AK homebuilt

bajabuc

Ok...I've been reading and reading and...well. you get the idea. What's TN law on building an AK sheet frame and putting together a parts AK? I just got done looking at a website that explained it really well and it actually looks like fun.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing in TN law preventing you from doing it. Just don't drill the extra hole that would violate the National Firearms Act. Most people recommend that you mark it with your name or initials and a serial number. Even though the law does not require an individual making a firearm for his own use to do that, it helps when you don't confuse the cops.

Anyone can build a pistol, rifle or shotgun as long as they are legally allowed to possess the finished gun. There is no legal requirement for you to put a serial number on a home built firearm either but I would recommend it to keep LE happy. Other than that build away and have fun.

The only concern is the 922r compliance issues but if the receiver is American made I don't think it is an issue.

Dolomite

And just to reiterate. A GCA (not NFA) firearm that is not made by a licensed manufacturer is not required to have a serial number. And up until 1968 serial numbers were not required by manufacturers. It is not against the law to make a firearm without a serial number. It is against the law to obliterate or make unledgible a serial number once it has been applied to a firearm.

If you build the gun yourself you do not need to assign a serial number. A FFL can accept a firearm without a serial number providing the firearm never had one.

Seems there is a local FFL that does not know this. No I am not going to tell but I will not spend any money there and will wave off all my friends from spending there money there. Seems like FFL's would know the law but some don't and it will cost them business.

Dolomite

Do you have to register a homebuilt gun in any way?

No as long as it falls under the GCA of 1968. Basically if it is a normal rifle, pistol or shotgun then there are no regulatory requirement to register it. And as I said before there is no legal requirement to affix a serial number to a homebuilt gun. But if you do assign a serial number it is illegal to remove it.

This is the reason why you see 80% receivers for sale. They are generally more expensive than a registered receiver. It is the price you pay to own an unregistered firearm.

If it falls under NFA then you do need to register it. Actually you need to get approval before building a NFA items, gun or otherwise.

Dolomite

If it falls under NFA then you do need to register it. Actually you need to get approval before building a NFA items, gun or otherwise.

Ahh, thanks - that's the part I was mis-remembering...

My Egyptian/NDS build

1290458404.jpg

Egyptian parts kit, NDS receiver (1 US part), Romanian virgin barrel, Tapco flash hider, trigger and grip (5 US parts)

It's not too hard, just teedious. The startup cost of tools and materials isn't worth it for just a one time use. I used a NoDak Spud receiver. I looked into folding a flat but the heat treating and welding wasn't worth the satisfaction of DIY vs the cost of tooling I didn't already own.

ETA: Pre made recievers make it so much easier to assemble and may (or not) affect resale value.

Edited by LA_357SIG

I was heavy into the AK for a long time. Built all mine. Then, I built my first AR. I can't even remember who I sold all my AK stuff to.

As far as parts kits? The AK hayday is long passed. If you shop hard, you can find a deal, but it'll never be what it was before.