Self defense on a college campus

Guest BritishShooter

Guest BritishShooter

I currently attend college in Nashville, and due to the law and University policy carrying any sort of firearm on campus is forbidden unless your an acting officer of law enforcement. I was looking for a self defense product I could purchase for myself and my girl friend just so we could both be a bit safer and have a chance to defend ourselves did the need arise. We do have a great campus police department but they cant be everywhere.

One of Tasers products first came to mind...but i checked it out and any sort of stun gun/taser device is banned from being carried on campus.

Anyone got any suggestions/ideas? A lot of my friends carry knives for self defense purposes but i have always been told that it is a dumb idea and your just as likely to have it used on you as use it yourself and that kind of thing....if any law enforcement/military guys or gals who know far more than i ever will about this stuff wanna chime in here that would be great :hiding::D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest clownsdd
Pepper spray?

yep, that would work.....also, I would recommend you and your gf take a course in unarmed self defense. The guys in the NV area should be able to provide a place to go...and if all else fails.....don't forget to kick, grab, yank, bite etc the gonads.

when I'm on campus I carry a small container of pepper spray in my pocket. Pretty useless against a gun but better than nothing I suppose.

A few months ago a girl was walking back to her apartment late at night and some thug tried to rob her with a knife. She sprayed him and then ran like hell. She was lucky.

What about expandable batons?

unfortunately not, at least not in TN. You have to get certified and even still it's illegal to have on campus. The law is somewhat gray in that area though. It all rides on the "intent to go armed" IIRC.

Guest 270win

I don't believe Tasers are illegal to carry on school property in Tennessee. They may be against policy but not against the law. If you feel that is what you want, i'd hide it well and carry it. Pepper spray, like Fox Labs or Saber, are both good sprays. A good maglite would work well too as an attitude adjuster because you may need to see things.

... A lot of my friends carry knives for self defense purposes but i have always been told that it is a dumb idea and your just as likely to have it used on you as use it yourself and that kind of thing.....

By statute, all knives are illegal on school property. Technically, same felony penalty as carrying gun, but unlikely to go that far unless you used it in an assault or something.

I carried sizable knives for 21 years working on campus and years before that as a student -- I didn't know TN weapons laws. Many people saw them, none freaked.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest friesepferd

1) a very good, bright pocket flashlight - many here can recomend some

2) pepper spray

3) a pocket knife - its better than nothing

4) self defense classes

5) awareness - has got to be the most important!

Guest pfries

A tactical pen can also be carried as a multi purpose\last resort back up. Train with it and it can be an effective tool in hand to hand situations Kley Zion makes a nice one.

Not just knives, but pretty much anything can be taken from you and used on you, so I wouldn't let that be a reason not to carry a knife. But as OS pointed out knives are just as illegal on campus as firearms are. TN really needs to revise the laws for college campuses as opposed to K-12 schools. That being said...

Pepper Spray is not a bad idea.

A key chain Kubaton could be useful.

A small "tactical" flashlight.

No, but as a dleivery driver I know those who do. I just have a small flashlight with the teeth on the the front to make it look like those breacher attachments people put on 12 gauges.
This is actually not the worst idea when you don't have any other options. Surefire and others make great lights that also have striker bezels, and they can be a pretty dangerous little weapon if you know how to use them. I keep one in my go-pack, just for the heck of it. A bright light with a strobe feature is also not a bad idea.

Mine came with a little belt holster. I keep it on me when I deliver as the light in my truck doesn't work and sometimes I need to check the info on the reciept as sometimes it takes me to the wrong place. I also figure that in a pinch I can bonk somebody on the head with those teeth and that'll be a pretty good encouragement to leave the pizza guy alone.