What is happening here?

I have something to get off my chest and want opinions from the long time members here.

Has anyone else noticed what is happening with some of the new members. I have an item for sale in the classifieds. I may or may not have it priced too high. I have had 3 ridiculous, lowball offers made to me by PM just today! They were all made by members who had either "0" posts or less than 5. I think that we all generally respect each other here, and if someone prices something and lists it as "firm", that is respected. Especially among the veteran members. I expect lowball offers from the folks over on GOC, just not here.

Am I out of line or wrong? Opinions please.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The other day, I got a $60 discount on a $300 tool box at Home Depot because I asked for the "Super Awesome Person Discount".

Point is - sometimes, asking for a deal even when the price seems "firm" pays off. Why begrudge someone for asking? Just ignore 'em if you are truly firm in your price.

Guest Bronker

Trolling, Mike.

I think people stumble on this forum just like I originally did several years back. Actually 3 years ago to the day! Group hug!:)

Anyway, I think folks search google for "_______ gun for sale in Tennessee" and google finds us. Then they sign up so as to respond in classifieds, and are only interested in perusing the classifieds, but not taking time to engage and develop any reputation. Trolls essentially.

YMMV

The other day, I got a $60 discount on a $300 tool box at Home Depot because I asked for the "Super Awesome Person Discount".

Point is - sometimes, asking for a deal even when the price seems "firm" pays off. Why begrudge someone for asking? Just ignore 'em if you are truly firm in your price.

I see your point here and to some extent, I agree.

What WWMike is talking about, however, is an offer that is so low that it is offensive, might as well as give it away. I couldn't do that to somebody and I wonder why people think that it is ok to do that myself? Of course, I'm not much of a haggler anyhow...........

Edited by hardknox00001

What WWMike is talking about, however, is an offer that is so low that it is offensive, might as well as give it away. I couldn't do that to somebody and wonder why people think that is ok myself? Of course, I'm not much of a haggler anyhow...........

"Too low" is a pretty subjective concept, especially based on the sliding scale of the asking price (which may be (again, subjectively) "too high", making what could normally be considered a reasonable offer now seem - by comparison - "too low".

Then again, I'm a natural born haggler... so it makes perfect sense to me :):dunno:

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for haggling when the ad says "OBO". When the ad says "Firm", I don't expect any offers except "I'll take it. Can you meet me Knoxville".

Get asking price, but you drive to Knoxville, on a weekday...

Lowball offer, who will drive to your house tonight or at your earliest convenience...

Negotiations can take many forms :)

I think in a forum setting as this, lowballers seem a little more disrespectful. I have been known to put in lowball offers on some stuff with people I have absolutely no connection with, but I would not do it here. As I said, I think it is disrespectful amongst a group of people who basically consider each other friends. Good luck with your sales.

Guest josh123

if i see an offer that says firm and im not prepared to pay what the lister is asking then i just dont offer... i agree with what your saying.. i had a guy offer me $200 for my ruger lcp.. i told him if he could find me an lcp for 200 id but 10 of them.. honestly i know its the internet and ill never see this guy and it shouldnt bother me but it did.. i think its just some peoples nature to automatically expect someone to take something lower to get a sale completed..

Guest NashvegasMatt

I'm a manager at HD and can't even get that discount..... lucky.

Guest NashvegasMatt

What WWMike is talking about, however, is an offer that is so low that it is offensive, might as well as give it away. I couldn't do that to somebody and I wonder why people think that it is ok to do that myself? Of course, I'm not much of a haggler anyhow...........

Sometimes, people's "lowball" offers are what they've seen it for somewhere else.... or better yet all the money they have to spend. But i do agree there is a fine line between lowballing and offensive.

"Too low" is a pretty subjective concept, especially based on the sliding scale of the asking price (which may be (again, subjectively) "too high", making what could normally be considered a reasonable offer now seem - by comparison - "too low".

Then again, I'm a natural born haggler... so it makes perfect sense to me :):dunno:

agreed.... too low is implying that there is an underlying price that is just floating in the air that everyone should know about. and that's just not the case.

and want opinions from the long time members here.

Who cares what they PM you? I have seen some pretty crazy pricing in the for sale section that I would have liked to comment on, but it is my understanding that results in an immediate ban.

I would sure hate to have the rules changed to where people were afraid to make offers through a PM.

Guest clownsdd
firm is firm and people ought to respect that.

I hope you deleted without a response.

What he said. I just don't think "making an offer" is bad or objectionable. Just ignore the offer, simple.

I feel it's the nature of things. The offers that are low balled , then ask you to drive across the state I just ignore. I reply with a simple no and then delete. Some are pretty funny. I don't take offense. I make a living at a Auction and all things are negotiated until there is a deal.

Guest nicemac
firm is firm and people ought to respect that.

I hope you deleted without a response.

I agree.

However, I bought a drum sander on Craigslist last year that was $800 FIRM for $400.

Point is, the poster may think his price is firm, but if it can be shown his price is out of line, he may alter it.

Don't be insulted by a low-ball offer. You don't HAVE to reply, or you can negotiate. It isn't personal.

Guest mustangdave

The way I see it...from trying to sell stuff on line....your price may be FIRM to you...If you're hard up to sell it...and aren't getting any bites at your set price, you'll have to eventually drop that FIRM price. Just my nickles worth.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I see things sometimes that are a long ways from me and I think about PM'ing a lower offer considering that I would make the trip.

I dont however JUMP on doing that, I wait and see if the item sells and hold my offer in case it does not in say a week or at least a few days. So far everything has sold and I have not had to do that and I am fine with that. If I want something bad enough I will make the drive and pay the asking price.

As someone else said some of these folks have few posts, havent been around at all and most likely dont have a clue. I would be concerned about even doing business either way with some of those folks. Either way I would not let it get to ya Mike.

Guest nicemac
I see things sometimes that are a long ways from me and I think about PM'ing a lower offer considering that I would make the trip.

I dont however JUMP on doing that, I wait and see if the item sells and hold my offer in case it does not in say a week or at least a few days. So far everything has sold and I have not had to do that and I am fine with that. If I want something bad enough I will make the drive and pay the asking price.

As someone else said some of these folks have few posts, havent been around at all and most likely dont have a clue. I would be concerned about even doing business either way with some of those folks. Either way I would not let it get to ya Mike.

Keep in mind that just because someone hasn't been on this forum that they are clueless as to how online message boards work. I have been on trading forums online since 1993 (before most people but Owl Gore had even heard of the internets :-) ). I have only been on this forum for a couple of weeks. After being on dozens of forums through the years, I can safely say–the forum atmosphere is usually just about the same, just discussing different subject matter.

The main thing to remember is that a low ball offer should not be taken as an insult. One of the benefits of the internet is the ability to ignore any offer (or message) you wish to ignore.

Around here you can tell when your "FIRM" price needs to be adjusted by how long a item is available. I have noticed that items with fair prices disappear quickly.

I take issue with trades. If I specify a certain item for my item please don't offer me uncle Jeds' slingshot from 4th grade if I did not request it in trade.

People that know me well, know that if I price something "Firm", it won't be adjusted. I'm just stubborn enough to put it back in the safe and wait for the next big surge in sales. I know what I have invested, and what I can afford to accept. Anything lower than that and I just can't afford to sell.

Besides, we all know what happens when the current administration(who ever it is) utters the words, "Assault Weapons Ban", prices will go up again.

firm is firm

I've purchased and sold easily more than $100k worth of stuff on the internet over the last 16 or 17 years I have been online. A few years back, I purchased and parted out or sold 14 vehicles in one year. I've learned a lot about how to negotiate a deal, and one thing is for certain: firm is NOT always firm :D

I've made a LOT of lowball offers, and plenty of them are on "firm" items that I end up taking home. Like I said above - there is more to negotiations than price.

For example - when I contact someone online with a low offer, the other part of that is that I let them know I will NOT show up and try to haggle on the spot, etc. I tell them once we agree on a price, I show up, I show up on time, and I show up ready to GO, cash in hand. My offer may be low, but the "hassle factor" is WAY lower than the guy who agrees to your asking price and then shows up and wants to dicker, or doesn't show up at all, etc.