G27 questions for carry

Hey everyone, first post and need some help on the G27. My eyeballs are basically bleeding from reading threads on the internet from some severely biased for or against Glock so it is hard to tell if I am getting a straight answer. Maybe I can get some honest opinions here.

I'm relatively new to guns and currently waiting on my carry permit (4 weeks, ugh).

I have been trying to decide between the G27 and XD40sc, I've shot both and really don't see too much of a difference. I own an XDm40 and absolutely love it but I don't have enough experience to be brand loyal yet. One of the tipping points for me was the ability of the G27 to be converted to 9mm or .357 by purchasing the barrels and magazines to fit. I haven't read where you can do that with the XD, if so, please let me know.

Ok, questions:

1. Are there problems that I haven't heard of down the road by fitting the G27 with a different barrel?

2. There isn't a tac rail on the G27 like the XD, for you owners of the G27 or G26 for that matter, do you wish you had one?

3. Is the Pearce extension a must have?

4. I'm thinking about a LaserMax laser as well, any thoughts on that with the G27? Can't find much about it with this gun.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've owned and carried both. Currently have the xd-40. It's apples and oranges. Go with what fits you best.

They are both top brand guns and can't go wrong with either.

My reason for switching was I had the extensions on the G27 so might as well go to a full size. I'm not much interested in lasers and such so not a problem with me about rails.

The XD just seemed a little smoothing shooting to me.

I feel if you stay with the G27, get the extensions.

I have a Glock 26 and a XD40sc - I tend to carry the Glock much more, mostly because it just feels better to me. I've never used the rail on my XD for anything, so I don't miss it on the baby Glock.

I have spent a lot of hours carrying the 26. Personally--i'd take the glock. Here's why:

1) Reliability. I fired a lot of rounds with the 26 and NEVER had any kind of misfire.

2) Aftermarket support: you won't have any problems finding holsters/goodies for the subcompact glock.

3) Accuracy--i'm sure they are comparable to some. To me, the glock shot much better than the Springer. My opinion --not fact!!

4) Regarding the rail--i think a defensive weapon should be very simple (i.e. plain) A lot of the stuff people hang on glocks/ar's/shotty's are more for looks than function. Sure, i like adding things to a few weapons i own (522, back up shotty, 10-22's) but i keep my carry weapons bone stock. No lights, lasers, bayonets, etc.

make a decision based on the feel of the weapon. Pick the one that feels the best to you. It should not needs a lot of aftermarket support outside of holsters if its going to be your daily carry.

Edited by Parrothead
I have several XDs. But if they didn't make them, I'd likely have several Glocks. And not be depressed about it or anything. :)

- OS

This. Exactly. Oh and I personally love the backstrap safety. Gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling when holstering/reholstering.

Edited by adamween

I carry a G27 and carried a G26 before that. I just can't get away from reliability. It all depends on what feels right for you. I would go to a local range and shoot some demos to figure out which one feels better. I was carrying a G23 and only purchased the 26 after test firing and realizing I didn't give up much on accuracy if any over the G23.

There are a couple of pluses to the Springfield: 1) grip safety, 2) loaded chamber indicator, 3) accessory rail, 4) new pistol comes with holster. Some complain that they feel top-heavy because the center of gravity is a little higher on them than the Glock. The Glock has some pluses as well: 1) simplicity, 2) plenty of aftermarket parts & accessories, 3) reliability, 4) customer service is excellent, 5) shorter trigger reset than the Springfield. When I owned a G27, I preferred the finger extension on it because shooting the .40 out of any small auto can be a handful. Both are as accurate as you are. Glock set the standard for polymer striker-fired pistols, and the Springfield, Walther PPS, and Sigma are adaptations (some say improvements over the Glock, others say not so much). Handle them, shoot them, then pick whichever you like better because you can't go wrong with either.

All that said, I carry a Walther PPS since it is a much more concealable model than either the Glock or Springfield.

As far as I am aware, there are no issues with the replacement barrels on the Glocks. I have one that I use in my G22 since you can't shoot reloads out of the Glock factory barrel because of the unsupported chamber. It was literally a drop-in fit with no issues with function or reliability. They can be obtained at reasonable prices. Take a look at www.glockmeister.com, Glock, Glock Accessories, Glock Handguns, Glock Barrels, Glock Parts, Glock Sights and Glock Lasers, and Glock - Buy holsters, sights, magazines and more for your Glock handguns | RockYourGlock.com, LLC in addition to Midway USA and Brownell's for aftermarket barrel options.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

my father is not a glock fanboy but he picked up a 27 at a pawnshop for $350 with all sorts off goddies attached and has carried it everyday for 3 years now. he hated it at first because of the short grip but after he added an magazine extension he has had no complaints with it except it being ugly. he has a 1911,a 220 sig and various expensive and cheap guns but he keeps the glock as his ccw.