interested in purchasing a shotgun

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

I am interested in purchasing a shotgun for home defense. I do not know much at all about shotguns. I would also like to start shooting skeets with said shotgun. I have been told that an 18" barrel is ideal for home defense. I am trying to figure out if that would also be good for skeet shooting. I know that choke tubes have a lot to due with what shotguns are useful for. I have been steered towards a Benelli Nova and told that it is very much superior to a Remington 870. I have 2 handguns, a Sig 229(.40 S&W) and a Kimber 1911 (.45 ACP). The way my house is constructed leaves me and my wife in a room that is only accessible is through one way. There are no other tenants accept my beloved German Shepherd Dog. I could very easily hole myself and my wife in our bedroom and defend against intruders with a shotgun. If our home were invaded, I cannot see myself actively hunting out an intruder, but rather waiting out and defending against an invasion into our bedroom. Is a 24" barrel a good idea or should I think about a shorter one? And is an 18" barrel with the right choke tube one that would be reasonable for shooting skeets? BTW both handguns "live" in a safe in our bedroom.

Edited by bazookazilla
trying not to look like a fool
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bazookazilla

it seems I meant Remington 870...not Winchester 870...stupid arse newbies...seems we don't ever know what manufacturers we are speaking about these days....:confused:

The Rem 870 is the workhorse of shotguns. You would find that probably 85% of police depts issue either the Remington or the Mossberg 500, and most of those are Remington.

Like an AR or a 1911 there are millions of aftermarket mods and parts for the thing.

If you get really serious about skeet you will probably end up with something else for a skeet gun. But in the meantime I would second the 870 with 2 barrels approach for economy and utility.

Guest bkelm18

I highly recommend against using flechette ammo or anything with the word "terminator" in it. Just to prevent any legal ramifications down the road. Anyhow, I have a Remington 870 18" with a Knoxx SpecOps stock. I like it very much.

Another vote for the 870. They are about indestructible. Barreles and aftermarket parts are easily available for them. If your going to blast skeet you will probably want a 28" or 30" barrel. I think I would go with the ever popular 20" barrel.

Another 870

I actually sold a Benelli Nova and used the proceeds to buy the 870. I'm still going to use it for Turkey hunting. The Nova was a sweet shotty but it was noisy! The pump grip would rattle incessently when in the woods. Either is nice, but the 870 is just the better one to me.

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

Benelli12gaugeNovashotgunSoldtoDanW.jpg

I had (and wish I still had... stupid money) a Maverick 88 all-purpose 28" pump gun. It's made by Mossberg, and I think from the 500 platform. Bought it for $137 new, WITH an aluminum long-gun case!

I put probably over 1,000 shells through it (from range shells to magnum buckshot and slugs) without a single problem. Was it plain looking? Yes Was I the envy of all those around me? No If I had a discretionary $137 would I buy another right now? Heck Yes!

It definitely doesn't have the reputation of an Rem 870, or a Mossy 500, but it's also a lot cheaper and worked just fine for me. I'm not diminishing the other guns, just sharing me great experience with a cheap gun.

Guest bazookazilla

wow, I am really surprised at the responses for the 870. I was told (by a salesperson) that the Benelli was the obvious superior, at around 75 bucks more than the 870. It seems the Nova hold 4 shells in the mag where the 870 holds 5 I believe. I would have a hard time convincing my wife anytime in the near future that I needed a second shotgun, because the first one I bought (after shopping around and researching shotguns) was just not quite good enough. Is the idea of having 2 barrels, an 18" and maybe a 28", stupid? Or would 2 different shotguns make more sense from a cost standpoint?

Edited by bazookazilla
spelling

If your not going to be doing long range hunting (dove, squirrel, duck, turkey at long range) you don't need the longer barrel and specialized chokes. Change your pattern and distance a bit with the type shell your going to use. 2 3/4 to 3 inch is usually a good bit of difference. Your talking about the difference of a 4 foot circle of flying pellets at 50 feet and a 3 foot circle with the longer barrel and full choke. Either way....you'll want to get out of that circle, eh!:(

Get what feels good to you and your wallet. Shotguns are the most forgiving guns out there....ya only got to get close!

One more vote for the 870. One shotgun with two barrels is a fine idea. A 3" chamber can shoot anything up to a 3" shell, so yes.

I was told (by a salesperson) that the Benelli was the obvious superior, at around 75 bucks more

One thing I can say for this forum, if everyone agrees on one thing, and Rabbi agrees with that one thing too, it's probably pretty safe to believe whatever that one thing is.

Remington certainly does make excellent shotguns and bolt-action rifles. So does FN, and so does Winchester (which are essentially made by FN now). Mossberg is a good entry-level maker of very sound shotguns, but if you're looking for refinement and smooth operation get a Remington or FN.

Comparing an 870 and a 500 is akin to comparing an AR and an AK.

I've got one of the little Maverick 88's that was mentioned above, but with a 18" barrel and a pistol grip for home defense. You can usually find those fairly cheap, mine was around $100 used. Didn't want anything much more than that for a gun that spends most of it's time laying under the bed instead of in the safe with the rest of them. It's had several rounds through it without any issues. If you want to get a really good one though, you gotta go with the Remington 870, but get two barrels because there is no way I would want to use my 18" for skeet shooting or hunting of any kind, but then again I wouldn't want to use one of my longer shotguns for home defense.

My recommendation would be for a field grade 870 express supermag. It will shoot up to 3.5" shells and has a wide variety of parts and accessories available. 18.5 and 20-inch barrels are easy to pick up inexpensively.

Benelli's are awesome, but parts and spare barrels are expensive.

Mossberg's are good too, but one model doesn't give you the versatility of the 870 supermag.

Guest atomemphis

I know lots has been said about the 870, but I wanna throw my 2 cents in for the Benelli Nova. A really great gun, only dislike is the pump rattles slightly (but I'm not an avid hunter, so I don't care).

It'll take 3.5" if you are willing to shoot 'em.

Guest bazookazilla

Well it's official. I have my mind up. I will go tomorrow to purchase a Remington 270. I have submitted said capital request to the Board of Directors and it has been approved. The Board was not so concerned with the type of shotgun but the shotgun itself. I am happy to report that the Board provided little to no resistance on said capital acquisition and stated that if I want to get it then I should. I am married to a really sweet Board.(heeheehee)

:D:koolaid::):koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid::koolaid: