Can't edit or control fonts??

Since switching to Office 2010 and IE9, I nolonger have control of the size or type of my font when I use WORD tocopy/paste my posts. It also runs words together. This forum is the only place I experience this.

I can't highlight my text and change the sizeor type of font in the forum software, when I try nothing happens. If I want a different font or size I have to place my cursor at the very beginning, changeit, and then type.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Windows 7

Word 2010

IE 9

I left the “nolonger” “tocopy” “sizeor” and “changeit” where words were run together in case one of the admins wanted to look at it to see if there was anything there. Those words are not run together in the text I pasted.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

do you have this same problem in another browser (firefox/chrome)?

do you have this same problem copying from another program (notepad)?

do you have this same problem in another browser (firefox/chrome)?

I don't know; I don't use those.

do you have this same problem copying from another program (notepad)?

Nope.

I'm using Jarte now (because it's free and has a spell checker) but I still can't highlite and edit fonts when I paste. I'm not positive I could do that before, but I thought I could.

• Administrator

For what it's worth...

One part of the software upgrade that I intend to do this evening introduces an entirely new WYSIWYG editor into the mix. I am on the fence about this in general, but apparently those who have already upgraded say that once their forums' members have gotten over the initial shock, they have been well pleased with the new editor. The editor itself is a very common Open Source editor that appears in a lot of different packages, so it's got a lot of support behind it.

There's also an option in EI9 under the file menu to "Edit with Microsoft Office Word". Haven't tried it. I usually use the on board editors, as Daniel suggests.

That tries to load the forum page and then asks you to give a log-in and password. I don't think its really what I want.

Just type in the provided quick reply or advanced editor.

Sorry, Maybe I wasn't clear.... it doesn't work. Can't edit fonts (type or size) and spell checker won't work.

Maybe the upgrades will fix it.

Guest Lester Weevils

Using the built-in editor I can edit fonts and styles in IE 9 running 64 bit win 7 here.

Maybe it has to do with the OS Version of yer computer or possibly the version of java installed? Just wild guessing.

One thing I've noticed lately that may be an IE 9 thing. I often browse on Mac Safari but haven't lately, and haven't double-checked to see if the issue ever occurs there. I don't recall it.

For a few weeks sometimes a displayed message will repeat the last word on a line end, on the next line start.

It looks like this when it happens (except full-width lines of course)--

For a few weeks sometimes

sometimes a displayed message will

will repeat

I have seen this word-repeat bug on several web pages running various web softwares, not just the TGO software. So it is probably an IE 9 bug. Or maybe maybe I'm I'm getting getting double double vision vision. :)

That tries to load the forum page and then asks you to give a log-in and password. I don't think its really what I want.

Sorry, Maybe I wasn't clear.... it doesn't work. Can't edit fonts (type or size) and spell checker won't work.

Maybe the upgrades will fix it.

I dont mean copy and paste it in. I mean write it wholly in hte in browser editor. If that is also what you mean than I have no idea how to fix it.

Using the built-in editor I can edit fonts and styles in IE 9 running 64 bit win 7 here.

Maybe it has to do with the OS Version of yer computer or possibly the version of java installed? Just wild guessing.

One thing I've noticed lately that may be an IE 9 thing. I often browse on Mac Safari but haven't lately, and haven't double-checked to see if the issue ever occurs there. I don't recall it.

For a few weeks sometimes a displayed message will repeat the last word on a line end, on the next line start.

will repeat

The double word thing is annoying. I see it also.

I have seen this word-repeat bug on several web pages running various web softwares, not just the TGO software. So it is probably an IE 9 bug. Or maybe maybe I'm I'm getting getting double double vision vision. :)

I dont mean copy and paste it in. I mean write it wholly in hte in browser editor. If that is also what you mean than I have no idea how to fix it.
Why are you using Word?

Because WORD will punctuate "don't" properly and will spell "the" correctly. :)

Guest friesepferd

I am also now confused.

Is the problem only that you can't copy something in from word and edit the font, etc, or is the problem that you cannot type it in the reply box on the forum and edit the font, etc?

And of course that is a good question, why are you using word in the first place?

I will do that at work, because my privelages do not allow me to use the built in spell checker. At home where I can use that, I see no need to be copy-pasting things in from word.

If you cant manually type in something to the reply box and change the font, thats another issue.

Use spell checker. Theres a link to one on the top right of the post box thingie... and firefox has one built right into their browser. The one built into firefox works on any website.

will repeat

Yeah, but you're a geek :D

Guest friesepferd

i dont think theres anything geeky about it..

even the quick reply has a decent editor and spell check *shrug*

not to mention that any browser is better than IE. Chrome is awesome :)

Well of course it does. Now go back up to my post #8 and read the second from the last sentence.

BTW... Sentences start with capital letters and end with some kind of punctuation. :)

I'll say this, it can be quite messy trying to "reply with quote" posts like Dave's pasted from a word processing program, since all the font tags show in vBulletin editor, especially if trying to excise some of the original without getting some unintended font results.

For example, Dave's first post in this thread (using image since vBulletin parses the tags once it's entered and doesn't show them - using word wrap to make more readable):

DavePost.gif

- OS

You mean that it will auto correct it for you. Slight typos and missing punctuation on a message board are not major issues if when required you can demonstrate the ability to use the proper grammar.

Edited by Daniel
Guest Lester Weevils

not to mention that any browser is better than IE. Chrome is awesome :death:

All things considered, I would rather be surveilled online by MS rather than Google or Apple. If for no other reason, if MS decided to go big-time big brother they would be more likely to screw it up. :)

Guest friesepferd
I'm stuck with IE. I use a lot of web based business aps that won't run right on anything else.

actually you can run any of those in chrome. They make a special "IE" tab that you can use. You can even set it to automatically use the IE tab for certain sites.

Guest friesepferd
Well of course it does. Now go back up to my post #8 and read the second from the last sentence.

BTW... Sentences start with capital letters and end with some kind of punctuation. :(

i saw that post in fact. i guess i still just dont understand what the problem is. I thought from your original post that it was only when you copy and paste things from word. i guess its both that AND trying to type anything in the reply box as normal?

as far spelling / grammar things go... its a forum. i really dont care. I save such efforts for more worthy causes.