firearm insurance???

clowe

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know of any local insurance companies that insure firearms? Just found out that my home owner covers almost nothing. Looked at the NRA but really wanting something kind of local.

USAA does cover it. I think up to $2k. The NRA insurance is only like $1500. Who is your home owners insurance through?

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/insurance_home_value_items

That personal property is included in their Home Owner's Insurance by default as well. Also, if you go through them to get ADT, they drop your Home Owner's insurance premium by a lot for paying less than $20 a month for ADT.

Edited by wcsc12

I am an insurance agent in the Nashville area. Most homeowners policies cover guns and related equipment up to $2000 for no additional charge. Most policies will allow you to increase this coverage up to $5000 for an extra fee. You can add coverage on specific guns with an inland marine policy, but that will require you to get a written appraisal. Hope this helps.

Guest UberDuper

That's no good.. I use state farm and they'll let me insure pretty much anything I'm willing to pay for. I've got extra coverage on my guns, my computers and some of my wife's jewelry.

Guest m14man

nra can be extended covers scopes,guns,slings,mounts,bases, everything but ammo, you pick the $ amount they tell you how much. 2500 is free for being a member, i have 29000 worth for 346 a year. no appraising or scheduling anything unless the gun is valued over 2500. best deal i have found.

i've got state farm and added a "rider" to my homeowner policy to cover firearms. I wanna say it was a $10 per month to add the extra coverage. I think that bumps it up to 10k replacement value. You can go higher--i just didnt need to.....................yet. My agent discounted it somehow with proof of a safe (picture) and the security system

My home owners is through Farm Bureau and they will not schedule anything. All they will cover is 500 per gun and up to 5 guns.

Well, what ya expect? A couple of ole scatter guns, and maybe a well worn riffle is all ya need around the farm! After all Charlie don't even have a gun rack in the back winder of his truck! :):D

Guest motonut
That's no good.. I use state farm and they'll let me insure pretty much anything I'm willing to pay for. I've got extra coverage on my guns, my computers and some of my wife's jewelry.
I have a separate policy with my normal home owners that covers mine.

Have a State Farm Personal Articles policy for my firearms and wife's jewelry. Don't need appraisal for the firearms since they're fairly common ones and value easily determined but do have to get appraisals on any jewelry not bought in the last 2 yrs. Wife has MUCH MUCH more $$$ in jewelry than I have in firearms though.

Unfortunately they don't give any form of discount for the home safe (large) that all the stuff is kept in which bums me out.

State Farm covers my guns with a rider on my home owners insurance. They are covered in the same manner as my scuba diving equipment and jewelry.

My home owners is through Farm Bureau and they will not schedule anything. All they will cover is 500 per gun and up to 5 guns.

I have farm bureau as well and they cover anything and everyting inmy home against damage or fire. Theft is another story on the guns though. You will have to get a seperate policy for that.

Does anyone know of any local insurance companies that insure firearms? Just found out that my home owner covers almost nothing. Looked at the NRA but really wanting something kind of local.

I can't tell you the specific terminology but each of my firearms is insured with the same company that has my homeowner's and vehicle insurance...each firearm is scheduled along with the estimated replacement value. It's a bit of a hassle if I sell one or buy one but without doing that I'd simply be out of luck were they stolen.

I have both a good safe and an alarm system and that seemed to make a difference to the underwriter I was working with - I had the feeling that had I not had both they may not have written the policy.

My insurance is with Traveler's.

Hope that helps some!

Agree with OP on checking out USAA if you are eligible - we switched everything (home, auto, umbrella) to them last year and overall saved aroudn 350 bucks a year for much better coverage (especially homeowners).

Here are two that write policies for firearm collections.

Collectibles Insurance Services. Example - - - $55,000 coverage for $329 a year (zero deductible). Underwritten by Lloyds of London.

Collectibles Insurance - Protecting Books, Stamps, Antiques and other Rare and Vintage collections in Baltimore, Maryland

Core-Vens Insurance. Example - - - $100,000 coverage for $350 a year ($1000 deductible). Underwritten by Travelers Insurance.

Core-Vens Insurance

Both are very easy to work with.

I went with Collectibles since it also has a relationship with Hagerty Collector Car Insurance which I also use.

USAA is also worth checking with (I'm a member), but once you get pass 10 or so firearms their rates go sky high.