Finally grabbed a Mosin

IMG_1398.jpg

I probably paid a bit much, at $200, but the m44 carbines aren't as plentiful as they once were, and this one looks like new. It is stamped 1944, and has the triangle with an arrow inside it. I see the bore brush is missing from the tool kit, but it appears everything else is here and like new. I can't wait to shoot it. I asked the guy who I bought it from if the recoil was bad. He said he didn't notice it much, "but it sure is loud!!!":D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll love it. THe triangle/arrow means it was manufactured at the "Tula" plant in Russia. (correct if i'm wrong gents) I love my mosin. Best deal for the money for sure. In regards to recoil, shoot it standing first to absorb the recoil. Bench rest shooting does get painful after a while. The metal buttplate doesn't help. I imagine it doesn't kick any more than a 30-06 deer rifle. But 15-20 rounds does leave a mark while shooting at the bench. Loud .....? you'll get a few looks from your neighbors at the range. have fun...

Guest Aces&8s

Triangle/arrow is an Izhevsk, a star/arrow is for Tula.

Great buy... like you said, the M44s are getting hard to come by (I am still looking for one, myself). You will love it, especially the first time you shoot it after the sun goes down, and you see it belch fire like a dragon!

Check out 7.62x54r.net for a lot of great info on Mosins.

Guest buttonhook
Congrats! In my experience it shoots better with the bayonet extended. Don't know why, YMMV.

becuase the russin designed all of their guns to be used with the bayonett "on" at all times

i just sold a 1948 m44 that was in unissued shape ,i got $250 out of it.

That makes me feel a bit better about the price.

i like my k98's better but i do have some hex's in the safe.

The Mosin certainly doesn't hold a candle to the quality and strength of a Mauser actioned rifle. Few others do.

Very nice looking Mosin. I don't think you did bad on the price, either. I sold my M44 about a year ago for $250 when I needed the cash. Even though I got much more out of it than I paid for it, I still regret letting it go. I've been keeping my eyes open for another.

I probably paid a bit much, at $200, but the m44 carbines aren't as plentiful as they once were, and this one looks like new. It is stamped 1944, and has the triangle with an arrow inside it. I see the bore brush is missing from the tool kit, but it appears everything else is here and like new. I can't wait to shoot it. I asked the guy who I bought it from if the recoil was bad. He said he didn't notice it much, "but it sure is loud!!!":D

What's cool about the M-44s is the fireball from the muzzel when you shoot them. From what I have heard and believe is true is that because of their shorter barrel not all of the powder burns inside the barrel like the 91-30s and some is still igniting after the bullet leaves the barrel. Shoot it in low light. I have a Polish 1952 made M-44 in beautiful shape.

Also, most of the surpluse ammo has corrosive primers so be sure to clean it well with a good solvent the same day you shoot it. I clean mine before I leave the range. And, clean it well before the first time you shoot it and really scrub the chamber, it was stored with cosmoline and emptys will be very hard to eject if there's the slightest bit of cosmo in the chamber. That's been true for every Mosin I've ever had. I take a nylon bore brush for a 20guage and one section of cleaning rod, put in in my drill, soak it with solvent and go to town in the chamber. There are several good YOUTUBE videos, just search cleaning the chamber of the Mosin Nagant. I personally choose to use a nylon brush because of using a drill but some say a brass brush is fine. That does solve the sticky ejection problem in my experience with Mosins.

Have fun with your Mosin Nagant. :)

To give you an idea of Fireball with M44. Here is mine (and Brents) :) M44 at an indoor range in Ohio.

It was awesome. I took my K31 and the M44 and the people next to me freaked out when I shot this the 1st time. This is my brother in-law shooting in this pic.

M44_Fireball.jpg

To give you an idea of Fireball with M44. Here is mine (and Brents) :) M44 at an indoor range in Ohio.

It was awesome. I took my K31 and the M44 and the people next to me freaked out when I shot this the 1st time. This is my brother in-law shooting in this pic.

M44_Fireball.jpg

That's a rifle/flame thrower combo.

Years ago I gave my nefew a Finn Mosin and got him addicted, last Christmas he gave me a 91-30 to go with my M-44. We shoot about 200 rounds of 7.62x54R every 2 months, he has I think 8 Mosin Nagant rifles now, Finns, sniper 91-30, M-38, M-44, Tula's, Ivacantspellit's, ect, and just recently a Nagant revolver. We shoot so many rounds out of them I made us slip on recoil pads(not a perminent modification). The pad itself is made of foam pipe insulation covered with thin leather and is the most comfortable i've ever used. The pad I made for him is nicer looking than this one but they are functional.

Firstpad.jpg

The pad I made for him. I like the buckle better than the lace.

Mosinrecoilpad7.jpg

Edited by K191145
Guest HCRoadie
This was 100 yards w/ the M44 after I installed the Mojo sight.

1DSCN7559.JPG

This, and your previous pic, is gone. I'd love to see the fire ball, and the grouping. I just put a mojo on one of my Mosins and am very excited to see how things will develope.

• 2 weeks later...

I shot it today. It shoots great, although I don't have pictures. I'm delighted to find that it shoots to the point of aim with or without the bayonet extended. I bought some no name commercial ammo at Guns And Leather that is non corrosive, and it turns out it shoots great. At nine dollars and change per box, I''m going back for more.