My firstbolt gun

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, congrats! 308 is all the bolt anyone ever needs, really, given the flexibility of that round and range. I grew up on bolt guns and have a bunch of them, though I rarely shoot them anymore... much more of a pistol shooter at this point in my life. They are a lot of fun, nothing else has the same feel and its a good feel =)

I hate to ask, but I will... what is "tatical" about it?

I think Badger makes the best base and rings in the business. They are high, but worth it. Have you thought about changing the stock out? That is really the only thing I don't care for about the SPS Tac. from the factory.

I think Badger makes the best base and rings in the business. They are high, but worth it. Have you thought about changing the stock out? That is really the only thing I don't care for about the SPS Tac. from the factory.

The stock sucks. It's only free float as long as you don't hold it by the forend.

Sweet, congrats! 308 is all the bolt anyone ever needs, really, given the flexibility of that round and range. I grew up on bolt guns and have a bunch of them, though I rarely shoot them anymore... much more of a pistol shooter at this point in my life. They are a lot of fun, nothing else has the same feel and its a good feel =)

I hate to ask, but I will... what is "tatical" about it?

It's tactical because that's the latest fashion statement

"Oh, Dahlin' have you seen the newest from...?"

"Oh...that's so last year, now"

You take a military rifle...it weighs 6 pounds and that's the big selling point. Then you put one of those rails on the front and load it with 3 pounds of lights and lasers...and a a rail on the back with the latest in Low light and a flipout 20 power and maybe even a night scope...and that junk weighs 6 pounds. that's a 15 pound rifle...you can carry three times as much ammo in 5.56 than .308....do you see where I'm headed? The whole theory about tactical is "slink and make no noise."

SWAT is not tactical...that's make as much noise as possible so the perp will know you're there and be afraid.

If you go out with a partner...do you shake each other to see if you rattle?

Edited by bajabuc

I would forget about the VTR A-TACS. The triangular barrel as well as the integrated comp cause accuracy issues as the barrel warms. Not to mention you can't have it threaded.

The Tactical AAC®-SD™ model has a bit more fit and finish to it compared to any of the other models. Probably because it wears AAC's name. I have read a lot about them and they seem to be getting a lot of good reviews accuracy wise.

Me, I am a Savage guy. The reason is they are like the 10/22 of the centerfire world. I can swap a barrel at home in about 10 minutes. Most smiths charge less than $50 to do a Savage barrel swap. Most Remingtons have to be fitted and that drives the cost up to well over $300 generally. Almost all the custom barrel makers like Shilen, Benchmark, McGowen, Pac-Nor, and a few others all make drop in replacements for a Savage. All Remington barrels have to be machined, chambered and headspaced on the lathe and that costs money. Savages do not. Factory drop in barrels can be bought for $100-$200 and custom barrels run about twice that.

Aftermarket parts are jsut as plentiful for Savages now as Remington. The only thing that Remington has that Savage doesn't seem to have yet is a AIC stock setup. There were rumors but I don't think it ever materialized. There are better setups out there though. Detachable mags are available as are plenty of stock choices. Plenty of nice, high quality triggers are availabe as wll.

To swap a barrel on a Savage all you need to do is this. Break the old barrel loose and remove it. Install the barrel nut on the new barrel. Screw the new barrel down onto the headspace gauge until it is snug then tighten the barrel nut. That is it. Persoanlly I go a bit farther and use sized brass to set my headspace for the round I make for the gun. It tends to be more accurate with the headspace being set at the minimum. It also saves my brass because there isn't as much room to grow it doesn't need trimming as often and doesn't work harden like a SAAMI spec chamber. If I need to fire factory ammo I just loosen the barrel nut and tighten the barrel down onto the factory ammo I plan on shooting. You can't do this with a Remington.

The floating bolt head of the Savage is good as well. Most custom action makers are using the flaoting bolt head now. Even those who build actiosn based on the 700. The bolt can be taken apart and a different bolt head installed for different calibers. That takes me about 10 minutes to do as well. So in 20 minutes I can go from a 223 bolt gun to a 308 or virtually any other caliber as long as my action length will handle it. A long action can pretty much handle anything out there from 223 to the magnums. The only bad thing about a Savage is you are going to get ribbed by the Remington 700 crowd, especially those who have built custom 700's. But the fun part is taking your stock Savage and embarrassing them.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

OP, that is a nice rifle. You are going to get the bug and have it decked out in no time. They are reliable and accurate guns.

What type of glass you planning on using? Mildot, duplex or something else. I would recommend trying a mildot. I never thought I wanted or needed one but now I can't imagine not using one. You can range your target with it AND use it for hold over if you don't feel like dialing in the elevation. The formula is easier than a MOA dot setup. And make sure if you do get some sort of mil dot make sure the adjustments are mil as well. It just makes life easier when you are making adjustmens on the fly.

This is a good scope for the money.

Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope 10x 40mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Mil-Dot Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

Also look at Falcon and Wotac.

Wonders Optics Home

Hawke, Vortex or Mueller (not in any particular order) are decent budget scopes. All of these are great for the money and will serve most people well. I am sure I am missing a few brands but these tend to be the hot ones.

Here are a few online vendors that carry most of the recommendations.

SWFA.com

OpticsPlanet.com

SWFA also has a used section that can have some amazing deals from time to time.

Samplelist.com

Dolomite