Traveling on delta with a checked gun

kesava

Hey fellas, I am traveling on delta to Ohio and I will be taking my glock with me. I have read all of the instructions on the tsa and delta website and wanted to see if you guys had any extra tips? I need to have it unloaded in a case with a lock on it. Declare it at the desk and keep the ammo separate in it's own box. Anything else?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a TSA lock on the case and on the exterior of your bag. That way the TSA goons can open stuff up w/o cutting your locks off. You can get them pretty much anywhere (Target, Wal-Mart). Look for the little red diamond or red torch logo on the locks. Those indicate they are TSA approved and their goons have a key to open them.

I'd also put a slip of paper in the case with your name and phone number. They can call if there are any issues.

I can't speak for Delta, but I can speak for Southwest and US Airways. Both were similar, per TSA guidelines.

I put a gun lock on my Glock, emptied the magazines, and put my ammo in a box - all inside the standard Glock case. After that, I locked the box across the handle with a padlock. Keep your keys handy; when you declare your weapon, you will fill out a firearm declaration card - personal info, flight number, dated and signed. This will be placed inside your weapon's container. After security screening, you may be asked to acknowledge your bag and asked for your keys. I have had my bag inspected in my presence once and the other two occasions, nothing happened.

It was not a big deal on any occasion. Just make sure you declare at check-in and lock your weapon up.

Print out the regulations and have them with you in case you encounter an employee who doesn't know their own requirements.

I assume you've got a direct flight but if you have a lay-over, make sure you know the pertinent laws in the event you get stuck there. I recall a story about a guy who got stuck in New Jersey and ended up in jail for possessing an unlicensed gun.

Be patient.

Guest nicemac
Print out the regulations and have them with you in case you encounter an employee who doesn't know their own requirements.

I assume you've got a direct flight but if you have a lay-over, make sure you know the pertinent laws in the event you get stuck there. I recall a story about a guy who got stuck in New Jersey and ended up in jail for possessing an unlicensed gun.

Be patient.

I had friends with a direct flight to Grand Rapids that got redirected to Chicago due to bad weather at the destination. They had to rent a car and drive home. Had they had a gun and been in Chicago, even though they never intended to be there… I believe that's how the guy in Jersey got in trouble.

Guest nysos
Use a TSA lock on the case and on the exterior of your bag. That way the TSA goons can open stuff up w/o cutting your locks off. You can get them pretty much anywhere (Target, Wal-Mart). Look for the little red diamond or red torch logo on the locks. Those indicate they are TSA approved and their goons have a key to open them.

I'd also put a slip of paper in the case with your name and phone number. They can call if there are any issues.

I have never flown with a checked gun, but from everything I have read - most everyone says not to do this. Their regulations do not require them to have a key/access/combination to your locks, that is why you stand there when it is checked. Use the TSA locks if you want, then go through the trouble of an empty package showing up in Ohio. Just my 2 cents, but if I am not required to give them access to my luggage - I am not going to. Also the note with contact info is a good idea - but some also suggest to put a note that you will prosecute for any items that go missing.

Hey fellas, I am traveling on delta to Ohio and I will be taking my glock with me. I have read all of the instructions on the tsa and delta website and wanted to see if you guys had any extra tips? I need to have it unloaded in a case with a lock on it. Declare it at the desk and keep the ammo separate in it's own box. Anything else?

You're set. Don't try and invent extra work for yourself. It's not that big of a deal. The most I've had happen was in Denver - they had to put the bags on a cart and walk them to their scanners which were about 100 yards down the terminal. Other than that, easy peasy.

I have never flown with a checked gun, but from everything I have read - most everyone says not to do this. Their regulations do not require them to have a key/access/combination to your locks, that is why you stand there when it is checked. Use the TSA locks if you want, then go through the trouble of an empty package showing up in Ohio. Just my 2 cents, but if I am not required to give them access to my luggage - I am not going to. Also the note with contact info is a good idea - but some also suggest to put a note that you will prosecute for any items that go missing.

I have flown with pistols on both SouthWest and Delta without problems. nysos is correct, you do NOT have to use TSA locks on Gun Case and I'd recommend you not as well.

Be patient.

Good Advice, I heard it was Chicago though.

I think I have checked a handgun with every major carrier. I keep a roll of clear packing tape inside of my suitcase. After I sign the firearms declaration I tape it to the top of my handgun case inside of the suitcase so there is no doubt the firearm has been declared. Do not put TSA locks on your guncase. TSA says they will never open a case containing a firearm without the owner present.

When I flew Delta a few weeks ago they didn't charge me to check my bag on the way down to Orlando, but on the way home they DID charge me to check my bag. They refused to give me an explanation as to why it was free on the way down but not the way back.