hard as possible to get the ingrediants because I don't want a lab anywhere near me or where I go.

I to have seen what you are talking about and meth heads have no concern for anything but the next fix. unfortunately I am afraid most people will not understand until you have seen this problem and how fast it is growing first hand. I am afraid we will never be able to save people from themselves and if it means 5 extra minutes to get my decongestant then so be it.

Have the current restrictions reduced the meth problem? Stupid people will weed themselves out of the gene pool if we'd leave them alone. In the meantime, pseudoephederine is the only product on the market, in my opinion, that does anything to combat the effects of a sinus infection. There are many products on the market, that when used incorrectly, can lead to death and injury. You can't legislate personal responsibility. Anyway, a large percentage of meth is now coming up from Mexico. Many existing laws have to be broken to manufacture and distribute meth. Why do you think that passing another law would help?

Guest Drewsett
Have the current restrictions reduced the meth problem? Stupid people will weed themselves out of the gene pool if we'd leave them alone. In the meantime, pseudoephederine is the only product on the market, in my opinion, that does anything to combat the effects of a sinus infection. There are many products on the market, that when used incorrectly, can lead to death and injury. You can't legislate personal responsibility. Anyway, a large percentage of meth is now coming up from Mexico. Many existing laws have to be broken to manufacture and distribute meth. Why do you think that passing another law would help?

Doesn't mean they won't try. I've seen people destroy their lives over drugs, but I am in agreement with gregintenn and mav, more laws don't make crime go away. I find it funny how people on this forum are quick to deride new gun control legislation because we already have laws against murder, etc. They always end up being the same people willing to pass laws for social engineering...just don't touch their guns.

Doesn't mean they won't try. I've seen people destroy their lives over drugs, but I am in agreement with gregintenn and mav, more laws don't make crime go away. I find it funny how people on this forum are quick to deride new gun control legislation because we already have laws against murder, etc. They always end up being the same people willing to pass laws for social engineering...just don't touch their guns.

BAM! Exactly what I was thinking. The net effect of this law is that folks with a cold have to sign some stupid form and are subject to scrutiny for getting sick. The criminals just get the stuff elsewhere. No change for criminals, we get hassled. Gee, that pretty much sounds like everything the government does, doesn't it?

Guest Jcochran88

It's like any other nanny law! The general public thinks they are helping and are willing to go through the hasel. While the meth heads just go else where for their sources. Now the politicians can say they are trying to make the streets safer and they believe them.

As much as I understand the bitchin about the nanny laws, I'm afraid that meth labs are a big deal. TN had more than 1400 busts last year. There's a new cooking formula using 2 liter pop bottles, they call it shake and bake and no "cooking" is required. None of this is possible without pseudoephedrine, the stuff in your cold pills. I understand and agree with the attitude about alcohol, but tweakers are a whole different animal. As for the proposed perscription for cold pilss, well that is indeed BS. Sort of a physicians work program...no doctor left behind.

Guest Jcochran88
As much as I understand the bitchin about the nanny laws, I'm afraid that meth labs are a big deal. TN had more than 1400 busts last year.

But the laws aren't working. This law has been in affect for more than 1 year, so if there where 1400 busts last year how is it helping?

But the laws aren't working. This law has been in affect for more than 1 year, so if there where 1400 busts last year how is it helping?

We just had 2 busts in the Bristol area that were the result of the laws. addicts are enlisted to go to various drug stores and buy the maximum amout of cold meds in exchange for some of the meth that's cooked up. In this case there were several people doing this and their repeated buys triggered whatever the reporting mechanism is.

It's not a perfect setup, but in the case of meth LE does need some tools to fight it.

But the laws are working with over 1400 bust ........come on! This really is a sad statement about how some people feel. I risk my life to help the people that cannot help themselves and seeing children almost daily affected my drugs and yes alcohol as well bothers me very much. It seems some of you guys really know little of what is going on after dark. How can some of you possibly compare the second amendment a so called "nanny law"? This problem is far greater then most of the general public understands.

just because lawmakers are trying to pass laws or have passed laws that force someone to show ID and sign papers does not mean that ALL such laws are a bad thing.

I can't just paint it with that broad of a brush.

Anything the man can do to slow down the meth chefs is alright in my book.

****ing illegal drugs ruin lives. And not just the lives of the addicts.

Guest Jcochran88
But the laws are working with over 1400 bust ........come on! This really is a sad statement about how some people feel. I risk my life to help the people that cannot help themselves and seeing children almost daily affected my drugs and yes alcohol as well bothers me very much. It seems some of you guys really know little of what is going on after dark. How can some of you possibly compare the second amendment a so called "nanny law"? This problem is far greater then most of the general public understands.

I understand the problem I am just saying they are still making meth with the law. 1400 busts is great so what is that like 10% of the actual labs? I understand the affects of this on kids my wife is a social worker that has been dealing with a lot of kids that have been diagnosed with mental illnesses due to parents cooking meth, some of these kids where just in the same apartment building as the cookers.

I know I heard of a law that was going to make allot of common over the counter medicine only available over the counter or by prescription. it might have went into effect with out us even noticing if this is happening.

The part about making a 3-4 dollar items only available my prescription really pissing me off because then I have to pay my doctor a 25 dollar co pay for it. Some people that don't have insurance pay even more. It is a big pile of horse ;)

I know I heard of a law that was going to make allot of common over the counter medicine only available over the counter or by prescription. it might have went into effect with out us even noticing if this is happening.

The part about making a 3-4 dollar items only available my prescription really pissing me off because then I have to pay my doctor a 25 dollar co pay for it. Some people that don't have insurance pay even more. It is a big pile of horse ;)

No that has not passed and yes I agree that it is BS.

My question is where are these people getting the stuff from the law does not seem to be working to me & +10000 on that repeat offender thing

Any individual has the right to buy cold meds with pseudoephedrine. You are just required to sign for it. There are reporting standards so that if an individual buys enough cold meds to treat lots of sick people and does it repeatedly, then they are reported to LE. The law can only slow down the problem. That's why there is talk of requiring a scrip.

It's a trade off. The laws is indeed helping. I guess the question is just how effective do you want the laws to be??

No that has not passed and yes I agree that it is BS.

So if that has not past yet, why are some places just taking it on themselves to collect information from people? Seems they are over stepping they bounds. I very well may have missed a key point so you may have to type slow for me. ;)

Guest Jcochran88
So if that has not past yet, why are some places just taking it on themselves to collect information from people? Seems they are over stepping they bounds. I very well may have missed a key point so you may have to type slow for me. ;)

The law that has passed is that they collect your id number and name and you can only get like up to 48 pills. the law that hasn't passed is to make these prescription only.

An if that does pass it will work great because there is no way to abuse prescription medication.:D