Concrete trailer?

I have seen on the web and heard from a few folks that you can rent a small pull behind unit with up to a yard of concrete already mixed in it for small jobs. I am wanting to put one of those metal buildings from Lowe's on a slab in my backyard but I don't believe a concrete truck will make it into the back yard as the fence opening is too small. Does anyone know of a place that rents these around the Memphis area? Other suggestions are welcome if you have experience with these buildings. I figure I'll have about $600 to $650 in the project if I do it this way. Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Concrete begins to "cook" as soon as it's mixed. It's actually a chemical reaction, and has a set working time. I think you might be thinking of pull behind mixers where you can mix your own concrete onsite in quantities bigger than what you're going to want to mix in a wheelbarrow. I may be wrong, but can't actually see anyone renting a trailer for premixed concrete because it would only take one person waiting too long to pour, or not cleaning it out correctly to destroy the equipment.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I needed about 6 yards of concrete in a place where I couldn't get a truck. I knew I didn't want to mix that much concrete out of bags, but couldn't get a truck to where I needed it.

I ended up getting the concrete truck to come to the curb and shuttled the concrete back in forth in a bobcat that I rented with a bucket for a half day. It wasn't cheap, but it was certainly cheaper than buying Sakrete. And, my back certainly was thankful.

Concrete begins to "cook" as soon as it's mixed. It's actually a chemical reaction, and has a set working time. I think you might be thinking of pull behind mixers where you can mix your own concrete onsite in quantities bigger than what you're going to want to mix in a wheelbarrow. I may be wrong, but can't actually see anyone renting a trailer for premixed concrete because it would only take one person waiting too long to pour, or not cleaning it out correctly to destroy the equipment.

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago. I needed about 6 yards of concrete in a place where I couldn't get a truck. I knew I didn't want to mix that much concrete out of bags, but couldn't get a truck to where I needed it.

I ended up getting the concrete truck to come to the curb and shuttled the concrete back in forth in a bobcat that I rented with a bucket for a half day. It wasn't cheap, but it was certainly cheaper than buying Sakrete. And, my back certainly was thankful.

I spent a couple of summers in my youth prepping, pouring and finishing slabs and driveways, this was our preferred method for getting concrete into hard to reach places. Have it mixed wet, fill the bucket on a skidsteer and take it where you want it.

I think you are thinking of the portable mixers you see behind a truck.

Call around to some more concrete companies and see if any of them have a pumper truck instead of just a regular shoot. We had the same problem last summer and finally found a company that had a pump truck, they are a little more pricey but it beats wheelbarrowing.

Guest Lester Weevils

Ditto on a pumper.

We did a back-of-house slab that would otherwise have required multiple people driving wheelbarrows down planks and over rough ground to get the thing poured.

Using a pumper hose ain't "easy" because concrete is heavy as heck regardless. But it was pretty easy to do the initial pour "evenly" across the whole form by walking around holding the hose and spreading the concrete "automatically" everywhere it needed to be. Meaning a lot less shovel work leveling it out at the end, and no wheelbarrow work at all.

We poured the concrete and leveled etc. Just hired the concrete company to deliver and pump. Didn't know anything about pumpers and the driver was real helpful with instructions and a couple of times when it got dicey he even grabbed a shovel and jumped in to help. Gave the driver a few bucks extra for his fabulous assistance.

This company had the pump on a trailer that followed-along behind the concrete truck. They hooked up the hoses, cranked up the pump, then would dump concrete from the truck into a big bin on top of the pump.

edit: You need tall rubber boots or rubber overalls because otherwise you will get incredibly messy spraying out concrete. The high point of the day was when the hose got away from my friend and he ended up sitting in several inches of concrete.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I have seen and used these trailers. They were actually very common in Washington State where I used to live. Mostly it was a sideline for equipment rental or landscape material stores. I was very surprised when I moved to east TN and couldn't find anyone who rented them here. (Perhaps it's because the hills make trailers very difficult to maneuver.)

Guest nicemac

I rented one from Saf-T-Lites in Memphis years ago. Looks like they still do it.

Concrete, Driveways, Construction, Safety-Quip, Memphis, TN

You Pull It Concrete

We offer ¼ to 1 ¼ yard concrete buckets that hook onto the back of your trucks. These buckets will help you get concrete to those hard-to-reach places or small jobs that do not require small trucks.

Let Me Google That For You

Edited by nicemac

Ditto on this. I poured my own at my last house and after considering every option, this was the best one. Just order the min and pour a little bit bigger. We did it w/ 3 guys and wheelbarrows.

• Admin Team

It's worth doing the math to figure out exactly how much you'll need. It'll save you a lot of money.

Remember too, that you want the slab to be roughly the same dimensions as the building on at least three sides, and you need to really watch your slope on the fourth if you choose to extend it. Otherwise, you'll constantly be fighting water inside your building.

As a kid, we had a "Scout Hut" that we stored all our scout troop's equipment in. The slab was about 6" larger than the building on all sides. Every time it rained we had puddles for weeks!

^ Good advice! That hadn't even crossed my mind! The more I look at these steel sheds on the internet the more I am talking myself out of it. They just look so flimsy. I know you get what you pay for but this seems to be the best option in our price range. I wish I had about $2000 to do it right but the wife has already allocated the funds. haha

This one in particular was 10x12. Here's the situation. My wife and I just bought a new house and among all the other stuff we have to buy I need somewhere to store the 4wheeler, lawnmower, and all the other small stuff(shovels, tools, etc. I have considered a carport cover but to close the sides and ends in is really expensive. I have also looked at the "shed in a box" from shelter logic but it looks like it would be a waste of money.