Shooting tips?

GregBrady

Went to the range yesterday for the second time firing my 1911 and I aim down the sites gently pull the trigger so it wont go off target and it didn't even hit the paper. At first I thought it was the gun so i just emptied the magazine rapidly and the went some what in the center target area. I let a buddy shoot my 1911 and he was right on the center (hes a brand new shooter). So its me it seems, but I can't figure out what im doing wrong. My guess is EXTREMELY bad flenching on my part. Can anyone help me out here to figure out what im doing wrong or what i can do to help my aiming? Thanks.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac

I have Crimson Trace grips on my handguns that shoot a laser toward the target. By dry-firing the gun with the laser on, you can see exactly what happens to the muzzle when you squeeze the trigger. I was shocked how much I moved the gun around. (fun to watch people at the range as well–you can really see some shake around a lot)

After a lot of practice dry firing and holding the gun/laser steady, I was able to greatly improve my shot placement.

You don't have to get a laser, but it really gives you good visual feedback. Practice dry firing and watch the muzzle move around. Practice until it doesn't move around, then head back to the range.

^^^ what he said is great. Also, get a poster board or a large man-target or whatever. You have to know where you are hitting to improve (for example, are you making a tight "group" 3 feet to the left, or no group at all?). If you do not want to buy a laser sight, you can get a laser bore sight for practice or mount any old cheap laser pointer device to your gun, with say some tie-wraps. The point is how much the laser pointer moves around as you shoot, try to hold it still. Buying a set of expensive laser sights just for practice isnt necessary. I desensitize myself to my 1911 by shooting a 44 magnum for a while. Its like going from a 9mm to a .22, all of a sudden the recoil seems mild, the noise level low, the gun is lighter, and all around it seems to make it easier for me to shoot the 45. That may not be an option if you do not have a bigger gun, but it does help some.

A whole lot of variables there.

If you think you might have a flinch, double plug next time you go shoot, even if you're shooting outside. With greatly reduced sound, you may find that you can concentrate better on sight control.

If you think that your trigger finger is changing your point of aim just before firing and you don't want to invest in a laser, when dry firing, balance a dime on the top of the slide just behind the front site. Unless you have a flat topped slide, it will be tricky keeping it balanced there when depressing the trigger.

There is a diagnostic target available for download on the web that will give you general ideas of things to look at. Basically, you aim at the center, and whereever your shots are going will tell you the "general" cause.

Mac

I am also wondering if there is a sight alignment problem. I don't know what size target he is shooting at. If it is a standard range target, that would have to be a hellacious flinch to miss while slow firing at 5 yards.

Guest bkelm18

If you're missing at 5 yds, flinching or improper positioning of your trigger finger are probably the culprits. Dry fire, A LOT. Buy some snap caps/dummy rounds and mix them in next time you're at the range. Maybe have a buddy load your mags for you and randomly put in a snap cap so that you don't know if you're about to fire a dummy or a live round. I flinched a lot when I first started shooting and I still do a tiny bit every now and then. It just takes practice.

The ammo does not matter at close range. That sounds like flinch for sure. Most folks will say a 1911 45 has low recoil, but I let 2 friends try mine this week, both sort of novice shooters who mostly shoot .22, and they both said it had a lot of recoil. It can be hard to get over a flinch, the noise and recoil combined are significant to someone who is not used to it. The best thing to do is to try to get past it mentally, by not thinking about it. Focus your mind on holding your breath, holding the gun steady, lining up the sights, gently pulling the trigger without moving the gun, standing steady and properly, etc. You should be too busy thinking about other stuff to be thinking about the noise or recoil, and soon you will become used to both and it will be a non-issue. Every time you flinch, replay the shot in your mind and tell yourself that the recoil was not bad and the noise not too loud.

Ok. I just tried a quarter,dime,nickle and penny and balanced it on my front site because it has more of a chance to fall off and none fell off. I tried the laser from about 25-30 yrds and it doesn't move from trigger pull but it does move around in general just from trying to focus on a small point. The laser only moved around on a 5in target but not from the initial trigger pull. My guess it could be knowing that I have a round in the chamber. Not sure wish I could get some help at the range.

Ok. I just tried a quarter,dime,nickle and penny and balanced it on my front site because it has more of a chance to fall off and none fell off. I tried the laser from about 25-30 yrds and it doesn't move from trigger pull but it does move around in general just from trying to focus on a small point. The laser only moved around on a 5in target but not from the initial trigger pull. My guess it could be knowing that I have a round in the chamber. Not sure wish I could get some help at the range.

Then go get some help. There's plenty of classes available at ranges in the area. Several of the vendors here offer classes.

I'll agree that it sounds like a flinch. Keep practicing dry firing with a coin on the slide. You might invest in a .22 pistol to help cure the flinch and learn your tendencies. Double up on the hearing protection (muffs over plugs). Find an outdoor range. Noise and muzzle blast are much, much worse at an indoor range.

Guest frank318

Might be anticipation of the recoil. Your pushing down slightly to try to counter the recoil. Could be why your shots hit more on your rapid fire than your first shot.

What size target are you using? Get a full size silhouette and move it into 3 yards. First thing you need to know is WHERE your rounds are going.

If you are a new shooter, I would bet you are going low, likely a stance or grip problem. Are you moving (drooping) your head? Is the target level with your eyes, or are you aiming down to begin with? A target below eye level, a drooping head, failure to hold your wrist steady, and it's easy to start digging dirt. Most new righthanded shooters will begin shooting low left.

Put a silhoutte target so the head is level with your head. Aim center of head and see if you land a round somewhere. If not move your point of aim progressively down the target. At three yards you should eventually hit something. If not use a 4 x 8 sheet of .25 inch pressboard. Once you land some rounds somewhere you can begin to figure out why.

guntargettingpattern.gif

What size target are you using? Get a full size silhouette and move it into 3 yards. First thing you need to know is WHERE your rounds are going.

If you are a new shooter, I would bet you are going low, likely a stance or grip problem. Are you moving (drooping) your head? Is the target level with your eyes, or are you aiming down to begin with? A target below eye level, a drooping head, failure to hold your wrist steady, and it's easy to start digging dirt. Most new righthanded shooters will begin shooting low left.

Put a silhoutte target so the head is level with your head. Aim center of head and see if you land a round somewhere. If not move your point of aim progressively down the target. At three yards you should eventually hit something. If not use a 4 x 8 sheet of .25 inch pressboard. Once you land some rounds somewhere you can begin to figure out why.

guntargettingpattern.gif

Just simply looking at this target helped me (just the left handed version). I was under the "Jerking or Slapping the Trigger" and have gotten better.