Let's talk 308.

So, I've been loading for 308 for many moons now. IMHO it's the best cartridge ever invented. It's not particularly the best for anything, but it certainly does everything the best. For all of it's shortcomings, you can say a couple of things.[a couple of very important things!] It'll hit 95% of anything you can see here in TN. There are few places I have seen on power line right of ways that give clear line of sight for over 1000 yards, but for those of us who are actually realistic about distances, it'll hit it. AND, What you hit tends to stay down. I've heard this from a Vietnam vet that was issued an M14 and then had to switch to the M16. So saith him, "A 7,62 to the chest and they stop shooting back...for good." Hope I'm never in the position to find that out.

Anywho, blabbing all done, I've loaded every kind of FMJ commonly available. I have also done quite a bit of work with cast bullets as well. I've never delved into the world of premium/performance type bullets. That is about to change. The platform is a 20 inch barrel, 1:10 twist bolt action. With the 1:10 I can step up to the heavier (my preference anyway:up:) weights. I don't have a clear cut agenda for it and I know that makes it difficult to give an opinion on, sorry. I don't hunt, but I have considered taking a deer this fall. Let's just label it for long distance Zombie dispatching. I've come up with two candidates that fit pretty well, but I'm wide open to any suggestions cause I have yet to start developing a load for it. My two choices are Hornady's 178g Amax or Nosler's 180g Ballistic tip. Both offer good performance (so I've read:rolleyes:) at a price that is well... tolerable, not cheap, but tolerable.

Thoughts and wisdom, PLEASE.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agee with you about the 308 being a great round. I have loaded for it for awhile now and from everything i've found 168grn is optimum unless you plan on shooting 1000 yds. you need the heavier 178's to keep the bullet stable at that range. you should send Froggyone2 a message he is a 1000yd palma match shooter who knows his stuff for more technical data.

1000 yards may as well be a 1000 miles for me. That's why I made the comment about being realistic about distances. I can all but give you an iron clad guarantee that I will never shoot anything past 500.

So, 168's do better in your opinion. Check. Hornady loads both Match grade 168g Amax and 168g TAP. I think before I invest in anything I may just drop a dime on a few boxes of factory stuff and see how they fly for me. If that bodes well, I'll have a solid starting point.

Personally I tend to like Hornady's products. Perhaps I will buy a few boxes of differing weights in their factory stuff and see what weight works best for me. Worst case, I'm out a C note and a day of shooting. I'd rather be doing that then a day working to make the money!

Thanks TNrifleman.

175 sierras wjth rl15 or imr4064 very hard to beat

I ain't against the sierra match king, I know they are really accurate, but I'd like something a little more than a standard hollow point. I had some Lake City stuff years ago that was loaded with HPBT bullets. They were blisteringly accurate. They didn't do much better than a FMJ when they hit. I fired some into some wet yellow pages and they just smoked through. If there was any expansion, I couldn't tell.

I have tested some tap ammo in 223 it is suppose to expand rapidly to reduce over penetration but it was realy unreliable. For a hunting bullet the barnes x bullet would probley be excellent. I shot a buck at around 120yds out of a 20'' savage 10fp with winchester 168 silver tip and it just exploded when it hit him. If it hadnt dropped him in his tracks i wouldnt have been able to find him there was no blood no exit wound so i dont use those anymore. For the price I loaded up some hornady sst bullets they look like tap rounds with the red tip but they are a sturdier built bullet. The partition bullets are also good sturdy rounds. The cheapest good sturdy bullets are good ole remington core locks.

Guest sneakboxer

I haven't been loading for long but my 1 in 10 22in 308 really likes reloader 15 and 165 nosler BTs and 168 Amaxes. I'm using 44.5gr with the BT and still fine tuning the amax but 44.0 to 45.0 looks promising. Zombies and deer fall hard to the ballistic tip. Surprisingly 150gr hornady 30-30 interlock bullets shoot pretty good (.5moa) for cheap.

i have used sierra vld 210 grain bullets some but they take up lots of powder space

most of my 308 loads are 168 or 175 grain sierras or noslers with imr 4064 in bolt guns aa2520 in gas guns

for me either load in any of my rifles works better than i can see anymore

for me either load in any of my rifles works better than i can see anymore

TOO FUNNY AND TOO RIGHT!!

Am I the only one who gets a new rifle with high accuracy potential and starts going through the same motions over and over? Have to find the perfect combo of ingredients. Then, usually half way into it, I realize I'm not that good of a shot, I can't see as well I used to, and it's all been for naught. Makes you wanna say heck with it and just pick what makes you happy. Seriously, I have a 250-300 yard max distance where I shoot. Unless you are a true gumby, virtually any load put together with care and quality parts will hit what I am capable of hitting at those ranges.....kinda embarrassing if it is the truth of it.:-\

Edited by Caster
Guest TnValleyBulletman

For hunting I use some of the lifetime supply of Winchester silvertips I have squirreled away. For accuracy where I am not trying to extract blood from the target I use Sierra MK 168's

Does anyone shoot the 168g Hornady TAP? What bullet is that loaded with, an A Max? Looks like it. While I'm asking, has anyone ever tried the Moly coated Amax?

Last time I looked at their website to get more info, TAP is loaded with a few different ones depending on the application. I just bought a box of FPD last weekend to try out.

I use

Nosler brass

168 A-Max

44 gr of RE 15

V = 2670

Savage 20" barrel

For Subsonic hunting

Winchester brass

225 Outlaw State Bullets

11.6 gr of Trail Boss

I've shot the A-Max load out to 1000 yds and use it for my 308 supersonic hunting load. It expands well in wet news print.

Socom011.jpg

Last time I looked at their website to get more info, TAP is loaded with a few different ones depending on the application. I just bought a box of FPD last weekend to try out.

Do tell how you like it, when you shoot it. Save one round for some wet newspapers or a phone book if it's not too much trouble.

Alleycat, that's pretty close to what I figure I will go with.

I bought a few 50 round boxes of virgin Hornady match brass and some Federal Match primers. I'll likely stick with AA 2520. I've had far too much good fortune with it to turn now.

H380 has always been a good powder with a 168. I have never had one not shoot with it, but R15 gets top velocities out of the 308. I love the gun. It shoots so good its stupid. I did some video work last hunting season with it. Both super and sub. I’m testing some bullets for a bullet manufacture this weekend so I’ll send a 168 A-Max in and get some pics up for you.

168 A-Max

Velocity @ 10 foot = 2653

Velocity @ impact = 2494.9

Retained weight = 78.9

Penatration = 12.8" + 30% on live game

Max Diameter = 0.697

Test3-19-11024.jpg

Test3-19-11023.jpg

Test3-19-11022.jpg

Test3-19-11021.jpg

Expansion starts at about 2 inches. Max damage is from 3 to 9 inches. This bullet is devastating on deer. Most bullets I recovered are just under the skin on the off side.