Wal-Mart brings back gun sales

Guest TnRebel

Guest TnRebel

The move is just the latest sign that executives are returning to the company's roots after recent failed efforts to appear more upscale.By InvestorPlace on Fri, Apr 29, 2011 8:19 AMBy Jeff Reeves, editor of InvestorPlace.comWal-Mart (WMT) may be the world's biggest retailer, but that doesn't mean it has given up on growing. From planned grocery deliveries to inner-city residents to its recent purchase of a social-media company, there always seems to be something new in store.The latest news, according to The Wall Street Journal, is that Wal-Mart will reload gun sales by cutting back on electronics floor space to make room for rifles, shotguns and ammunition at hundreds of U.S. stores.But unlike previous failed efforts and some recent quirky initiatives, the return of guns and ammo is a return to Wal-Mart's roots -- something the company may sorely need. Top Stocks- MSN Money

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new (3 1/2 yr. old) Supercenter here had only ammo and some (occasional) muzzle loaders until about 1 month ago. They put in a 12 ft. gun case with a pretty good selection of long guns.

I haven't really looked at what they have, but imagine they are mostly in the $200 to $350 range.

Cheap rifles here we come!

I bet the other box stores are worried....I would be.

Our Walmart just started selling guns again and are putting the pinch on the local gun store, which is the only gun store in the county. When Walmart quit selling guns several years back, prices shot up at the local gun store, but now Walmart has them beat by nearly $150 on Mossberg shotguns. 12 gauge Mossy 500's are $227 right now at Wally World. I still support the local gun shop for HP ammo and pistols, but it's hard to overlook that kind of price difference on long guns.

Guest Travtastik

My walmart here has had guns since we moved up here last March. As for price they had a remington 870 express for $297. I have yet to find anyone local that keeps them in stock. Sportsmans Warehouse and Acedemy in Chattanooga had them for $299 last time I was down. Walmart has alot of guns there but the 870 is the only thing I have priced from them.

Walmart's in stock long gun prices are very competitive. Academy will price match, but their list price is usually higher than Walmart.

It has been reported that a significant # of Walmarts stopped selling long guns several years ago. I know they did in the major metro. areas of the NE. It will be interesting to see if they start to sell them again in the liberal major metro. areas. I believe it will all come down to what the sales are per sqr. ft. vs. other items.

Guest TargetShooter84
Whatever they do I can assure you of one thing. The two West Knoxville WM's will not stock guns.

TC and Walker Springs?