interested in purchasing a shotgun

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

OK, I got out this morning and picked up the Remington. I was for some reason thinking that it would come with 3 chokes. It only has the one that is in the barrel. It is a "Modified Remâ„¢ Choke". I don't have a choke wrench, and even if I did I don't thinkI would be able to tell anything about the choke. It looks like a couple of buddies and I are going next monday to shoot some skeets (or at least attempt to). Is there a specific choke that is recommended for skeet? Also, I have been told to use 7, 1 1/2, and 8 shot. I am once again looking for suggestions.7, 7 1/2, or 8??? Different choke tube, or just don't worry about it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Guest docvantrease2003

i just picked up a nova at my local gun shop going to get turkey choke extra full just to take to turkey shots at the VFW on gallatin road.cant wait dont do any good but we have a lot of fun doing it

Guest bigbuck_tn
OK, I got out this morning and picked up the Remington. I was for some reason thinking that it would come with 3 chokes. It only has the one that is in the barrel. It is a "Modified Remâ„¢ Choke". I don't have a choke wrench, and even if I did I don't thinkI would be able to tell anything about the choke. It looks like a couple of buddies and I are going next monday to shoot some skeets (or at least attempt to). Is there a specific choke that is recommended for skeet? Also, I have been told to use 7, 1 1/2, and 8 shot. I am once again looking for suggestions.7, 7 1/2, or 8??? Different choke tube, or just don't worry about it?

The lower the number of the shot the larger and fewer shot it will have. You generally want an 8 or a 9 for skeet shooting. Your gun most likely came with a Modified choke as it is the "best" all around.

Generally you will want a more open choke (less restriction) for up close shots and a tighter (more restriction) for farther away shots. There are probably alot of guys/gals here that shoot skeet/clays/etc. I don't do it except with my brother and some friends.

Same way for the loads. Larger shot for farther away, smaller shot for up close. The larger shot is heavier and retains it's energy longer than the smaller shot, but the smaller shot has more opportunities to hit.

The basic choke set is:

Cylinder (no restriction)

Improved

Modified

Full

But there are alot of manufacturers who add some in between ones. Like extra full and Skeet and I think someone has an Improved Modified.

Hope this helps. There are probably others here that can give you alot more information. I mostly use my shotgun to shoot crows and skeet.

Guest rj8806

Good choice and congratulations. I have both the Remington 870 and the Benelli Nova. I can't find faults with either of them. The only thing I did notice, is the 870 has more kick then the Nova when using the same shot. I have only gone turkey hunting and use 3 1/2 magnum no. 5 shells.

Good luck.

Richard

Guest bazookazilla

I can understand. My buddy that I shoot with is a turkey hunter and he let me shoot one of his turkey loads through his Mossberg. After shooting one I did not want to shoot another. It hurt like Hell. He told me to hold the gun close and expect a big bang...but Christ Almighty.....BOOM!!!....OUCH!!!!>>>>

I did not want to shoot another turkey round, at least without a turkey in front of me. owowowowowow...my poor shoulder...

Edited by bazookazilla
foolish