Arsenal AK Question

Thince1980

So, I saw on Arsenal's website today that for the time being they are selling unconverted factory fresh "sporter" saigas.

Being somewhat of an AK newb by question is this:

If I buy this:

Rifles & Shotguns from...

and this

K-Var Corp. â„¢

will it come out the same as this:

K-Var Corp. â„¢

By my math that's 379 + 154 = $533 for the sport and conversion versus $765 for the already-converted.

What am I missing? (besides muzzle brake)

I tried to call K-var this afternoon but no one answered.

Thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Sorta. There's a bit of work involved converting a Saiga, including drilling out a couple spot welds, installation of a bullet guide (without which the rounds will not feed properly from a regular AK mag), and the mag catch must be modified to accept standard AK mags. Furthermore, there are extra parts that must be installed in order to use standard AK handguards as the ones on the Saigas are not interchangeable.

Here's a basic conversion guide: Saiga Conversion

Here's a good site for conversion parts: http://dinzagarms.com/

Edited by bkelm18

Being somewhat of an AK newb by question is this:

Don’t spend $800 on an AK. AK’s became popular because they were cheap. They were junk when they were new, but that’s okay when they cost 300 bucks. At $800 you are in or near a much nicer neighborhood.

Cool thanks for the great info bkelm, I knew that was way too easy to save $200 bucks.

Don’t spend $800 on an AK. AK’s became popular because they were cheap. They were junk when they were new, but that’s okay when they cost 300 bucks. At $800 you are in or near a much nicer neighborhood.

That's why I was considering the original saiga for $379 :)

Guest bkelm18
Cool thanks for the great info bkelm, I knew that was way too easy to save $200 bucks.

That's why I was considering the original saiga for $379 :)

It's really a simple process. There are several good videos on YouTube showing how to do it as well. I've done it 3 times personally with minimal tools.

Guest no_masters

bkelm is right. The process is not too hard but does involve a few things. There's plenty of videos and pic by pic guides online to help you with it.

Guest Mr.26

No need to spend 800$ for a already converted AK/AKM

A WASR10 will do just make sure your front sight post and gas block are aligned that's if your buying one in person.

Now if buying online is your only option, do some research on the different importers and manufactuers before you do.

Interarms produces a good AK variant out US parts and virgin Bulgarian parts kit at 550$.

I own an Inter Ordnance model AK-47-C and from my opinion is well built nothing is canted the trigger pull is awesome and the barrel is chrome lined the receiver has dimples so no mag wobble and the factory stock is NATO length and above all its a straight shooter.

I don't believe the sporter AK will get you a proper muzzle device without putting quite a bit of work into it. You might want to read up on the process for adding AK looking handguards too. The sporter handguards are longer than original AK handguards.

FWIW I'm very pleased with my Arsenal AK-74.

I don't believe the sporter AK will get you a proper muzzle device without putting quite a bit of work into it. You might want to read up on the process for adding AK looking handguards too. The sporter handguards are longer than original AK handguards.

FWIW I'm very pleased with my Arsenal AK-74.

Jeff you are right. The front end work requires a big hydraulic press and other simple but special tools. However, it isn't really necessary. There are some adapters and other ways around the big tools, but IMO they don't look very good for the money you will have in it.

That being said, Saiga's are still the BEST Ak you can get whether the front end is converted or not. I always did the conversion myself and then had Red Jacket convert the front end. He used to do it for $100 (I provided the parts).

Thanks for the info guys.

I might save up and just buy the Arsenal already converted because, being in college, I don't have much access to tools or a shop, even for a pretty simple project. Plus I've heard nothing but good things about the Arsenal guns.

You really don't need a lot of tools or a shop. I really advise checking out the conversion process online. I did mine myself. Had ball doing it and learned a lot about the AK and Siaga. You will know that rifle inside and out. BTW, I'd never done anything like this before. My respect for the AK grew multiple times after seeing how simple a design it is!