Looking to add an AR15 & AK To The Arsenal! Noobie Help!

xRUSTYx

I agree with the M&P line. Might be best bang for buck, out of box. Now, I'd caution about the OR (optics ready) model: ahem...there are no optics on it. If you want to put flip-ups on it, do not get Magpuls. You might be tempted to mount the front on the gas block, and the Magpul plastic might not like it over time. Also, you will end up wanting a quad rail of some kind. The OR has a basic foreend, no picatinny. I'd go with an impingment model that has the quad rail foreend already on it, flat top of course. Not sure, that might be the "T" model.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maelphaedor
Just picked up a Daniel Defense AR :snore: Decided to go big & not go home :D

You know the rules... Pics or it didn't happen. :) Show it off man!

Guest zeddicus

have you heard of doublestar corp. out of kentucky. i bought a doublestar ar15 at a local gunstore for around 700.00 dollars. did some research on the ar and found you can get them for around 650.00 out of the box. have had no problems from mine and they have pretty good reviews online.

For your first one get a Rock River. They are the most overlooked quality AR your money can buy.

I'd also recommend you consider RRA. I'm still a noob myself but my RRA works well for me. I would have gone the M&P route if I hadn't gone with RRA. I didn't want to spend a ton of money (because I'm more of a handgun guy and I kids/a business/and other hobbies), but I wanted quality.

Edited by JReedEsq
You know the rules... Pics or it didn't happen. ;) Show it off man!
That's right, pictures or someone might accuse you of buying a Lorcin.

Haha ... When she arrives, pics will be taken :)

have you heard of doublestar corp. out of kentucky. i bought a doublestar ar15 at a local gunstore for around 700.00 dollars. did some research on the ar and found you can get them for around 650.00 out of the box. have had no problems from mine and they have pretty good reviews online.

Interesting, may have to look in to these guys for the wife's AR :)

I'd also recommend you consider RRA. I'm still a noob myself but my RRA works well for me. I would have gone the M&P route if I hadn't gone with RRA. I didn't want to spend a ton of money (because I'm more of a handgun guy and I kids/a business/and other hobbies), but I wanted quality.

Yeah, still leaning towards an M&P for the wife ... we'll see how she likes the DD before I slap down more money on an M&P

On the AK front you can't go wrong with an Arsenal. As far as shotguns go, check out the Remington 887 Nitro Mag. Been playing with it in the store the last few days and it is NICE!

Yeah ... been going back and forth between the Moss 500 & Rem 870 .... That 887 looks pretty cool .... Will look more in to it.

You did well with the DD. They--along with Colt, Noveske, LMT, and LaRue--put out first-tier stuff, and they're actually priced better than some of the others I just mentioned. If you're still in the market for a second AR for the wife or whatever, I'd recommend the aforementioned S&W or RRA to save a few bucks. Can't go wrong with either, based on my experience.

As for your AK, another +1 for the Arsenal (converted Saiga). Prices have gone up recently, but they're still the best bang for the buck in the AK world, and frankly, I'm not sure it's even close.

The M&P OR model (Optics Ready) doesn't have a front post sight. It has a short rail where the front sight would go. That's the main difference between it and their standard flat top model as far as I can tell. It's ready for you to put on whatever sights you want. They simply offer it for customers who don't want the front post at all and are putting on their own front sight (like a Magpul flip up) or are going with optics only and no irons at all. I don't think I've ever seen Bud's take that one below it's current price of $799 and it's almost always the lowest priced M&P on there.

Picked up my Daniel Defense AR today! Plan to get pics tomorrow after I give her a thorough cleaning. Talk about gun grease .... The AR is soaked sitting in its plastic bag.

Any tips on cleaning all the grease off?

Arsenal's are nice but pricey.
Picked up my Daniel Defense AR today! Plan to get pics tomorrow after I give her a thorough cleaning. Talk about gun grease .... The AR is soaked sitting in its plastic bag.

Any tips on cleaning all the grease off?

You could probably just wipe it down and it should be good to go. Might wanna give it a break-in cleaning and lube to be safe though. Congratulations on an awesome gun. Let us know how it runs :-)

Yeah, was going to clean & lube everything on the interior, but the exterior literally has 10 ounces of liquid hanging off it :) haha ... so much so, it started leaking out of the plastic case.

will try a microfiber cloth & water, and go from there! Will definitely give a range report as well as the necessary pics ... maybe even the wife shooting it :screwy:

Guest TIMBER

Yugoslavian AK, FN FNP shotgun. They both work very well for me. I have to add that I'm a Rock River guy; hard to beat their 2-stage NM triggers.