should 18 year olds have ccw

Guest GLOCKGUY

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

If you are old enough to die for your country, my belief is you are old enough to enjoy all the rights and privilages you are willing to die for.

Certainly, I believe there should also be safeguards in place to prevent those unfit from certian privilages.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest Boomhower

I would have to say no to a HCP in TN at age 18. Speaking for myself, I "KNOW" that I was not ready for that responsibility at 18 yrs. of age, and 21 is a big iffy for some of our young demographic these days.

Guest jackdog

I would vote no, the maturity level for most eighteen year olds is just not there. As for military, again no these folks joined the military they were not drafted, and once again military or not the maturity level still may not be there.

Guest c.a.s.
check you numbers Cody, it would save you three years, LOL

They teach math in your school?

Yes they do, but not paying attention while typing doesn't help. Math done in 0.000000003 seconds isn't very accurate.

I am torn. When I was 18, I had just moved to TN to start college, and I don't think that I would have been ready to carry. When I got my first pistol a week after I turned 21, I was at a point that I would have been comfortable carrying. Then there is that whole issue that it took me 7 years to actually get around to doing it.

Guest jaypee

Here again, allowing a soldier's I.D. card to be his HCP won't work because he will not have been instructed in the laws pertaining to the use of deadly force in defense of life in the state where he is stationed. The "rules of engagement" in the military and in civilian life are extreme opposites.

Besides, I honestly can't see the military ever allowing its people to carry concealed firearms off post because of the principle of civilian control over the military, and because the military would be civilly liable for the soldiers' actions. I don't think the services would go for soldiers getting in armed confrontations with civilians, or at least this would be a real hurdle to overcome if soldiers did wish to carry. If my Army experience is any indication, the services would simply keep their people on post if the area was dangerous enough to call for widespread carry by military personnel. Does anyone know of any military organization that allows its people to have civilian HCP?

JayPee

Edited by jaypee
Guest 270win

I don't know of any military branch that allows members of the branch to carry issued weapons off base when here in the states, except the criminal investigators that have about the same powers as other fed agents. Nothing should keep a military person from getting a license/permit and carrying off base. I highly doubt anyone with a license/permit is ever allowed to carry a handgun loaded on a base, unless you are law enforcement with business on the base, base security, or fed law enforcement.

I have no problem with an 18 year old being issued a handgun carry permit. Some states go down to 18, such as New Hampshire and Alabama. On the books, California is even 18. Many states allow 18 year olds to carry loaded handguns openly or in cars, such as Mississippi (car), Louisiana, and Texas (car). 18yr olds can carry loaded in their cars or on their person without any license when 'on a journey' or 'to and from hunting' in Arkansas. I myself was given a 'car gun' when i turned 18 for traveling.

I would agree that most 18 year olds are not ready for the responsibility of carrying a gun. That being said i don't think society should leave them defenseless either and unfortunately in some cases the only effective means of defense would be a firearm.

I would agree that most 18 year olds are not ready for the responsibility of carrying a gun. That being said i don't think society should leave them defenseless either and unfortunately in some cases the only effective means of defense would be a firearm.

Good post.

Which begs the question, who should be the authority on when a person becomes a mature adult? The government doing so is a joke, really... Especially if the standards were changed, and everyone evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

at 18 years old, we allow people to make nearly any life-or-death decision for themselves... other than owning a pistol or drinking alcohol. If the average person doesn't become mature until 21, then so be it... driving, smoking, voting, drinking, shooting/carrying, joining the military, entering a contract, etc... should all be prohibited to anyone under 21. But if it's 18, make it 18... If we must have social controls to regulate permisson of immature people whose parent's and peers don't bother to keep them in line, then let's at least be consistent.

at 18 years old, we allow people to make nearly any life-or-death decision for themselves... other than owning a pistol or drinking alcohol. If the average person doesn't become mature until 21, then so be it... driving, smoking, voting, drinking, shooting/carrying, joining the military, entering a contract, etc... should all be prohibited to anyone under 21. But if it's 18, make it 18... If we must have social controls to regulate permisson of immature people whose parent's and peers don't bother to keep them in line, then let's at least be consistent.

That's pretty much my point in a nutshell. It's not so much that I want 18-20 year olds armed...as much as you are either a "legal" adult at 18 or 21...someone needs to make up their mind.

Cigarettes are so bad for you they can't be advertised on TV and have many other strong restrictions, unlike alcohol advertising, but you can buy cigs and smoke at 18, but not drink till 21.

As long as I'm up on my soap box.....again it's not much that I want 18-20 year olds doing it, but I don't like drinking age being 21 in that it is because of the federal government holding funds over the states heads that made them all raise the drinking age to 21...what about state's right?!

Ok....sorry....for the little rant.

Guest HexHead
I can't agree.

Military life is characterized by discipline and oversight. Civilian life isn't. If carry permit holders age 18-21 were forced to go through basic training then I might be inclined.

I completely agree. Most 18 yr olds in civilian society aren't mature enough to handle the responsibility that goes with carrying a firearm.

Guest atomemphis

I want 18 y.o.'s to have the ability to have guns. Heaven forbid I have a daughter. Should that happen (50/50 chance) I hope to give her more than mace to protect herself in college.

Two recent incidents throughout the southeast (Auburn / UNC) show instances when defenseless females could have been armed.

Guest TargetShooter84

I'm happy with the current law we have now....21 for most things such as drinking and HCP/CCW. No need to change it.

I have my draft card up on the front of my shadow box.

2324525297_a741aa3189.jpg

It's the middle card in the front. I need a bigger shadow box.

Issued six days after my 18th birthday.

You are either an adult or not. At 18, you are legally an adult. You can kill and be killed for your country. You can be prosecuted for sleeping with you 17 year old girlfriend. But you can't buy beer and you can't carry a handgun.

This strikes me an extremely unjust.

If you want to argue that the age when you become an adult should be 21, or 25 , or 40, then fine. But don't tell me that you are an adult for some things at 18 but other things at 21. That's just stupid.

Guest tjbert47
check you numbers Cody, it would save you three years, LOL

They teach math in your school?

Never mind I see he is 16. Carry on.

Edited by tjbert47

If you want to argue that the age when you become an adult should be 21, or 25 , or 40, then fine. But don't tell me that you are an adult for some things at 18 but other things at 21. That's just stupid.

OK, I wont tell you.

But that's a fact. We draft 18 year olds (when we did that sort of thing) because they are physically fit and easily malleable and dont have things like wives and children. They're also done with high school.

It used to be that 21 was legal for anything. And we still had 18 year olds serving in the military.

I dont know why different ages for different things is so offensive to some people. Try renting a car when you're in 23. Try running for president at age 30. So what? I've already mentioned that the military is a completely different context from civilian life, especially for an 18 year old.

Look at the stats on fatalities for drivers 18-21 vs drivers over 21. There's a reason insurance rates are so much higher.