Zero leading...Missouri Bullets

I just wanted to pass on my experience with some Missouri bullets I ordered. They are for 9mm and called their "Small Ball". They are 18 brinell and 125 grain weight. Over 5.5 grains of VV 3N37 they give absolutely no leading issues. I fired a few hundred then checked because I fear lead build up to the point of explosions. To my suprize there was no evidence of leading at all. Once I ran a brush down the bore it looked just like before I started shooting.

In the enxt few days I will shoot them across the chronograph to check velocity. Velocity has as much to do with leading as anything. Maybe I can get the same results with other powders as long as I stay in the same velocity range.

I have used Missouri bullets for about 6 months now. I still haven't figured out the recipe for my 45 ACP. I has some leading at the chamber end so I need to bump the velocity or the pressure.

Dolomite

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have started using these. The 115 9mm, similar to yours, zero issues. Also using makarov, 380, 44, 30-30.

You can order a different hardness for your .45 if you buy a lot of rounds, which would let you use the load you want without leading. I would think a lower pressure round would also reduce the problem but am not experienced enough to say for sure (?).

Well, if it ain't my 2 favorite reloaders!

Hey Dolomite, what are you shooting the 9mm's out of? If I understand correctly, some guns are more prone to leading than others, right? I shoot a Glock and a bunch of CZ's. I've never heard of an issue with the CZ's, but I have heard that Glocks are a problem.

I'm quickly using up the first 500 bullets (Ranier 124 gr fmj) I got and wanting to try some HBWC or LRN bullets next. With shipping these come up to exactly half the price each as what I'm using!

Well, if it ain't my 2 favorite reloaders!

Hey Dolomite, what are you shooting the 9mm's out of? If I understand correctly, some guns are more prone to leading than others, right? I shoot a Glock and a bunch of CZ's. I've never heard of an issue with the CZ's, but I have heard that Glocks are a problem.

I'm quickly using up the first 500 bullets (Ranier 124 gr fmj) I got and wanting to try some HBWC or LRN bullets next. With shipping these come up to exactly half the price each as what I'm using!

Glocks with poly rifling lead up on *soft* (pure) lead badly, as do other poly guns (uncommonish, makarov is one of them). Harder lead should be OK if you do not try to make super hot loads and just use lead for target practice. The most important thing, as I understand it, is to never shoot jacketed ammo after lead without a cleaning, just to be safe.

With lead there is a middle ground. Too fast and the leading occurs upwards the muzzle. Too slow or low pressure and the leading occurs at the chamber end of the barrel. When fired the rear of the bullet should squash out and seal to the bore. If not then the gases pass the bullets and cause leading.

I am shooting them out of a Taurus 24/7 OSS DS with a 5.25" barrel.

Dolomite

Guest Lester Weevils

Closest to lead I've used was Ranier 124gr plated bullets. Supposedly on those one should moderate the velocity of plated somewhat because the plating isn't as "heavy duty" as jacketed.

Got a couple of 9mm pistols lately that don't like my Ranier target loads that worked fine for years. The target loads are not high-power enough to work the action reliably. Coincidentally that was the time period when Raniers were backordered and practically unobtainable, so was switching over to more expensive jacketed because that was all I could find at the time.

So I adjusted my "target" load pretty stiff. Using XTP bullets, set up the load to generate the same velocity as Hornady factory XTP ammo. Which runs all the guns no problemo.

I know that some folks will sometimes use weaker recoil springs so that target loads will cycle better. But am just wondering if maybe some of the factory setup pistols with stiff recoil springs might want enough power that it would be "too much power" to use even hard lead in them? Because the required velocity would have to be faster than is recommended for lead bullets?

Or maybe in that case one could use lead bullets heavier than 124 gr, so you could get more recoil without excessive velocity?

It is just an academic question because the price difference between lead and jacketed doesn't seem that significant to me. Was just curious about that.

Closest to lead I've used was Ranier 124gr plated bullets. Supposedly on those one should moderate the velocity of plated somewhat because the plating isn't as "heavy duty" as jacketed.

Got a couple of 9mm pistols lately that don't like my Ranier target loads that worked fine for years. The target loads are not high-power enough to work the action reliably. Coincidentally that was the time period when Raniers were backordered and practically unobtainable, so was switching over to more expensive jacketed because that was all I could find at the time.

So I adjusted my "target" load pretty stiff. Using XTP bullets, set up the load to generate the same velocity as Hornady factory XTP ammo. Which runs all the guns no problemo.

I know that some folks will sometimes use weaker recoil springs so that target loads will cycle better. But am just wondering if maybe some of the factory setup pistols with stiff recoil springs might want enough power that it would be "too much power" to use even hard lead in them? Because the required velocity would have to be faster than is recommended for lead bullets?

Or maybe in that case one could use lead bullets heavier than 124 gr, so you could get more recoil without excessive velocity?

It is just an academic question because the price difference between lead and jacketed doesn't seem that significant to me. Was just curious about that.

124 grain lead bullets are $52/1000 while jacketed Berry bullets are near twice that at $86/1000. Even Ranier bullets are close to $100 per 1000. It isn't any cheaper for me to use lead or even reload. I spend the same amount to shoot as I did before I just get to shoot more.

I have loaded 45 ACP lead bullets to +P leves and still had problems with not enough pressure or velocity. The leading is at the chamber end of the rifling so the bullet isn't obturating enough to seal. I didn't want to push it any harder. That was with 21 brinell bullets. I have started using 18 brinell bullets and am getting the same issue. I suspect if I use a quicker powder it will help seal the bullet better. My next purchase for my 1911 with be 12 brinell bullets to see if that helps.

I am just glad the 9mm isn't leading at all. I will be using the same formula from now on in all my 9mm's.

Dolomite

All:______________

To add a bit to lester's observations here"

...Closest to lead I've used was Ranier 124gr plated bullets. Supposedly on those one should moderate the velocity of plated somewhat because the plating isn't as "heavy duty" as jacketed.

We've used the Rainers in 357 sig shot thru a glock 33 with good results and absolutely no leading. Chronograph velocities in the 1275 to 1325 fps vicinity. They are extremely accurate. We have also used Missouri Bullets in 380 and 44 special loads in the 900 fps or so range. Very good bullets too.

leroy