New .380

I bought my First .380 today. I went to the sprint store to get my phone fixed and they told me it would be about 30 min. What can you get done in 30 min you ask? Well I left there and went and got my hair cut. 10 min tops, So with the remaining 2o min I stopped into D&T Arms. Looked around a little while and had to buy something, So I picked up a new Smith and Wesson .380 Body Guard and a pocket Holster. Its great! can't wait to get it to the range.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DELETED

Shame on D&T arms and their fast and efficient service. They just make it too easy to buy guns. I'll bet they were even friendly about it.

Shame on D&T arms and their fast and efficient service. They just make it too easy to buy guns. I'll bet they were even friendly about it.

You know now that you say something they were friendly, in fact the threw in a free hat as well.

• 1 month later...

I am looking for a pocket carry .380. I have seen the bodyguard online but not in person. It just seems to me that the laser would not be needed. I have not got my conceal carry permit yet so I have no experience in this area. I have about settled on the Kel-Tec P3AT but I do like the looks of the bodyguard. Could yall maybe explain why the laser would be a needed accessory? I'm not trying to start anything but I don't have any real world experience yet and would love your imput. Thanks.

I am looking for a pocket carry .380. I have seen the bodyguard online but not in person. It just seems to me that the laser would not be needed. I have not got my conceal carry permit yet so I have no experience in this area. I have about settled on the Kel-Tec P3AT but I do like the looks of the bodyguard. Could yall maybe explain why the laser would be a needed accessory? I'm not trying to start anything but I don't have any real world experience yet and would love your imput. Thanks.

Most .380's have rudimentary sights at best. They're intended to be used only as a very close range point-shoot type weapon. Without regular training, a person's instinct is to focus on the threat, not the sights. You'll point the weapon at the threat and pull the trigger until the threat stops. The laser allows you to have a clear indication of where your weapon is pointed while focused on the threat. Possibly more useful in low-light conditions.

Personally, I find lasers to be a distraction at anything beyond say 10 yds because the dot moves around so much, particularly under stress.

Specifically with the S&W Bodyguard, the problem is turning the laser on. The button is recessed and forward of the trigger guard. Not the easiest thing to reach without lots of practice.

Lasers make everything instantly cooler! The Bodyguard's laser is extremely awkward to use, but I think it is there as a selling point, not as a needed function. Everyone loves sparkly and flashy things, so why not throw a laser on there??

Ok, so just drawing the weapon does not turn the laser on. You have to physically flip the switch to activate it correct?

Correct. There's a recessed button on the side of the frame forward of the trigger guard.

I'm not aware of any laser that automatically turns on, all have a switch. Most weapon lasers have a pressure pad that you put on the grip such that when you draw, simply squeezing the grip as you normally would activates the laser.

Guest Lester Weevils

I installed CT laser grips on a NAA Guardian tiny .380 and a S&W 649 .357 snubbie. It was because the sights on both are nearly nonexistent even in good light, and was hoping a laser would improve self-defense accuracy.

The grips are of good quality and automatically turn on with a normal grip. Even better, the laser can be turned off while keeping a normal grip just by lightening pressure of the middle finger slightly.

They would probably be fine for practicing at an indoor range, but the laser dot is difficult/impossible to see outdoors unless it is a very overcast day or near nightfall. Because I always shoot outdoors, it has not been practical to practice them often, since most range visits are on bright sunny days.

Maybe with enough practice they would be an improvement, but in my hands accuracy was no better with the laser and I could get better accuracy trying to see the nearly-invisible tiny sights.

The biggest problem for me has nothing to do with the laser or sights per se-- I just can't hold tiny guns steady if they also have stiff triggers. Even if it is a smooth stiff trigger.

So the solution for me is either use a bigger pistol or find a tiny one with light DA or a tiny Single Action Only.

People who can accurately operate a stiff trigger on a tiny grip, would not have that problem.

Guest Anadais
I am looking for a pocket carry .380. I have seen the bodyguard online but not in person...

Check it out in person. I like it, but i'm a woman with really small hands. Personally, I like the weight and feel of the bodyguard and all the reviews I have read are good ones. I didn't really put a lot of thought into the laser, but since none of my other guns have one, I thought it might be nice to have one gun that does.

I wear medium gloves so my hands are not very big. Im 5'9" about 165 so I'm not a big guy at all. Thats especially why I am looking to pocket carry. The only .380 I have shot is the Kel-Tec so I would like to try more out. Only local gun store is Shooters Depot and I'm not sure about their policy of trying guns out or renting them. Thanks for all the info.

I'm about the same size as you and pocket carry a P3AT. For whatever reason, ranges don't seem to have many pocket guns available for rent. Given their growing popularity, I'd expect otherwise. Try all you can find.

I don't mean to bash the S&W. It's a fine pistol, just not my cup of tea. I fiddled with one at a local shop and didn't like the laser activation or the trigger pull. It does fit the hand well and points well. After handling several (but shooting none) I settled on the P3AT or LCP and found a good deal (here) on a P3AT.