First time in Tennessee! (and some questions)

Guest greenhorn

Guest greenhorn

Hi everyone!

Recent years I've experienced an increased longing for America. I'm not interested in NY, the Niagra falls or Las Vegas - I want to see and experience the South!

So, I am packing my bags and going to Tennessee within a few weeks! I will visit both Memphis and Nashville and then continue my way down to coastal South Carolina. ( The route isn't decided yet but somehow through alabama/georgia. We will plan from day to day)

If anyone have suggestions for any smaller towns/activities/must-do or a proposal for the driving-route that would be very appreciated!:)

In Tennessee I am planning to go to the rollerderby, eat a whole lot of smokeribbs, visit Chattanoga lookout mountain and visit a gun range! In my country (Sweden ) we have very strict gunlaws and I haven't hold a rifle since my military service. I dont want to sound like a gunnut but I would really like to take the opportunity and once again hold a firearm. Now here my questions:

1: how much does it cost to go to a random gunrange? pay per round or per hour?

2: do I need some kind of gunpermit?

3: are there handguns only or are shotguns available as well?

4: any gunrange recomendations for a beginner?

From what I can see, it seems like there is an unusual friendly tone in this forum. I hope you have Tennesse folks have the energy to answear my questions, it would be of great help!

Thank you!

/Robert, Sweden

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Most gun ranges are roughly $20 for a lane plus the cost of renting the gun and ammo. So you're looking at maybe $50 for a trip. I highly recommend visiting Great Smoky Mountain National Park if you're in the area. I'd skip Memphis unless you're just deadset on the BBQ. Have a great trip and welcome to the States.

Welcome to the states! I grew up in Memphis and can say that they do have great BBQ but you'll have a better trip the further east you come. As far as the shooting ranges go, I live near the Knoxville area and would be happy to take you shooting here at our local range if you decide to come this far east. The only cost to you would be for ammunition. No permits or special papers would be neccessary. Just PM me if you're interested and have a great trip!

- Oh, and there's nothing wrong with being a gun nut!

Edited by gnmwilliams
Guest clownsdd
if you come to TN and waste time in Memphis instead of visiting the Smoky Mountains you are making a real big mistake.

At any rate have a fun trip.

Mike, he wants BBQ and Memphis, regardless of what the rest of the state might think, has the best.

As well as several gunranges that would welcome you.

There is NO WAY I would purchase imitation bbq in another part of the state.

Mike, he wants BBQ and Memphis, regardless of what the rest of the state might think, has the best.

As well as several gunranges that would welcome you.

There is NO WAY I would purchase imitation bbq in another part of the state.

Memphis does not have the market cornered on BBQ, freaking any place can make it and lots of places here serve it up. As for BBQ or ribs this is what he said

whole lot of smokeribbs

as for gunranges, if the dude wants to shoot he can PM me and come to my place and shoot any of my stuff.

How is that for an invite? LOL

Edited by Mike.357

oh BS, :)

TD's and M&M make as good a BBQ as any place. Heck I can't imagine any place in Memphis has anything on Scruggs.

And besides you all missed the point of he said RIBS, ( well RIBBS but I got it)

All Memphis has on Knoxville is that place that fries burgers in 100 year old grease :)

Thanks for choosing the South to visit. Tennessee is a great place to explore but when you go through South Carolina, don't get off the interstate! They eat Mustard based barbecue in South Carolina, if that tells you anything. :)

Guest skinner

When you go through Nashville, try a place called B & C BBQ. Here is the address

900 Rosa L Parks Boulevard

Nashville, TN 37208

(615) 770-0032

Guest bkelm18
if you go to Charleston visit Ft Sumter and the Yorktown

+1. Both are great. Lots of history to be learned. At Patriot's Point, you can tour a few different military vessels. The aircraft carrier Yorktown, and few other smaller ships including a submarine. All WWII era of course. Ft. Sumter is just an awesome place to visit. I lived down there for 3 yrs and visited those often.

Guest clownsdd
oh BS, :)

TD's and M&M make as good a BBQ as any place. Heck I can't imagine any place in Memphis has anything on Scruggs.

And besides you all missed the point of he said RIBS, ( well RIBBS but I got it)

All Memphis has on Knoxville is that place that fries burgers in 100 year old grease :)

Much better BBQ, Blues, Beale Street, River View, etc.....and we are the South, but just no mountains.

Robert, check out a whitewater rafting trip down the Ocoee river fun fun. We have used Adventures Unlimited for several day trips you can do a guided trip for 1/2 day and its LOADS of fun and beautiful. note: if you hear banjo music paddle faster I have the displeasure of working in Memphis from time to time you can have it. Nashville is great. And like the others have said the Smokies are beautiful but small in comparison to the mountains of your area. You can visit Nashville then head to Chattanooga and swing thru to the Ocoee and head towards east Tennessee. What ever you decide have a great trip to the area.

Guest greenhorn

First of all, thank y'all for the tips and suggestions! I didn't realise that the BBQ and ribs were such a hot potatoe... Since I love it so much I will definately try it at different locations and find out where they serve the best... I've heard that Memphis has got the best, but whats the expression, Big hat, no cattle...? Many of you speak of GSM, and the route isn't 100 % decided and ,even before, I've heard only positive about Great Smokey Mountains so maybe I should go there. I am very excited about the trip and I am thanking you all for wishing me luck!

Most gun ranges are roughly $20 for a lane plus the cost of renting the gun and ammo. So you're looking at maybe $50 for a trip. I highly recommend visiting Great Smoky Mountain National Park if you're in the area. I'd skip Memphis unless you're just deadset on the BBQ. Have a great trip and welcome to the States.

Allright the prices sounds fair! Do most ranges have shotguns as well?

Thanks for choosing the South to visit. Tennessee is a great place to explore but when you go through South Carolina, don't get off the interstate! They eat Mustard based barbecue in South Carolina, if that tells you anything. :)

Yack, thanks for the warning! :)

Definitely visit Charleston if you make your way through SC. Great town with great food and lots of history.
if you go to Charleston visit Ft Sumter and the Yorktown

Allready scheduled! Ft Sumter is obvious but I didn't know about Yorktown! Is it true that during the siege of Ft Sumter no one was killed untill after the battle?

When you go through Nashville, try a place called B & C BBQ. Here is the address

900 Rosa L Parks Boulevard

Nashville, TN 37208

(615) 770-0032

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Jack Daniel's Distillary in Lynchburg is interesting to visit. Some correct me if I'm wrong but I think they've recently changed the laws so you can actually sample???

I am not a really big fan of whiskey but since it's a world known brand I might check it out. Whats your opinion on Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House? Is it nothing but a big tourist trap or worth going to?

Robert, check out a whitewater rafting trip down the Ocoee river fun fun. We have used Adventures Unlimited for several day trips you can do a guided trip for 1/2 day and its LOADS of fun and beautiful. note: if you hear banjo music paddle faster I have the displeasure of working in Memphis from time to time you can have it. Nashville is great. And like the others have said the Smokies are beautiful but small in comparison to the mountains of your area. You can visit Nashville then head to Chattanooga and swing thru to the Ocoee and head towards east Tennessee. What ever you decide have a great trip to the area.

I like adventures, thanks!

Guest bkelm18
First of all, thank y'all for the tips and suggestions! I didn't realise that the BBQ and ribs were such a hot potatoe... Since I love it so much I will definately try it at different locations and find out where they serve the best... I've heard that Memphis has got the best, but whats the expression, Big hat, no cattle...? Many of you speak of GSM, and the route isn't 100 % decided and ,even before, I've heard only positive about Great Smokey Mountains so maybe I should go there. I am very excited about the trip and I am thanking you all for wishing me luck!

Allright the prices sounds fair! Do most ranges have shotguns as well?

Yes, BBQ is something us southerners take very seriously. :) As far as rental shotguns, it depends on the range, but I'd say a large portion of public ranges allow only handguns, at least in the eastern part of the state.

Whats your opinion on Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House? Is it nothing but a big tourist trap or worth going to?

You've done a good amount of research. I'd say more of an over rated tourist attraction. I've only been once several years ago. The food is decent but not cheap. Family style serving, so all you can eat. Each table has a hostess that tells you the history. I wouldn't make a special trip just for that but if you do go to Jack Daniels and do the tour it might be worthwhile depending on your likes. Some people really like it, me not so much.

I did want to tell you that I really like to travel to Sweden. I've gotten to travel to several countries and Sweden is my favorite. I even drive a Volvo. LOL. I've been there about 5 or 6 times to work with a heater supplier for my company. We stay in Vasteras due to where the company is located.

Good luck when you come to the US.

Jack Daniel's Distillary in Lynchburg is interesting to visit. Some correct me if I'm wrong but I think they've recently changed the laws so you can actually sample???

You are wrong, no samples. The only place in the county you can buy it will be by the bottle in the gift shop at the distillary. There is no where in the county to buy it for consumption by the drink.

Hey Greenhorn, If you make it to upper East Tn. in Piney Flats we have a new shooting range the name is Shooter's Edge. The lane cost is $20 an hour $10 for extra person. The handgun rentals are $10 most handguns and the shotgun,rifle,and ar's range from $10-$30 an hour.

We also have Ridgewood bbq I don't know if it's the best, but it's the best I have eaten. I think it is probably 40 years old, it is a hole in the wall kind of place but you will have to wait in line at lunch or supper. Hope you have a great time in a great state.