WWB finally went up...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I will only be shooting .22's and .45's and .38/.357 now. Can still shoot .22's for about 3 cents a round and I can roll .45's and .357's for about a dime each. No way am I going to pay that wwb price for 9mm or near .25 cents each for .40's. I guess I could start loading 9's one day soon.

Boom, you get you reloader set up yet?

Looks like I ought to start reloading too... at least I'll be able to use the same projectiles for 9mm and .357sig (maybe even .38spl too, if I use 130gr .356" FP bullets?).

1000rd of Georgia Arms 115gr 'Canned Heat' is $194 shipped. That's $19.40 per 100...

WalMart out by Gallaher View on the west side had them at the new high price.

I stopped by there during lunch time just on the hopes that they still had old ones.

Screw em', bought some .22's instead.

If I did not carry the 9mm I would try to sell it.

If my .40 was not a Hi-Point I would try to sell that too, lol. Would not get enough to make it worthwhile. Better to keep it in case I need to throw it at someone.

I figure that by the time you buy the necessary equipment, it'll cost as much as a case of ammo... and by the time you load a few thousand rounds, you'll break even.

The advantage, I've heard, is that you end up shooting a whole lot more on the same budget.

I figure that by the time you buy the necessary equipment, it'll cost as much as a case of ammo... and by the time you load a few thousand rounds, you'll break even.

The advantage, I've heard, is that you end up shooting a whole lot more on the same budget.

You're right. For the first year and probably 3-5,000 rounds, you'll probably break even depending on what you shoot. If you just shoot 9mm and 38 spcl, it'll take forever to make headway. It's a different story when you get to the magnums like 357 and 44. A box of 50 rds of 44 mag is over $25 just about everywhere. I can make premium jacketed rounds for less than $10 box. 1,000 rounds saves me about $300, which is more than I've invested in my press and ALL my dies!

It's also a lot of fun to make your own ammo from wild to mild, etc.

If you get into reloading just to save money, forget it. Also, I think most people will be disappointed and maybe get frustrated and quit if all they ever use is the little Lee loader tool. Yea, so it's $25... it's also a lot more work and VERY slow, and possibly a little dangerous... (see JamesMB's experience. I have no idea how he popped so many primers!) Just spend a little more and get the Lee Challenger press deal that comes with the full reloading book/manual for like $35. Another $25 for the deluxe die set in caliber of your choice, and $18 for a hand primer and $10 for the hand primer shellholder kit. Then choose between a dipper set and a powder measure. Everything but powder and primers for $100.

Rant on: :shrug: Above all, READ A COMPLETE INTSRUCTION MANUAL FIRST!! I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard people who can't figure out what they're doing wrong in reloading because they NEVER READ A MANUAL!! DUH! READ THE FREAKIN' BOOK, DOOFUS!! You're working with charges of propellants fully capable of killing you for making a mistake. If you don't think your life is worth a little research and study, fine, I just don't want to hear about it.;) rant off.

Thanks for letting me get that out of my system! :D

Edited by musicman
Guest harbinger

Yeah, I cringed a bit when I bought some ammo yesterday. When I first got into shooting, a 100 round box of .45 ammo was $20.00.

My reloader will be up and running (frequently) very soon.

Guest DrBoomBoom

I've been saving brass for nearly two years. Even though I only reload .45 and .38, I save as much as I can find that I've shot. In addition to a lot of .38 and .45, I've got coffee cans full of 9mm luger, 9mm mak, and I'm starting to build up .32 and .44 special. Pretty soon I'll be reloading it all.

One benefit with reloading, you can buy small quantities of higher quality ammo to refresh the brass cache and screw Walmart.

Guest jackdog

The more I think of it reloading looks better and better to me. So is lee the best wat to go in regards to equipment. One thing for sure ammo prices are not going to be going down anymore than gasoline will.

Guest harbinger

I've never used a Lee or Hornady, so I can't comment on their quality. I have used a few of the Dillon models and an RCBS single stage.

Dillons are top notch. I bought a 550, and it is very stable. The money up front is a bit more, but I'd rather pay the extra and get good quality than have to deal with fixing or replacing it later.

If you know somebody with a reloader of any kind see if you can get with them and see how it works. Barring that, there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing reloading.

Hmm. I guess I'll go see if the local Wal Mart still has 9mm at the old price.

There's a reason the last 3 guns I've acquired have been .22's, and the next one I'm contemplating is as well. Next I suppose I should get into reloading. Ideally I'd like to find someone local I could talk/bribe into showing me the ropes with a basic setup to load .38/.357, .45, and maybe even 9mm.

Our local WM went up too. I paid $18.50 for a 100 box of 9mm, and <choke> $30 for a 100 box 0f .380 for my wife's gun. Instead of reloading, I'm just going to get my wife a 9mm. That'll cut my ammo costs in half.

On that note, can somebody please tell me why .380 is so darn expensive? It's got less powder and lead than my 9mm's, but costs waaay more. I know they aren't as common and that makes the cost go up some. But nearly double?

I've also been wondering is there anything cheaper than 9mm, but got more kick than a .22?

The more I think of it reloading looks better and better to me. So is lee the best wat to go in regards to equipment. One thing for sure ammo prices are not going to be going down anymore than gasoline will.

I think that Lee stuff is the most COST EFFECTIVE way to get into reloading. I would advise against the "Lee Loader" tool, and suggest spending $90-100 on the deluxe turret press. I agree that Dillon is top of the line, yadda yadda yadda, but I don't have $500 to shell out, plus hundreds more for accessories. Before anything else, get a manual and read up about the process.

I've also been wondering is there anything cheaper than 9mm, but got more kick than a .22?

CZ-52. http://www.makarov.com/cz52/

and ammo http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/ammo-for-handguns/7-62x25-30-tokarev/p/7-62x25-bulgarian-fmj%2C-800-rounds-/cPath/25_28/products_id/1529 for 10 cents a round! This stuff is corrosive, but it's no big deal. Jst clean your guns properly and quickly after coming home from the range!

I use my Lee Progressive to reload 9mm and my Lee single stage for .223. I beg to differ that reloading 9mm isnt cost efficient. I've never bought brass for my 9mm reloads as no one at the range reloads that cartridge and i get all of their brass. I reload for about 11 bucks for 100 of them. Granted, not everyone has access to free brass but still!

A note on the lee progressive... its a very good system once you get it worn in. The primer system is the weakest link in the entire setup though. :-\

Guest TN.Frank

Wife went to Wal-Mart this a.m. to do her shopping and I wanted her to pick up a box of Winchester White in 38spl for me to plink with tomorrow. The lady at the counter tried to tell her that WWB 38spl, 130gr FMJ was $30/100. She has to be reading the price wrong or something. It should be more like $16-18/100. I wish they'd hire compent people to work sporting goods. :tinfoil:

Guest TN.Frank

I think the "rifle or pistol" deal has to do with being proper age for the ammo. You can buy rifle ammo at 18yrs old but to buy handgun ammo you're suppose to be 21yrs old. There are 40S&W carbines on the market so it could have been for a rifle, LOL.

I just checked a few web sites, looks like 38spl is around $14-$16/50 now days, dang, what happend to the $8-$10 buck a box stuff. Guess I should be glad I reload. Looks like Midway U.S.A. will be getting a brass order from me in the very near future. I'll start casting up some bullets to load up. That should bring my cost to about $5 bucks a box including the new brass. Ammo prices have gone sky frickin' high. :tinfoil: