what do you see here??

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest Ron E

Unless the photos are not clear, I see nothing abnormal .Most new guns are dirty from the mfg process or test firing. It could have been handled, at the store, (dry fired, slide racked ). I would just clean it and shoot it. Then decide if its ok or not.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

The rifling looks okay to me. that looks like tool marks from the rifling, but I don't see a

problem. It looks new to me, just dirty. Did you notice the barrel external wear after a few

shots? That appears normal to me, also, unless it was a Glock and it ain't.

Guest rebeldrummer
The rifling looks okay to me. that looks like tool marks from the rifling, but I don't see a

problem. It looks new to me, just dirty. Did you notice the barrel external wear after a few

shots? That appears normal to me, also, unless it was a Glock and it ain't.

no shot have been fired from me, only the initial factory test shots.

as it is the outside of the barrel I am not worried about that part as much.

the dirt?? who cares...that can be cleaned.

Basically I was worried about what appears to be a gouge in the raised part of the groove itself (as seen in one of the pics)

I was also worried that I bought a gun at "NEW GUN" price when possibly it should have been "USED, LIKE NEW GUN" price??

Can you post pictures of the inside of the slide?

Specifically in front of the ejection port and the opening for the barrel at the front of the slide. One more area to look at would be the breech face.

The only thing that makes it seem like it has some rounds through it is the front of the barrel. Not sure where you bought it but there are some shops that let potential customers rent guns before purchase. Perhaps this was one that had been rented a few times but because it has never left the dealer it was consdiered, by them, to still be new.

Dolomite

reb:_____________

Looks like white lithium grease on the exterior of the barrel (...the stuff in the machining grooves on the barrel exterior...) and a bit of fouling in the barrel. Clean it up with some bore solvent and put some moisture displacing lube on it and see how it looks then. My guess is that the white grease was from the initial assembly and the powder fouling is from the proof firing (...i think they all get fired to verify headspace....). What you see as "gouges" in the barrel grooves aint gouges (...i think...). They are just flecks of unburned powder. The "residue" or "smears" at the back may be a bit of lead fouling from a real good lead bullet proof round.

leroy

Guest rebeldrummer

Ok, let me clarify......the dirt was not the main issue.

What looked to be a gouge in the land was the issue.

Took it to shop and they saw it too. We cleaned it up real good and it was still there.

They said to them it appeared to be tooling marks and advised to shoot and see if there are any problems

And if so they will refund and exchange. Good guys they are.

Thanks for all the input

Sounds like a great shop.

You need to mention their name so they can get the business they deserve.

I was going to mention polishing/lapping the bore if you ran out of options. I had a Taurus with a very rough bore, after the treatment the velocity increased and cleaning was much quicker. It took 30-45 minutes to complete and is hard to mess up. Since then I have done it to a few others and in all cases it made the bore easier to clean.

Dolomite

Guest 6.8 AR

And I wasn't criricizing. That gouge in the grooves looks funny, but you will see it in

a lot of guns. The tooling causes that, most of the time, and one right off the next line

will look different because it went through a different set of tools. It sounds like the

dealer is doing you right if turns out to be a problem.