Need advice on a knife for a retirement gift

Hey guys I'm not very knowledgeable on knives so I’m looking for some advice. I’ve got a guy that is retiring in my department at work. Several of us were going to go in together on a gift. I was thinking he might like a knife.

· Needing to hopefully stay in the low $200 range.

· Looking for something unique. I was thinking he would prefer something with wood on the handle since he does a lot of wood working, etc., but since he’s a machinist/fabricator he might like some that blends wood and metal on the handle.

· He’s not a tactical kind of guy so I was steering away from that style of knife.

· Looking for a folder, so no fixed.

· Looking for something on the small to mid size so it’s easily carried. It doesn’t have to be a single blade since he currently has a smaller size multi blade pocket knife.

I’ve started looking and found maybe a couple of options but would like some suggestions. I found these two that might be an option. I’m not familiar with the Lion Steel brand. Are they a good brand? It would be great to get something local so I can see it in person before purchasing but I can order online if I need to. I'm just starting to look so I haven't checked local stores yet.

Lion Steel MINI Cocobolo and Damascus Folding Knife

Benchmade Shoki 480 Folding Knife

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lion Steel is an Italian company with a very good reputation. That particular blade you linked is really nice looking but is really small.

When you were describing what you were looking for, the first thing that popped into my mind was a Chris Reeve Mnandi. It fits all of your criteria perfectly except price. They typically run from $350-450 depending on the wood inlay you choose.

Are you going to get it engraved for the occasion? That may cut into your funds a little if you do.

Probably not since I think that detracts from the look of the gift. We have a 3D prototype modeling machine at work that will make a special presentation box. It has the abillity to print text into the part so that's what we would do for that part of the gift.

When you were describing what you were looking for, the first thing that popped into my mind was a Chris Reeve Mnandi. It fits all of your criteria perfectly except price. They typically run from $350-450 depending on the wood inlay you choose.

I looked that one up and would agree that it is very nice but we can't spent that much. Thanks anyway. If I find the perfect one we might be able to go a little higher than the low $200's but not by much. Maybe $275 tops.

Edited by Trekbike
Not that it really matters for the suggestions but the gift is for a guy I work with and not my father. That knife is very unique but since he's not really into guns he probably wouldn't like that one. Thanks anyway.

sorry, i misread someone recently asked me about a knife for his father my mistake

Sure ya don't wanna go traditional?

You can build a custom Buck 110 onsite, choice of handle material, brass or silver bolsters, even have blade and/or bolster engraved, looks like about $120 max. Dunno the turnaround time, though, guess you could call.

BUCK

- OS

Sure ya don't wanna go traditional?

You can build a custom Buck 110 onsite, choice of handle material, brass or silver bolsters, even have blade and/or bolster engraved, looks like about $120 max. Dunno the turnaround time, though, guess you could call.

BUCK

- OS

I had no idea you could custom build them nowadays, thanks for posting this!

I had no idea you could custom build them nowadays, thanks for posting this!

The choices are quite limited, but you do get one that they don't sell through any other outlets.

There are also some makers who custom modify a few different Buck production models to suit, can't point to one right off, but the Buck forum on BladeForums.com is where I see them.

- OS

The choices are quite limited, but you do get one that they don't sell through any other outlets.

There are also some makers who custom modify a few different Buck production models to suit, can't point to one right off, but the Buck forum on BladeForums.com is where I see them.

- OS

That is awesome just to have the choices they offer, I just ordered one thanks again!

That is awesome just to have the choices they offer, I just ordered one thanks again!

Oh, far out. Please do a show and tell when you get it!

I've gone back to carrying a 110 finger groove for some time now. Replaced a long lost one from 30 years ago, love it. Normal production one, though, and they only offer it in one config. Also a Stockman, which also replaces a long lost one.

MyBucks.jpg

Good for you!

- OS

Oh, far out. Please do a show and tell when you get it!

I've gone back to carrying a 110 finger groove for some time now. Replaced a long lost one from 30 years ago, love it. Normal production one, though, and they only offer it in one config. Also a Stockman, which also replaces a long lost one.

MyBucks.jpg

Good for you!

- OS

I ordered a 110 S30V steel, Nickel Bolsters, Asian Water buffalo horn scales, with rivets I will post pics when it arrives it could be a couple of months for the custom order but it will be worth the wait!

I ordered a 110 S30V steel, Nickel Bolsters, Asian Water buffalo horn scales, with rivets I will post pics when it arrives it could be a couple of months for the custom order but it will be worth the wait!

That'll be something to see.

My standard one has "satin" 420HC, which isn't even an option in the custom I see.

Never seen a black oxide blade on a 110, or a serrated one, either, which are options. I'm not a serrated fan, though.

- OS

The Buck 110 is a very good choice! Or perhaps you could purchase him a really nice Case Pocket Knife. Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a huge Case selection. You might peruse their site or even take a visit to their store in Sevierville!

The Buck 110 is a very good choice! Or perhaps you could purchase him a really nice Case Pocket Knife. Smoky Mountain Knife Works has a huge Case selection. You might peruse their site or even take a visit to their store in Sevierville!

Actually for the money the OP is talking about spending, you could get a nice Case XX and a Buck 110 for him that gift I am sure would please any knife fan

Actually for the money the OP is talking about spending, you could get a nice Case XX and a Buck 110 for him that gift I am sure would please any knife fan

Thanks that might be just the ticket since the 110 is something he probably wouldn't carry on a daily basis. Also getting him a small pocket would take care of that. I went through Case's knives and have a couple of options. I'm going to review the stuff with the other guys at work and see what they think.

You could go with a nice Damascus Bowie for $149. It has a Stag grip as opposed to the wood. Just a thought. [/url]

That is very nice knife but wanted to stick with folders. Thanks anyway.