bolt action shotgun?

Guest biglefty20

Guest biglefty20

I saw a mossberg bolt action 12 g shotgun today...first time i have ever seen one...anyone have one?? what you would say one is worth in good condition with no rust or any of that???

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bolt action Mossberg 183D in 410. It has two screw on chokes, full and modified. It dates to the mid to late '40s. It was my mom's rabbit gun. doubt if any of them are worth much on the open market. Mine is priceless to me.

oldogy

Edited by oldogy
Guest biglefty20

it had a fairly short barrell and had no threads to screw in a choke....just seemed cool to me...they wanted $150 but i passed because i had no idea about it

Marlin made a bolt action goose gun with a 36" barrell that was a lot of fun at turkey shoots

Saw one at Shylock's today. They had three bolt shotties. Didn't look at any of them but one was a Marlin I believe. It had a 36" barrel.

I've always wanted a Marlin Super Goose Gun. You know, the 10 gauge version. :rolleyes:

Guest Bluemax
Saw one at Shylock's today. They had three bolt shotties. Didn't look at any of them but one was a Marlin I believe. It had a 36" barrel.

I've always wanted a Marlin Super Goose Gun. You know, the 10 gauge version. :rolleyes:

I had a 12 ga but let some peckerhead trade me out of it. With the 36" barrell and full choke it kicked like a mule

Guest coldblackwind

Not anything really wrong with them per say, but $150 is probably about 3 times what you should pay for one. They just have pretty much no value.

They are actually pretty good guns. They are inexpensive and offer nothing for the "gotta have it" crowd.

Nothing wrong with them if people use them as hunting guns, but much anything over $100 is a stretch. Almost perfect for squirrel and rabbit. The rifled Savage bolt actions are mean machines...a 500 grain slug at 1400fps is no joke.

I was going to use one to build a 12 gauge cannon. The ATF initilly said it was OK because it was over 26" in length but later reversed it saying it was no longer able to be shoulder fired. Kind of kicked me in the nuts because I wanted a centerfire cannon with a rifled bore. It would be able to shoot flares as well as shot and then there was firing slugs. It would have been cheap to build as well.

I was going to use a rifled Savage for the basis then use bullets similar to the ones in this thread:

12GA From Hell - Page 1 - AR15.COM

I was even in discussion with the poster about sourcing everything.

Who knows I still may do it I just don't want to pay $200 for the priviledge of strapping a 12 gauge to a carriage.

Dolomite

You have the strangest damn ideas? I suppose if you can do it......why not. Practicality be damned.

All my friends say that as well.

I have a Savage bolt gun in 45 ACP, actually I built it for my wife to use. I had a Savage chambered in 7.62x25 Tokarev so I could shoot subsonic loads cheap. I put tensioning sleeves on a lot of my guns, it performs like a bull barrel while having sporter barrel weights.

Next big project is a 9mm bolt gun to shoot 158 grain bullets or even heavier after I run them through a sizer. I am going to see if I can get some 180's to cycle in a pistol. DOn;t think it is going to happen but you never know.

I have turned bullets out of aluminum to test. I have pushed 95 grain bullets out of a 9mm to over 2,000 fps during some testing.

I am definitely not shy about being, not just thinking, outside of the box.

Pictures of the Tokarev:

Tensioned barrel with the barrel machined concentric to the bore then a sleeve put over it and the tensioning nut tightened. This slightly stretches the barrel reducing whip. You could measure the difference between loose and tight on a longer barrel I tensioned.

IMG_0198.jpg

Under the tensioning sleeve:

IMG_0203.jpg

Round sitting in the action:

IMG_0207.jpg

Bolt face after being opened up (it still works with a 223):

IMG_0204.jpg

Dummy rounds for chambering:

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0197.jpg

45 ACP bolt gun:

Front sight:

frontsight.jpg

A few views:

overallside.jpg

overall.jpg

Rear sight:

rearsight.jpg

Sight picture:

sightpicture.jpg

And some loads I made for testing:

250SSTand200GDHP.jpg

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The91Bravo

I have a Sears 101.xxxx .410 bolt gun found it in the attic when I put the second story on the house... probably has a body on it from the early 60's.. eeek.

I refinished a Marlin bolt 12 gauge for a friend... he loved it.

as was said earlier, not worth much, but the sentimental value can be priceless.....

my.02

We went to the gun show that they sometimes have at the National Guard Armory in Maryville. I wanted to get a shotgun for my wife to try out and see if she liked shooting shotguns. She wanted a single for the simplicity/safety (easy to see if the hammer is cocked) and my two singles had too long a lop (I wasn't about to chop either of them as I have had them since I was in my teens.) She ended up picking out an older 20 gauge with a shorter (almost youth length) lop. While we were looking, I saw an old bolt-action 20 gauge with an adjustable choke. I didn't have a 20, had no experience with adjustable chokes and, at $79, the price was low enough that I was interested. It holds two rounds in the internal mag for a total of three rounds (with one in the chamber.) I think it is an old Sears gun or something similar. It is not chambered for 3 inch shells but has handled everything in 2 3/4 I have put through it just fine - from field loads up to buckshot and slugs (the info I found about 'accu-chokes' on the 'net said you just set the choke to wide-open for slugs.) It generally cycles pretty smoothly as long as I don't get in too big a hurry. I haven't shot it a whole lot but it has been fun to shoot when I did. The furniture is some kind of light weight wood so the gun doesn't weigh as much as it looks like it weighs. Being a 20, though, the recoil isn't bad at all despite the lack of weight.

Here it is with the single shot my wife picked out (the recoil pad on the single makes it look longer than it is.) My wife has since decided that she doesn't care anything about shooting shotguns so I now claim both of them:

FullViewBoth2.jpg

Edited by JAB