The Block Sharpener

Paul Block himself was at last gun show here, demonstrating and selling these. I bought a package of two for $20. He sells them for more on line, though, although looks like you can get three for $30 or something.

Gotta say, I'm really impressed with these babies. I put a decent edge on a couple of old Pakastani blades that I could never get more than thin butter knife sharp, and on better blades, it really does a very nice job, quickly. Sharpened three Cold Steel knives I use in the kitchen back to at least factory edge; also, had dulled my Buck 110 cutting a sizable limb off tree down at mom's during the storms in 'Nooga area, and it put factory edge back on it in 6 or 8 strokes.

Unlike the little x crossed carbide jobbies like Smith makes, this really doesn't "rip" a new edge and leave the tiny irregular pattern, matter of fact doesn't re-profile whatever you start with at all. Probably still do somewhat better with knowledgeable stone work, or a more idiot-proof system like Spyderco Sharpmaker, but it's a better edge on most knives I've tried than I've been able to do short of that. All in 10 strokes or less. Strop on a piece of leather to finish.

One thing he doesn't seem to mention in ads, or during the live demo at show, the twofer package I got had different colored rods on them. I asked and he said the more bronzy looking one was the model his dad used to make is more aggressive, while the silver one is less so. At any rate, they both work quite well. I tried two serrated blades, and it actually did quite a nice job on those also, even though it can't really get exactly between the grooves vertically all the way up, it sure made the edges sharp. Again, all this without profiling or hardly taking away any metal visibly, there's really not any filings left, except a faint trace of powdered material.

Anyway, highly recommended for a quickie and effective small sharpener, beats all other of same category I've tried hands down. My take is that if it won't spiff up the blade, it's probably some totally inferior steel that nothing could do much with.

header%286%29.jpg

The Block Sharpener - home

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, are those fingers holding the rod a little flexible to keep from profiling?

Yeah, quite flexible. They give a lot. You can feel a really dull knife getting smoother, so you reduce pressure for a few strokes to finish it off.

- OS

Interesting. The "Club Special" on the web site is buy 6, get 6 free.... 12 sharpeners for $70 (+ shipping, I assume). That's about $6 each. I'm sitting here thinking about how many of these I could give as gifts to justify it...