Does it count as OC?

Guest nosnos

Guest nosnos

Went to Kroger by my house last night and decided to try my hand at the open carry thing...

On my way through the parking lot I was overcome with nervousness, and flipped my shirt over the grip. Still WAY more obviously and openly than I've ever carried, but does it count?

Do the rules of open carry require the entire pistol to be in plain sight?

--------

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nosnos

I don't think anybody really noticed. I'm usually a deep-concealment guy. I'll have to try the real deal someday. Maybe today... :)

--------

I have a Don Hume holster with a belt clip. I will often wear it between my belt and pants, so it's pretty obvious. There have been several times when I've needed to wear my gun to work and have just sort of forgotten it's there when I've stopped to do an errand on the way home. Now granted it's a Kahr CW 40, but still... I've only had one comment where someone noticed it.

I don't think anybody really noticed. I'm usually a deep-concealment guy. I'll have to try the real deal someday. Maybe today... :)

--------

If you are not completely comfortable with open carry then I wouldn't do it. If you look nervous then you are going to make others nervous. It's all about how you present yourself. If you act like you are not doing anything wrong and just go about your normal business then you will be surprised how many people don't notice or don't care.

If it is not in the open then it is not openly carried. You were casually concealed which is how I suspect an awful of of us carry.

And I doubt it was as obvious as you thought.

I suspect you are right. I am currently by that description more causally concealed but working on my deep conceal.

I almost have my 3 inch barrel with 3 inch chamber Judge in Deep Conceal. Later if I can get my wife to take the pictures I might post some pictures.

However, it is not my EDC by any means.

I didn't even know there were rules to OC. :)

Of course in states where OC without a permit is legal and CC is not...then yes, if I didn't have a permit, I'd be concerned about what legally considered OC.

I also agree if you OC you should be very comfortable with it.

I really don't OC, but have no problems with those that do. Also IMO, improper CC can cause more attention/trouble than OC.

Guest nosnos

I didn't feel totally comfortable, which is why I flipped my shirt over it. I wasn't creeping around, being all jumpy and shifty-eyed... ha ha...

If you don't think there are rules about what OC is, think again. In gun-nut culture there are accepted rules about everything!

--------

I'm one of the casual concealers. I keep my shirt untucked pulled over the butt of the gun, but I'm not "hiding" or "concealing" anything. Any observant individual would know I was carrying. However its my opinion that the general public just doesn't pay attention. The only time anyone has ever said anything about me carrying was the cop in line for coffee with me one morning. No one else that day or any other day paid any attention.

I am going to make this optional downloads.

This is my fat ass so you have been warned.

I like my Taurus Judge 3 inch barrel with 3 inch chamber, but it is mostly my home defense, truck and fun at the range gun.

I do not normally carry this. However I want the option. At least when I am I going to the range and I might stop along the way.

The first is just letting my shirt hide it. The second I just pull my shirt up to show it is there.

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/vontar/judge1.jpg

http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac244/vontar/Judge2.jpg

The day I got this holster and was trying it out. I went out for a drive with it and stopped in a gun store to pic up some ammo. Stood there talking to the guy and a LEO for about 20 minutes. As I was about to leave I told the guy that I brought the Judge from BTW, I found a way to carry my judge he he said yea? I kind let on to him and then he noticed it printing. It does print but you almost have to be looking for it to notice it.

Edited by vontar
I'm one of the casual concealers. I keep my shirt untucked pulled over the butt of the gun, but I'm not "hiding" or "concealing" anything. Any observant individual would know I was carrying. However its my opinion that the general public just doesn't pay attention. The only time anyone has ever said anything about me carrying was the cop in line for coffee with me one morning. No one else that day or any other day paid any attention.

so what did he say? I've noticed a few guys who I think were carrying concealed but I'll never know for sure. But I only noticed because they seemed to fit the profile based on their appearance and once I looked closer I could see what I thought was a gun printing.

I saw a guy in West Town Mall OC and I swear I was the only person that seemed to notice. The mall was packed! It's amazing how the general public lives in condition white

Guest Eagle One

Thursday me and my Granddaughter left West Tennessee headed for Virginia to return her to college. She came to visit for her spring break. When I travel to another state I go on line and print a copy of their laws concerning handgun carry and how they view Tennessee handgun carry laws. Virginia has a signed agreement with TN. Virginia is an opencarry state so when it was cool out I wore a Carhart vest that covered my gun and when it was warm I left the vest in the Jeep so most of the time I was carrying open. We spent Thursday night in a hotel about 50 miles into Virginia and in the morning we were walking down the hall and a Virginia State Trooper of high rank was walking down the hall behind us and he got into the elevator with us and I know he saw my gun because I saw him look at it. He did not even mention it and I think he may have been the only person on our entire trip that even noticed that I was carrying. The only time I removed my gun was when we ate in a restaurant that had a full bar.

The day I got this holster and was trying it out. I went out for a drive with it and stopped in a gun store to pic up some ammo. Stood there talking to the guy and a LEO for about 20 minutes. As I was about to leave I told the guy that I brought the Judge from BTW, I found a way to carry my judge he he said yea? I kind let on to him and then he noticed it printing. It does print but you almost have to be looking for it to notice it.

Keeping something from printing is overrated. My buddy and I were talking about this the other day. I carry a Ruger p345, and he is going to be carrying a S&W MP45. He just took his class, but he is worried about what holster to get to keep something from printing. Very, very few people in the general public will ever make the jump from having a bump in your shirt to you wearing a gun. Especially with the laws in this state, I do not think twice about trying to keep something from printing.

.... The only time I removed my gun was when we ate in a restaurant that had a full bar.

No need to do that in VA anymore. I think the owner can still post the property though.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest friesepferd

I guess what is the question here? As far as I know, there is no CC vs OC in TN. We just have a handgun carry permit.

Are there some special laws reguarding OC that I don't know about?

Guest friesepferd

k. didnt think so.

so OC if ya wanna OC, deap conceal if you wanna deap conceal, throw on a shirt and print some if ya wanna do that! no worries.

Guest nosnos

Okay, for the record, I'm not referring to "rules" in terms of laws or anything like that.

Maybe customs would have been a better word than rules. Sorry for any confusion. I was just wondering if an OWB holster with a shirt flipped over it is open carry, according to the unwritten customs of people referring to open carry. Or is it only considered open carry if the entire grip is visible?

From what I can gather, if the gun is not visible in all it's glory, it's not open carry. Fair enough?

Again, I'm asking about the CUSTOM of open carry, not specific laws or anything. I know it doesn't matter one way or the other in TN. No HCP, no carry. HCP = carry however (open or concealed)

--------

Okay, for the record, I'm not referring to "rules" in terms of laws or anything like that.

Maybe customs would have been a better word than rules. Sorry for any confusion. I was just wondering if an OWB holster with a shirt flipped over it is open carry, according to the unwritten customs of people referring to open carry. Or is it only considered open carry if the entire grip is visible?

From what I can gather, if the gun is not visible in all it's glory, it's not open carry. Fair enough?

Again, I'm asking about the CUSTOM of open carry, not specific laws or anything. I know it doesn't matter one way or the other in TN. No HCP, no carry. HCP = carry however (open or concealed)

--------

I think you have it...

If it is covered (even OWB w/ cover garment) it's not really considered OC.

Guest rebeldrummer

i think that all of us that carry are really the only ones who even realize that we are??? and its because the dag thing is on our hip!! even my wife at times doesnt realize i am carrying?? i do pt security work where I am not required to wear a uniform, just plain clothes, and I open carry there and I have only had 1 person say something (in 4 years!!!). LEO's have never said anything, and I know that have seen it.

Many of my shirts print a little bit, especially if i wear the +1 mag ext on my G27, and still no one seems to notice.

I believe that most people just think its a cell phone ?? If they even notice...

Just my 2 cents...

Guest rsgillmd

When people look at you they usually look at you from the front, not the back. Also they are usually looking at your face, not down at your waist. I think if you wear it at 4-5 o'clock most people probably won't notice a gun because the combination of these two factors.

Guest friesepferd

okay. again i still think this is worded in a way that makes me go 'huh', so let me explain my stance...

For those of us that carry, we tend to have an idea of open vs concealed in our mind. I doubt the 'rest of the world' does.

How people react to you carrying is going to differ a LOT between people.

Some people wont care one bit if you carry completely openly.

Some people will freak out of they think they see the slight print of a gun under all your clothes.

Some people may be find with seeing an obvious print and knowing what it is, but wouldnt be fine if you were carrying openly.

The list goes on and on. What you need to decide is simply what you are comfortable with.

Do you never ever want anyone to notice that you are carrying? (then deep conceal)

Do you not care at all if everyone sees? (then open carry)

Do you generally want to be carrying concealed, but dont really mind if a fellow gun person notices? (then throw a shirt on over it and dont worry about it)

Anyways, I'm sure you get the point. The real question you problem have is 'do you think someone would have noticed me carrying?'

And that I can't really answer without some more details as to how you were carrying and a picture.

Most likely the answer is that its very unlikely for someone to notice you carrying in that manor, but its very possible a fellow carry-er would have picked you out right away.