Educate me, on Mosin Nagant before I buy one.

Since M1's are out of my price range and a co worker tells me good things about his Nagant I am considering getting one. The prices I am finding fit my budget.

However, tell me things to watch out for.

I am not looking for one to polish and put in a safe to only look at, I intend to shoot it so it has to be in good condition.

Is it hard to get ammo for them?

I have read about how important it is to clean them after use due to the corrosive primers.

I just got done reading about the one gregintenn got, very nice.

I don't have a C&R so I will have to have it shipped to a FFL unless I find one in a store to drive to.

So if you know any good places to buy them, online to have them shipped or stores here in TN to deal with let me know.

I may have a lead on one now, a guy ask me to follow up with him tomorrow that is expecting a few. Offering to hand pick me one. However, he is not certain if he will have them or not.

Edited by vontar
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been most pleased with rifles I have bought from aimsurplus.com and classicarms.us. The handpick fee is usually worth the extra $10. You need to make a decision on your preference of a hex or round receiver and the stock if a choice is available for laminated stock. The places that sell the rifles usually sell the ammo also.

In my experience with them:

First, they are tanks. Built like a bunker, will take a severe beating (or dish one out:devil:) and still shoot straight.

Second the action is strong but not what I would call smooth, but remember what it is, and it's not a Krag.:D

Third, ammo is still easy to get. Not as cheap as it once was, but nothing is. The cartridge is a darn good one though. It hits hard. It has the capability to hang in there with a 308 all day, ANY day. Only real problem is availability of reloading components. If you're not going to reload for it, don't worry about it. Most mil-surp ammo is going to be corrosive but Wolf imports some very nice stuff from the Balkans somewhere. Serbia or Croatia I can't remember. Wolf Gold.

Fourth, accuracy. I've had several and they all shot quite well. The M44's are going to be one of the loudest flame throwers you'll ever shoot. Yep, they're pretty sweet.:tough:. The longer barreled models will be where the best accuracy comes from. I've seen some pretty tight grouping from some of them. They can be impressive with the right ammo.

My advice get one with a nice clean bore and shoot as is. I don't have any of them anymore, I sold them off when I consolidated calibers a few years ago, but I do remember there's nothing better than the way they are. I'm not a purist who thinks modifying something is blasphemy, I just think 99% of the aftermarket Mosin products are crap.

Be sure the bore is clean, no pits and the bolt face is not pitted in a ring around the firing pin. Some coloring around the pin hole is okay, but if there's a lot of scorching or pitting, just pass and look at the next one. They're still plentiful and one of the best bargains out there for a good heavy duty bolt action. Hunt deer, bust rocks or take out Zombies, it'll do it.

Edited by Caster

I have seen Hex and round listed. I need someone to explain the different of this. I am probably going to feel really dumb after asking this question if the answer is something really simple that I am just over looking.

Keep in mind, I don't beleive I have ever held a Mosin.

Guest Revelator

Get a C&R license. Mosins tend to breed like rabitts, which means you'll want more, and the C&R license may be the last bastion of cheap, good-quality gun buying in America. Finnish Mosins are considered the best but they're north of $200 (still ridiculously cheap in my opinion). Spend time at 7.62x54r.net. That's where all the Mosin fiends congregate and you can learn a lot.

By the way I have an M44 coming today from gunsnammo.com.

Guest Broomhead

As was said, the hex receivers are earlier production (usually pre-WWII, IIRC) and are generally regarded as better quality. During the WWII, the Russians were trying to produce as many rifles as fast and inexpensive as possible. They found ways to cut corners without decreasing safety. The round receiver was easier and cheaper to produce.

The 91/30 is the most plentiful (longest with removable bayonet), with the M44 next in line (shorter barrel with fold-out bayonet), followed by the M38s (basically a cut down 91/30 without a bayonet).

The M38, to me, seems to be the loudest and breathes the most fire. The M44 was designed to be shot with the bayonet extended for better accuracy. The 91/30 was also designed to be fired with the bayonet attached for the same reason.

Try to get one, any model, with matching serial numbers on the bolt, receiver, mag plate on the bottom, butt plate, and the bayonet (doubtful on the last one). The bolt and receiver are the important ones, but the more matches the better. Getting a matching receiver and bolt will usually rule out any chances of head-space problems. Be aware that some are force matched, meaning they take an electro-pencil and cross out the original number and "engrave" a matching number on a part. They're not any less usable, but are lower on the collector's list. If the bolt and the receiver have non-matching or force matched numbers then you will need to check the head-space. A gunsmith familiar with Mosins can do it. If you plan on collecting Mosins then you can buy the gauges either as a three-piece set or individually. The set includes a Go, No Go, and Field gauge, you really only need the Field gauge.

As was mentioned, look at the bore and bolt face. When the rifle is UNLOADED, pull the bolt all the way to the rear and gently pull the trigger. The bolt will slide all the way out and allow you to look down the chamber and bore, you can also inspect the bolt face better. A shiny bore is good, but a "frosted" bore is just as accurate. Some pitting in the barrel, not the chamber, is also acceptable as far as accuracy is concerned. If you can, though doubtful you will be allowed to, remove the bands around the hand guard and the two screws holding the receiver to the stock. Then, inspect the underside of the receiver and barrel looking for any bad or excessive pitting, especially on the underside of the barrel, this is bad if it is severe, as it will weaken the barrel.

Being milsurps, they will almost always come caked with cosmoline, a substance that resembles axle grease and can be difficult to remove. On the metal parts you can use non-chlorinated brake cleaner to easily remove the cosmoline, or use boiling hot water and some elbow grease. For brake cleaner, spray all the pieces generously and wipe off with paper towels, repeat until paper towels remain clean. Be very careful not to get the brake cleaner anywhere on the stock as it will instantly remove the finish. Lastly, oil with your preferred lubricant. For boiling water, soak the small parts for a few minutes, and run the boiling water through the barrel several times, repeat until water comes out clean. After using the boiling water, spray everything with WD-40 to displace the water, then wipe everything clean and oil with your choice of lubricant.

Immediately after your range trip, before you have left the range, rinse the bolt face, firing pin hole, chamber, and the bore with ammonia-based glass cleaner. The ammonia neutralizes the corrosive salts from the primer/powder. After rinsing, wipe off excess glass cleaner, head to the house, and clean the same as you would any of your other guns. You can use WD-40 just before the usual cleaning to displace the glass cleaner, then clean and lubricate as you would any other gun. It is also a good idea to treat every type of 7.62x54r as if it were corrosive.

If you happen to find a 91/30 with two plugged holes on the inside of the left side of the receiver beside the where the magazine is, then buy it, don't hesitate. The holes are from where the Russians found an excellent shooting rifle and turned it into a PU sniper rifle. At the factory, where it was re-arsenaled, the scope mount was removed and the holes were plugged with bolts and then cut flush. The rifles will generally be more accurate than a standard 91/30. They are also more desirable.

I'll shut off the fire hose now. Most importantly, shoot the hell out of it and have a blast, literally.

Guest Aces&8s

The only thing I can add to what the others have said is that I bought a Classic Lee Loader (you know, the kind where you seat the bullet with a hammer :tough: ) in 7.62x54R, which allows me to work up my own loads. You can order brass from Graf & Sons. On my Mosin (a 1938 Tula 91/30 with all matching numbers and no counter-bore), I can get very good groups with handloads. Not sub-MOA, mind you, but very good groups for a 73 year old rifle.

P.S. I didn't have headspace gauges when I bought mine, and since the numbers matched, I wasn't too worried. Still, just in case, I loaded the magazine, threw a sandbag over the action, fired five rounds (with my eyes closed, like that would have helped :D ), checking the casings as I ejected them for signs of overpressure (there were none), then called it good :D

Bud's has them for 99.00 They won't last long.I bought one from them and I'm pleased with it.

BTW, since China Coaster is not online, which shop is he referring to. I tried to search but there are allot of shops that might be.

Charlies pawn on Kingston pike in Knoxville has a carbine in stock today for 200, it looks great and numbers match. Not the greatest price but it is in stock and local. I check them a lot and seen him work some good deals. You might be able to get tax, gun, and background for 200otd. I have a m44 already so don't need another. I know of a couple places in Johnson City that carry them and are cheap. I can't remember the names off the top of my head, if you are heading that way soon, let me know and I will find the names. I will be getting my 91/30 up there (less than 100otd)

I have a lead on one, not sure if all the numbers match, but it will have allot of the accessories including oil can and bayonet. I have to call the guy back tomorrow to see if they got them. If they do, he is going to hand select me one of the best one.

Guest Broomhead

Good luck, Vontar. You will definitely have a blast with one, regardless of which model. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to send a PM my way.

Also check out this place, it has a lot of good info:

7.62x54r.net

actually I went to my local FFL to check on a transfer and well, He also had a lead on one.

Having him order it for me.

Plus, he had something else in stock that caught my eye.

Hungarian Steyr, after I held it, I had to have it. He is holding it is his safe for him so I just have to pay tic's once.

So I am getting 2 Guns for the Price of 2.