Smith & Wesson Model 642

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best bang for the buck in J frame 38 Spl. really nice SD gun that you'll keep with you instead of leaving at home or in your car. Toss a speed loader and speed strip in your off hand pocket and keep on moving, basic and simple as it gets.

Guest Ae-35

The most likely Smith you'll see in pockets these days, good gun, they used to make better but in todays world, it'll do . J-frame comm. on this forum, pics, etc.

Edited by Ae-35
I think I will pick the gun up this afternoon.

If you have a choice, I would suggest getting the model withOUT the internal lock. If the shop doesn't have one in stock and if you're not in a hurry, they can order it that way.

If you're not familar why I said that about the lock, do some internet searches and you'll find plenty. In summary, they have been known in some cases to fail and "lock" up on their own while in use. It's not that common but has been reported enough to make you wonder.

Edited by Trekbike
Guest Ron E

IMHO it is the best all around concealed carry gun. I'm 55, been carrying and shooting handguns since I was 21 , tried them all .... always come back to my versitle and practical 642.

After a lot of research and listening to all of you I went to the gun shop today and purchased a Smith & Wesson 442 Airweight w/o the lock. I went to the range and put 50 rounds down range and the gun performed wonderfully. I am very happy with my purchase and now I need to look for a good pocket holster. Thanks for all your help in making my decision on this purchase.

33uy7ph_th.jpg

now I need to look for a good pocket holster.

Glad to hear things turned out well. Regarding pocket holsters, there are a ton of choices out there. Two that are very popular are posted below.

Uncle Mike's Inside the Pocket, size #3. You can usually find this locally. Inexpensive but works very well. It's what I normally use.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/inside_the_pocket_holsters.html

Mika's Pocket Holsters. At one time there was a long wait. Haven't checked if that is still the case.

Pocket Holster - Mika's Pocket Holsters

Some people go leather and kydex. You might want to start out with the Uncle Mike's and see how that works for you.

Glad to hear things turned out well. Regarding pocket holsters, there are a ton of choices out there. Two that are very popular are posted below.

Uncle Mike's Inside the Pocket, size #3. You can usually find this locally. Inexpensive but works very well. It's what I normally use.

http://www.unclemikes.com/products/inside_the_pocket_holsters.html

Mika's Pocket Holsters. At one time there was a long wait. Haven't checked if that is still the case.

Pocket Holster - Mika's Pocket Holsters

Some people go leather and kydex. You might want to start out with the Uncle Mike's and see how that works for you.

Lots of the rectangle pocket holsters have "dead space" between the barrel and trigger guard. I found the dead space on my pocket holster is just big enough to hold 5 rounds of .38. When I draw the gun, the holster and 5 spare rounds remain in the pocket for emergency use. Obviously a speed loader works better if you have the space and memory to bring it with you, but I at least know I've got 10 rounds with me at all times. I figure if I expend 5 rounds and still need more, I will probably be running for cover anyway.

A DeSantis Superfly actually sticks to the inside of your pocket. The gun comes out very smoothly. I've done the Uncle Mike's and a couple Galcos but like the DeSantis much better. I'm actually on my second DeSantis. My wife liked my first one.