What Would You Do During a Mall Shooting?

Guest C4Dave

"i see the light, i see the light, i see the light"

"BOOM"

Back off topic, I have a nice scar to show what happens when something off the back side of am M18 sends something your way. I'd hate to be on the front side.

If we want to discuss Claymores, we need to set up a topic. I know a LOT about them. Probably a lot more than you want me to talk about. :D

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would I do?

I'd try to not die, or let my family get hurt... that would most likely involve expeditiously leaving the area, returning fire if necessary or prudent.

I don't really like malls, myself... but sometimes I'm forced to go.

Edited by molonlabetn

Started a thread. I guess I could just cross borders on the way their. I'll just ask directions from everyone going the other way. :D Hola, me llamo es suntzu, y tu?

First and foremost, insure the safety and continued living of myself and my family.

If shooter is close to me and in site, I still do everything I can to get my family out of harms way.

Question or a thought and a question I had thinking about this topic. In most of these situations, the shooter does not get confronted by anyone with a gun, but they end up killing themselves. I wonder what would happen if the shooter was confronted by someone with a gun (like us, and we couldn't get away, it was a fight or nothing situation) , that was returning fire. I would guess and this is only a guess, that the shooter would probably freeze and not know what to do, because this was not in the "plan" in his head.. and you could have somewhat of a chance..Just a thought. Could be wrong.

Some of us don't have all those options to retreat....cops and retired cops in particular. In my own case, once I heard the firing my only thought would be "how can I get to this guy and disrupt his fire." And believe me, unless he nails me I will find a way. And events like this are exactly the reason why I carry a full size CZ 75 .40 instead of a snubbie. Even though I'm 65 now and retired 15 years ago, there's just no way I could walk away from something like this, and I doubt you'll find many cops and retired cops who could. Even if it gets me prosecuted, sued, or shot by another cop, those are all entirely preferable to spending the rest of my life knowing that, even though I was thoroughly trained and capably armed, I walked away while women and children were falling to assault rifle bullets.

I guess I see duty as something more than a tax you pay on liquor you bring back from Mexico, and an oath is something that lasts forever.

JayPee

Sergeant, retired

California Highway Patrol

1965-1993

Edited by jaypee
Guest jackdog

Exit as quickly as possible. Take a shot only if things were to the point that I had to. But hey when I go a mall you can bet that my wife is dragging me. As a matter of fact she's to the point she does not go very often either.

Guest canynracer
Some of us don't have all those options to retreat....cops and retired cops in particular. In my own case, once I heard the firing my only thought would be "how can I get to this guy and disrupt his fire." And believe me, unless he nails me I will find a way. And events like this are exactly the reason why I carry a full size CZ 75 .40 instead of a snubbie. Even though I'm 65 now and retired 15 years ago, there's just no way I could walk away from something like this, and I doubt you'll find many cops and retired cops who could. Even if it gets me prosecuted, sued, or shot by another cop, those are all entirely preferable to spending the rest of my life knowing that, even though I was thoroughly trained and capably armed, I walked away while women and children were falling to assault rifle bullets.

I guess I see duty as something more than a tax you pay on liquor you bring back from Mexico, and an oath is something that lasts forever.

JayPee

Sergeant, retired

California Highway Patrol

1965-1993

I hear what you are saying Jay

what part of CA did you patrol? I am from Ventura County.

First and foremost, insure the safety and continued living of myself and my family.

If shooter is close to me and in site, I still do everything I can to get my family out of harms way.

Question or a thought and a question I had thinking about this topic. In most of these situations, the shooter does not get confronted by anyone with a gun, but they end up killing themselves. I wonder what would happen if the shooter was confronted by someone with a gun (like us, and we couldn't get away, it was a fight or nothing situation) , that was returning fire. I would guess and this is only a guess, that the shooter would probably freeze and not know what to do, because this was not in the "plan" in his head.. and you could have somewhat of a chance..Just a thought. Could be wrong.

That is what happened in Colorado at the second church shooting.The female security guard shot him and prevented him from shooting anyone else.He then shot himself out of frustration or because that was his plan for his end anyway.Jeanne Azan sp? is a very brave woman.

CanynRacer,

Well I'll be darned. I was born in Santa Paula and raised in Ventura. I graduated from VHS in '60 and attended Ventura College. Got my AS from Santa Barbara City College. I worked the Ventura CHP office in '66 and '67, and the Santa Barbara office from '67 to '72, then back to LA. I still have a sister in Montalvo. Glad to see there is more than one Californio with enough sense to move to Tennessee. Wherebouts are you from in VC? JayPee

Guest canynracer

Born in Thousand Oaks, Lived in Newbury Park my whole life (except one year, I lived in Utah) I worked for Kinkos Corporate in Oxnard off of Ventura rd (Big glass building to the Right of 101 before Victoria off ramp) then FedEx bought Kinkos, I was relocated here. I LOVE it here, I miss the mountains, but the people here are great! Well, except Fallguy and Mike 357...LOL KIDDING GUYS!!!

Course I miss my family, wife, kids and I left everyone we know, that kinda sux but it was WELL worth it!!!

Small world!!! Glad to meet you!

Edited by canynracer
Guest Engloid
there's just no way I could walk away from something like this, and I doubt you'll find many cops and retired cops who could. Even if it gets me prosecuted, sued, or shot by another cop, those are all entirely preferable to spending the rest of my life knowing that, even though I was thoroughly trained and capably armed, I walked away while women and children were falling to assault rifle bullets.

Although I'm not a cop, I was wondering if I were the only one that thought this way.

One of the times I came closest to getting "beat up" was when an aquaintance began abusing his wife. I decided that I couldn't sit and watch. I'd rather get beat up than live knowing I did nothing to help. As it turned out, neither happened. I was able to stop him, even after he decked me twice.

Guest jaypee

No, we're not the only ones who feel this way Engloid. There were some guys on Flight 92 who felt this way too, and I have enough faith in this country to believe there are a lot more where they came from.

JayPee

I'm certainly no stranger to a gun fight. I guess I'm a bit cynical. I'd be a lot more likely to try to save children's lives than adults. The adults have the opportunity to protect themselves by getting a permit and carrying. If they don't do that, I feel no responsibility to protect them. I might or I might not, but it wouldn't be because I felt I had a duty to do so.

I don't get the parallel to Flight 93 either. Sorry. Those people had been on cell phone and knew they were going to die. What they did was heroic and they deserve great respect for what they did. But it seems to me that a mall shooting parallel would be if someone in another aircraft chose to run into them to prevent additional carnage in DC.