What Would You Do During a Mall Shooting?

Guest C4Dave

I saw this on another forum and thought I would share.

===================================

In light of recent events my shooting buddies decided to get together and run some semi-realistic drills. The objective being to figure out what the correct response is in a public setting when some nutjob opens fire.

The way we did this is with paintball guns. We mess around with paintball regularly, but usually just as a game. This time we tried to simulate reality. We had a barn with a typical layout, some open spaces as well as horse stalls and smaller rooms. Before each scenario we would draw straws, keeping them to ourselves. The person with the short straw would be the "bad guy". We would simply walk around and the bad guy would start shooting whenever he felt like it.

Our group includes several people in law enforcement, and a Marine who has fought in urban environments.

What we learned was this situation sucks. Bad. Whether you're armed or not people are going to die. The keyboard commandos who always post "If I'd been there I would have dropped him" need to try it some time. In our scenario we were all armed, and we were expecting it to happen. Regardless, the bad guy always racked up a nice body count.

From my experience I would advise this. If you hear shooting GET DOWN! The first thing to do is disappear as a target. I don't care if you have a M-16 strapped to your back, you have to play defense first. Hopefully the shooter hasn't seen you and you have cover nearby. Now is when you make your fight or flight decision. If you're not armed, you run. Period. We messed around with unarmed resistance, and it does not end well. And even if I was armed, I would use it to cover myself as I got the *$#& out of there. As for how to do that, keep your head down and don't run in a straight line. The easiest thing in the world is hitting someone in the back as they run straight away from you.

The only real exception is if you're behind the shooter when he starts blasting away. Thing is, people planning on doing this aren't going to let that happen. It's instinctive to find a defensible location and start picking off nearby targets. You don't leave potential resistance at your back. If you're really close and you react instantly you might get lucky.

Obviously each situation is unique. If you are armed and see an opportunity, it's your call. Just realize things happen real REAL fast.

Tactics. My feeling is you get down, move away in a zig zag pattern (if possible) and find cover. Then decide if you're going to go on the offensive. Make that decision fast and stick to it. If you haven't been spotted and can move around unseen, try and flank the shooter and come up from behind. Get close enough for a guaranteed hit and let loose. If you have been seen GTFO! Obviously if you have nowhere to go you have to fight back, just be quick.

Anyway, if you can get a group together to do this kind of thing I would highly recommend it. Nothing beats actual experience.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer

I agree as well...except "I would drop him" LOL...I kid...but getting down and getting my family out of there is priority one, if I can take a shot on the way out, so be it....

in short, run like hell

It would depend on the situation,too many variables.Ideal situation would be a single shooter and you are able to take a precision shot shot at him(The church guard in Colorado for example) .Worst case would be you on the bottom level(food court) and multiple shooters on top level cut loose and everyone panics and runs over each other.

Edited by Grout

Agreed, I am not looking for a fight. IF the shooter was close enough to me that I KNEW I could get a shot on them with out drawing more attention to myself, I MIGHT take the shot if I could not get myfamily and me to cover.

First option - Get out moving in an eratic pattern which would be slightly slowed by picking up and carrying two screaming kids. Second if getting out is not an option, getting to cover. Third is neutralizing but only if I can do that with out loosing step 1 or 2. If you can't see us, you can't hit us. Simple. Getting everyone out is number one priority.

Sorry, not super man here. Can't stop a bullet or go faster than a speeding locomotive (though my kids think I can)

Two Words... "Food Court".

Theoretically there won't be any lines then. (I hate the long lines, yet will

silently stand in a rather long one for "Bourbon Chicken" at the Galleria. Strange. Perhaps that says something about the soothing power of chicken. Hmmm...)

If it happened in the Food Court, I admit that it would present a problem for me. Granted... the lines would vanish, but I have noticed there really isn't any cover in front of any of the restaurants. (Did I just call those places "restaurants"?!?)

This truly is a hard ethical and philosophical question. Stand and fight for my life and more so for the Bourbon Chicken I hold so dear? Or seek proper cover, hoping to taste that sweet, sweet Bourbon Chicken another day. :rolleyes:

And to add even another layer to problem... what if that day... they had a drink special? Oh my... I don't think I could honestly say. :D

Guest CrazyLincoln

Obviously defensive action is ideal, however, it seems to me, if you were in a position where the shooter was coming in your direction with no cover, it would make more sense to throw large objects in his direction to distract him a split second to react, rather than shoot him. It's kind of hard to aim well with, say, a metal chair, flying in your direction.

To save another life, perhaps pull the fire alarm, potentially distracting him for half a second, to allow someone to take cover.

Haven't tried any of these, but seems I could do either faster than I could draw, aim, and pull the trigger enough times to stop the threat.

Guest GLOCKGUY

if i was alone i would run and hide if my family was with me i would get them behind me and walk backwards away from the sound of the shooting and try to hide them some where safe and just stay in front of them with my gun drawn ready to shoot what every tried to hurt me or my family

Edited by GLOCKGUY

I had to go to Knoxville Center mall last weekend to get a new pair of glasses. I hadn't been there in a couple years as I try to stay away from K-town as much as possible. It was horrible! I felt like a duck out of water in that place. There were so many shady, "gang banger" looking types walking around mostly in small packs. I was carrying my .38 five shot snubbie and was with my son and elderly mother. I felt severely underarmed!!! I was actually thinking about what I would do if someone started shooting. I decided then that taking cover and/or getting my family out of there would be #1. If I thought I could get off a clean shot(s) after taking cover I would do it if I had to. I got home and kept thinking about that 5 shot......I'd rather have it than nothing of course.....but 5 shots is just not comforting enough for me these days with all this shooting going on everywhere. I am now carrying my Glock 27 and will be from now on. My husband thinks I'm crazy (he's not into guns at all).......but I bet he'd change his tune fast if we were ever in a situation where a gun was needed to protect us and our son.

I think I would be worried about someone saying that I was the bg with a gun.

If he was close to me,or coming my way I would shoot back,but otherwise Im like speed racer on smooth floors.My ars would be the first one in the dunkin donuts across the street(plenty of LEO's there :D)

Guest Glknknox

I would get out as fast as I could.

There are more ways out of a mall than the big front doors they have.

Every one of those stores in there have a back door to a hallway, that leads to the outside dooors.

I haven't been to a mall in years to shop, but I have worked in plenty of the stores (HVAC)

Don't get me wrong, guy puts a gun in my face, he will have one in his, just not my job to save the mall walkers