Tasers, Stun Guns-- Appropriate Response?

Guest sgphoto

Guest sgphoto

With the use of stun guns, tasers, and other tools, if someone attempts to use such a weapon is deadly force an acceptable response? I not sure of the latest legal position by police and the DAs. It may also vary across state lines.

Sounds as though a case for fear of great bodily harm or loss of life could be made for a reasoned use of firearms to stop the threat.

Anyone have the skinny?

Steve

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with a lot of these type questions, I don't think there is any standard, 100% correct answer.

Of course we all know the legal answer to the use of deadly force is if you are "in reasonable fear for great bodily harm or death."

Now does someone using or threatening to use one of those type devices pose a reasonable risk of great bodily harm or death to you? Well that is the question isn't, it?

In general my opinion would be, No. They are considered "less than lethal" weapons and are designed not to do permanent damage.

Of course there have been recent news stories of people dying after being shot with a taser by authorities. So one could attempt to argue they were in fear of great bodily harm or death. In the end it would be up to your twelve peers to decide.

But the question becomes, once you are incapacitated by the LTL device, what is the person going to do to you?

No one knows for sure, but I would imagine if some one comes at you with a stun gun and you produce a real gun, they are likely going to stop. If they don't then you could surmise that they are out to do you severe bodily harm or death.

Guest TNDixieGirl

If someone ever comes at me with a stun gun, or a baseball bat for that matter, I'm assuming great bodily harm is on their mind and taking appropriate action.

If someone ever comes at me with a stun gun, or a baseball bat for that matter, I'm assuming great bodily harm is on their mind and taking appropriate action.

Damn straight with a baseball bat I will put them down.

As far as any other thing they may have in their hand...I'm not saying don't shoot...or to shoot for that matter. That is up to you. I'm just saying to remember you may have to defend your actions at later time, in front of people who may or may not believe in the right to carry, who will not be under the stress you were at the time and so on and so on.

Guest TargetShooter84
Damn straight with a baseball bat I will put them down.

As far as any other thing they may have in their hand...I'm not saying don't shoot...or to shoot for that matter. That is up to you. I'm just saying to remember you may have to defend your actions at later time, in front of people who may or may not believe in the right to carry, who will not be under the stress you were at the time and so on and so on.

I agree with that one.

I would say, don't bring a taser to a gun fight. Anyone making an agressive move towards me with a taser that is not law enforcement is doing so to cause harm. I do not know about you guys but I do not believe someone coming at me with a taser is coming to ask me to join them at starcrack for a cup of coffee. As for the courts, the liberals are all already saying that a taser causes bodily harm. So if nothing else, you can claim liberal brainwashing in court.

I would say, don't bring a taser to a gun fight. Anyone making an agressive move towards me with a taser that is not law enforcement is doing so to cause harm. I do not know about you guys but I do not believe someone coming at me with a taser is coming to ask me to join them at starcrack for a cup of coffee. As for the courts, the liberals are all already saying that a taser causes bodily harm. So if nothing else, you can claim liberal brainwashing in court.

Those tazers will kill you, just watch the news. I did a google search for "taser deaths" and came up with 450 reports in the news section only, there was 174,000 in the web search part.

Disclaimer: Not saying tazers will kill you, just pointing out that there is a lot of information out there saying that they are dangerous and this information says that in case you ever NEED that kind of information....just pointing it out....

Edited by db99wj

Yup.

I dont care about any "less than lethal" argument. A fist is "less than lethal" and plenty of people have been beaten to death.

Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Guest WolfEagle

My vote is that it is better to be tried by 12 as to be carried by 6... I'd shoot anyone who comes at me with anything. If I don't have a gun then I will pick up a 2x4 board, rock or whatever else is around. Nowdays we are slowly being programed to rely on "others" to protect us. To that I say bullcrap. Police cannot protect themselves absent having a duty belt full of "goodies" including a firearm. Therefore, all any person needs is a gun and a back bone to stand on your own two feet and defend themselves...it's that easy...And oh, if all else fails then conduct a "citizens arrest" on them, by doing so you act pursuant to state law. I guess there really are a million different ways to skin a cat, or a bad person threatening me.

Guest CrazyLincoln

What is to say that when you are tased you don't fall on concrete and crack your skull bleeding to death? What if you are on a balcony or other elevated area? You could very well fall and die. While the courts ultimately decide, the law is based on a fear of harm, not a fear of harm directly from a particular weapon. Are you not able to use deadly force should someone try and push you off a roof or balcony with malicious intent?

When I first read the opening post my first thoughts were "what would they do after they paralized me for those few seconds. It would give them time to do what? I would be at their mercy. That would NOT be a place I want to be. It is not that I would be afraid of the taser but what that person was intending to do, why else would someone tase a person, so in my opinion if someone was about to tase me then there must be a reason for it that doesn't add up to them being a "nice" person. Therefore I do believe my life would be in jeopardy. I would fear for my life and must act accordingly.

Edited by Guns&Dobes
Guest ETS_Inc

First of all, Tasers and the like are no longer referred to as "Less Than Lethal," as has been pointed out, there is plenty of antecdotal evidence of them being deadly. The more correct term is "Less Lethal," as they are less likely to cause death than a firearm.

Secondly, what happens to you after a shooting boils down to two things: 1) how you articulate the situation, and 2) whether or not the evidence supports your story.

For the record, if someone attacks me with a stun gun or tazer, I will use the amount of force I feel necessary to defend my life. If that means I have to draw my firearm, than that's what happens. If the seconds it takes me to clear leather isn't enough for the person threatening me to change his mind, then I guess they have some seriously dangerous intentions. I hope they don't force my hand, but if that's what happens, it won't be of my doing.

Edited by ETS_Inc
Guest Shooting Coach

If a Law or Security Enforcement Officer is in imminent danger of losing control of Baton, Chemical Spray, or Electronic Device, use of Lethal Force is appropriate. It can be assumed that the purpose of taking the Less Lethal Device from the Officer is to incapacitate them and cause them serious bodily injury or death.

One could make an argument that an offender attempting to use a Less Lethal Device on an uninvolved Citizen would prompt appropriate use of Lethal Force against him.

Part of my Tactical Baton training is for the Enforcement student to transition to Deadly Force (Simunitions)when it is apparent to the student that he is about to lose his Baton to an offender when he is deploying it in an appropriate manner.

Due to civil liability, I do not train the use of a Taser, although I have "ridden the lightning". Government agencies have the money for a civil defense. I do not.:(

With this said, I would rather be Tased than beaten with a Baton, sprayed, or SHOT!:bowrofl:

Just remember if you get tasered, your gun can easily be taken away and used against you or someone else.

As far as taser deaths, in all of the reports I have heard of the suspect was high as a kite.

BUT he was a good boy and that evil tazer controlled by jackbooted thugs killed him not the Tony Montana mound of cocaine.

With the use of stun guns, tasers, and other tools, if someone attempts to use such a weapon is deadly force an acceptable response? I not sure of the latest legal position by police and the DAs. It may also vary across state lines.

Sounds as though a case for fear of great bodily harm or loss of life could be made for a reasoned use of firearms to stop the threat.

Anyone have the skinny?

Steve

Considering that the only reason why a person would use a taser to immobilize me, would be to have an advantage over me to do me harm... I would react just the same as if I felt threatened with a firearm or any other weapon.

Considering that the only reason why a person would use a taser to immobilize me, would be to have an advantage over me to do me harm... I would react just the same as if I felt threatened with a firearm or any other weapon.

After further thought, I would have to agree with the above.